Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 10:49PM

I usually wear a colored shirt to keep the idiots guessing but today I had on a white dress shirt and (gasp!) no garments.

The SP gave me the old garment feel up.

Oh well.

Hey, it's hot out there. What kind of idiot would wear clown underwear in this weather?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 10:52PM

Was this a shock to him, or do you think he probably wasn't too surprised? (ie, how "out" are you?)

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 10:58PM

I don't think it shocked him. I haven't been to church for a couple of years now. But it wasn't that long ago that I had a stake calling and all that jazz, ie, high priest, clerk in bishopric, etc. They don't know what to do about people like me who were valiant, super scripture reader etc.

He couldn't resist feeling me up though.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 11:12PM

…via the garment feel-up.

I joined as an adult, and I was blissfully ignorant about the “garment feel-up” the entire time. I learned about it later from RfM.

The whole notion that a person would rub someone's shoulder in order to gain information that they would not dare to ask directly (knowing good and well that it is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS) is sneaky and creepy.

Get a life, SP!

Posted by: Peeps ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 11:09PM

Please explain this "garment feel up." i cant imagine someone that you arent close with touching you in a way that would allow them to tell if you are wearing garments or not.  That seems really weird.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 11:12PM

Yeah I don't get the "feel-up" part. Was he just eyeballing you up and down or what?

Date: July 13, 2011 11:18PM

The garment top has a little cap shoulder which apparently can be felt if someone rubs your shoulder in a way that a family member or good friend who hasn't seen you for it while might rub it. So while pretending to greet you in an affectionate way, the person is ACTUALLY checking to see if you are wearing the temple garment like you are supposed to be doing.

Posted by: peeps ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 12:58AM

What is a cap shoulder? Are we talking about men's or women's. Because from what I remember from men's garments, there is nothing that would distinguish it from a t-shirt or some other undergarment.

...unless they were feeling for the little markers, and that would be just. weird.

Date: July 14, 2011 01:09AM

I initially put the wrong link in my post below. I have corrected the link now. Give it a try and you'll find pictures of the garments.

Date: July 13, 2011 11:41PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_garment

Ignore the old-fashioned one-piecer. Scroll down a ways to see the current his & her garments in a box on the right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2011 01:05AM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 11:18PM

If any SP or anyone else would try to give me the temple feelup, I'd smack their hand and put them in their place! >:-(

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 11:19PM

The first time I ever wore a white fitted t-shirt out of the house with no garments, I was just running to the grocery store. Of course, I ran into Bishop Jackwagon's wife. It was so like a faked story from the Ensign, I just laughed to myself afterward. She chatted with me, refraining from either the garment feel up or the "garment-search" stare. She was pretty cool, all-in-all, although she probably ratted me out to Bishop Jackwagon. But maybe not - I get the feeling she doesn't like him much.

Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 12:23AM

Could be worse, he could've fondled your crotch you see if you were wearing the bottom half.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 01:15AM

Those garmies are so sexy in that pic! blech

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.