Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: September 15, 2022 08:35AM

The "I am a Mormon" campaign was just one prophet ago, yeah? Thomas S. Monson.

I'm gonna laugh when Oaks is President(or whoever is next) and he says "actually, god told me super special that Mormon is totally cool to say and that it's alright for our identity and branding." Heck, I'll laugh if Nelson himself comes out and says that.

I imagine the revelation couched in terms along the lines of, "You keep correcting people to use the right words and policing language we ourselves used for almost a decade and it's a bit offputting and causes unneeded contention."

I left the church in between that flip flop they did about kids with gay parents. But I wonder if that would have affected my testimony to see god represented as indecisive? It certainly affected my testimony the implied lies of being taught certain things about church history only for them to change the story with the essays later. So, I wonder how a more overt flip flop flip flop would affect testimonies. I'm very curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 15, 2022 10:29AM

The prophet is God’s mouthpiece, so obviously God is very indecisive.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 19, 2022 09:46PM

God needs to change his meds. The mellow high of the New Testament God is an improvement over the agitated and paranoid Old Testament God, but now He is too spacey.

He should ask Jesus to cook up something like when he turned water into wine. You would think 2000 years is long enough to bone up on psychiatry.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 20, 2022 10:03AM

The Mormon god is exactly as omniscient, wise and insightful as elderly upper-class white guys living in an insular culture.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 15, 2022 10:50AM

>>I imagine the revelation couched in terms along the lines of, "You keep correcting people to use the right words and policing language we ourselves used for almost a decade and it's a bit offputting and causes unneeded contention."

That is so true!
I think maybe in the future they will just pretend all the silly flip flopping never happened. Or maybe they will succeed in making the word have pejorative undertones in the general population.

Many decades from now, the old members will be saying, "Remember when they kept changing what we could be called? I wonder why they don't talk about that anymore."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 15, 2022 11:34AM

The prophet will declare that his people shall be called the doubleplusgoodites instead of Mormons.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 15, 2022 03:06PM

'It was just a test"

--Church News

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: September 15, 2022 04:17PM

I don't think it will be overtly rescinded. What I suspect will happen is that Oaks et al. simply won't bother to bring it up. It will become like the one-earring rule (Hinckley's pet peeve): the individual members and local leaders will police themselves and each other, and "no say mormon" will be self-perpetuating as a virtue signal.

It may prove too expensive and cumbersome to officially revert all the domain names, and the "mormon" and "lds" domains still work anyway. The old MoTab choir name is likely to return however.

Date: September 15, 2022 04:26PM

I don't think it will be rescinded. They're going to have double speak. It won't be bad to say Mormon but I'm a Mormon is dead I believe.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 05:32AM

I think the next president will drop the name "Mormon" casually in a speech. He will pretend that what Rusty said never happened.

Date: September 15, 2022 04:46PM

I can't see Jesus, upon his return, telling the world, "Hi, I'm Jesus, and I'm the mormon ghawd!  All of you who rejected my missionaries are in for it now!  Plus the Cougars are going to play in the NFL!!!"

But who knows . . .?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 15, 2022 04:48PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Hi, I'm Jesus, and I'm the mormon ghawd!  

Yes, we know that. Sad, isn't it?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 15, 2022 04:48PM

My prediction:
Mormon will continue to be verboten. If they are trying to lock the BoM in the attic because it is too racist, they simply must stop using the word "Mormon"

LDS and Latter-day Saint will be acceptable names for members of TCOJCOLDS, and for the church itself. Why Rusty declared those names unacceptable is completely beyond me. What was he thinking?

And since temples are now the raison d'être of the LDS Church, maybe they can rebrand as "The Church of Jesus Christ of Together 4Ever, nickname "The JC 4Evers".

Hey, they've been called worse things. :)

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 15, 2022 08:44PM

they are too evil ~

an not smart enough ~

to succeed in they endeavors ~

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: September 15, 2022 08:48PM

The next campaign might go like this:

My name is Cheezus. I like parodies, and I'm not a victory for Satan.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 09:52AM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 11:05AM

Brother of Jerry (not Jared!) said:

> "My prediction:
Mormon will continue to be verboten. If they are trying to lock the BoM in the attic because it is too racist, they simply must stop using the word 'Mormon'"

A couple of thoughts:

What if the BoM is informally "locked...in the attic," sort of quietly retired? They could casually reference (cherrypick) parts of it, and gradually let problem parts get memory-holed. That would further allow them to "evolve" tCoJCoLdS into a quasi-Evangelical "denomination." Less cultish. "Sure, the BoM is an authoritative, sacred text, but only if you want to deep-dive into doctrine. Otherwise, attendance at chapel and the temple are sufficient for most people." (Tithing, too!)

A sort of passive-aggressive repudiation of the BoM, would take years, but could salvage tCoJCoLdS.

They could, in reverse, do the same thing with the name "Mormon:" casually reintroduce it. First, let it reappear in Deseret News, then get bishops and stake presidents use it in the wards, then let it show up incrementally in church periodicals and web pages, etc. Nelson is thus quietly repudiated. Passive-aggressive, you know.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 12:50PM

It will be interesting to see how they tiptoe slowly away from the Book of Mormon.

Throughout most of my life, it has been “the keystone of our religion,” and “the most correct of any book on earth.” Now Rusty says “It is not a text book of history.”

Like so many things in TSCC these days, they need to move away from the troublesome aspects of the church, but not change so quickly that they alienate the long term stalwart members.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 18, 2022 03:20PM

Yup and some of the old people that need to die before more change happens is the leaders themselves.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 18, 2022 01:53PM

I think a passive-aggressive repudiation of the BoM is exactly what they are doing right now. Yes, it will take decades. I’m thinking something like 70 years, maybe more. It is a foundational document of the religion, so it must be relegated to the memory hole slowly and carefully, to arouse a minimum of notice.

But they will never relegate it to the memory hole if the word “Mormon” is the main church identifier. Nelson has come to the conclusion that however much damage dumping the name causes, they really have no choice. The book is simply too racist/white supremacist to keep around. I think Nelson is right about that.

They are in a lose-lose situation.

Date: September 18, 2022 04:04PM

Yeah...  And it's probably too late to change ghawds.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 18, 2022 05:20PM

Oh, I don't know. In the Bible Elohim became YHWH, and YHWH became Jesus.

That represents something of a problem since Elohim and YHWH were famously genocidal and even specicidal whereas Jesus is a God of love, but his followers manage to finesse that problem without much difficulty.

Never underestimate the ability of humans to live with logical contradiction.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 18, 2022 04:10PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think a passive-aggressive repudiation of the
> BoM is exactly what they are doing right now. Yes,
> it will take decades. I’m thinking something
> like 70 years, maybe more. It is a foundational
> document of the religion, so it must be relegated
> to the memory hole slowly and carefully, to arouse
> a minimum of notice.

Interesting that these old men would be thinking on a multi-generational timeline, but I think you're right. If so, it suggests that they really believe in tCoJCoLdS, and not just their even-older old age and their grandchildren, but generations to come after.
>
> But they will never relegate it to the memory hole
> if the word “Mormon” is the main church
> identifier.

Suffering a painful hurt now to forestall an even more painful hit later.

The book is simply too
> racist/white supremacist to keep around. I think
> Nelson is right about that.

True that, but I think the most damning thing is the entire premise of ancient Hebrew civilization in the Western Hemisphere.
>
> They are in a lose-lose situation.

I see something similar developing in my "cult of personal origin," Christian Science: a gradual slide in quasi-Evangelical religiosity. The question remains just how much this is deliberate (re-)engineering.

Date: September 18, 2022 04:20PM

Date: September 18, 2022 09:56PM

One prophet who's in power for a few years isn't going to change almost two centuries of language use. When Russ announced that Mormon was a victory for Lucifer, I saw the guy was not with reality and quite full of himself. You would assume a guy as educated as he is would be more intelligent and realistic but apparently he's an educated idiot.

So Russ's reforms and changes are going to be like punching a waterbed mattress. It changes as soon as you punch it and it causes ripples for a while but will settle back to normal as soon as who's punching it stops.

Russ will be known for the guy who made church an hour shorter and he will be well thought of because of that. One less boring hour.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 19, 2022 09:23PM

A Jewish businessman sent his son to Israel for a year to absorb the culture. When the son returned he said, “Papa, I had a great time in Israel. By the way, I converted to Christianity.”“Oy vey,” said the father. “What have I done?” He took his problem to his best friend.“Sam,” he said, “I sent my son to Israel, and he came home a Christian. What can I do?” “Funny you should ask,” said Sam. “I, too, sent my son to Israel, and he also came home a Christian. Perhaps we should go see the Rabbi.” So they did, and they explained their problem. “Funny you should ask,” said the rabbi. “I, too, sent my son to Israel, and he also came home a Christian. What is happening to our young people?” And so they all prayed, telling the Lord about their sons. When they finished their prayers, a Charlton Heston – like voice came from the heavens: “Funny you should ask,” said the voice. “I, too, sent my son to Israel and…"

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 21, 2022 02:29AM

" language we ourselves used for almost a decade"

Actually every prophet before Rusty was fine with it.

Date: September 21, 2022 11:23AM

Good point and nice to see you! I loved your this day in Mormon History.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 21, 2022 10:22AM

So what are the odds if you contacted the missionaries and told them- I am interested in learning about Mormons and the LDS church

-that the missionaries would chuckle and correct you IMMEDIATELY about being members and not Mormons and that too long of a name for their stupid church.

Date: September 21, 2022 11:15AM

I get the impression the apostles are under a huge amount of peer pressure. They play their hand close to the chest. When one finally becomes prophet they either let things run the way they have or they make some changes usually motivated by outside pressure on the church or a large trend of complaints inside the church.

Russ is a black sheep. He and his wife clearly have HUGE egos and they are out to make a legacy for themselves. COVID threw a huge wrench in their agenda and slowed it down a lot. It may have even humbled them a tad.

But Russ is going to slow down. I had a great aunt who was sharp as a tack and healthy at 95 and after that she steadily went downhill. At 104 she told us she was ready to pass on. At 105 she did.

When people tell me they want to live to be 100 I tell them be careful for what they wish for. I've seen people live short wonderful lives and I've seen old people live for decades being miserable. It's not how long you live, it's what you do while you are here.

Date: September 21, 2022 11:24AM

And the reverse is true too. I've seen wonderful long lived and happy tragically weed short lived.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.