Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 22, 2022 12:35PM

Who's the next to inherit that Celestial Kingdom and get them some more (spirit) wives?

I just don't know what their conditions are but they aren't getting any younger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 22, 2022 02:24PM

Anyone know if they travel separately, like when they all went to Rome?

You know, in case ghawd is so busy finding lost keys that he forgets to protect the plane they’re all flying on . . .?

Date: September 22, 2022 02:25PM

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 10:16AM

Good question.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 01:05PM

In the event all 15 went at once, the seven presiding presidents of the 70 would form a presiding quorum and choose err be inspired to replace the 12.

Most likely the presiding president would fill the church presidency and the remaining 6 presidents would be the senior 6 apostles.

My guess would be the presiding bishop would be first councilor and the remaining positions would be pulled from the members of the first and second quorum of the seventy.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 22, 2022 03:05PM

Monson was the last to go- Jan 2018

Hales had previously died in Oct 2017.

Almost a 4 year spell with a pandemic too!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 22, 2022 05:05PM

Actually I prefer to look at it like the plot to a cheesy TV show:
SURVIVOR- The Big 15. Last man standing inherits the big chair. Whether the winner is senile by then is irrelevant.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: September 22, 2022 05:26PM

This is the biggest issue; just because they "outlived" everyone else, doesn't mean they finally get to be in charge. This was a good thing because if Benson had been still connected to his thoughts and heart, Mormonism would of been more John Birch. Now it was a bad thing that Monson would just be locked in his office drinking strawberry milkshakes and watching "What About Bob?" every day--which allowed things like Prop 8 support, Packer ridding the church of historians and fighting "personal revelations" etc...but it's also happening w/the apostles Wirthlin I guess was in the twilight zone the last couple of years before he passed, so as far as younger Bednar, Oaks, etc... could just ignore them and create things like the "don't baptize children of Gay Parents and only if they condemn their parents marriage" rule. The next batch are lawyers, CES teachers, business leaders...so no new prophecies, new teachings on "religious freedoms/protections" and less spending on temples. If I see the writing on the wall (especially since they absorbed the Office of the Church Bishop and their powers/responsibilities into the first presidency office...there's going to be even less charities, philanthropic help, more protecting the properties, schools, etc...

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 12:06PM

The "prophets in waiting" -- the apostholes that have a chance of sitting in the big chair probbaly have some sort of pet project they are working on for if and when the time comes for the world to see their spiritual might. Maybe the church has a pool of ideas for the less ambitious ones that do make it. The examples I can think of:

Kimble: Every member a missionary
Benson: Book of Mormon
Hunter: not sure he had much of a chance at a legacy
Hinkley: Build Temples
Monson: Rescue
Nelson: Mormon bad ... hahahahhaha. Loser by even Mormon standards

Maybe I'm wrong with some of these legacies. But just a Nelson was just waiting for a chance to activate project Victory for Satan, there are other things brewing in the minds of these inevitable spiritual dictators.

I guess Bednar is the one where there is the most interest for me. I cannot help but think that he has grand designs on this "continuing restoration". God help the members when he is finally at the helm.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 10:08AM

Nelson has announced more temples than any other church Pres ... over 100 or thereabout ... he's out-Hinckleyed Hinckley in that area to the point it's gotten ridiculous (2 temples in Rexburg Idaho?)

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 09:17AM

True. There is a who did it first kind of thing. It might take time or as older folks die off, they will associate temple quantity with Nelson.

I just had the thought, is there a way to see who go the temple building contracts under Hinkley and who is getting them now? As we try to look at where temple money is going or who is financially benefiting under these two big temple announcers?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 11:18PM

Nelson is a disaster.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 01:41PM

Date: September 23, 2022 05:39PM

Probably not. He takes vitamins.

Date: September 23, 2022 05:57PM

I just started taking all kinds of vitamins since I'm 65 now. Just loving being 65. I don't really care other than I have a little bit of gray hair. My family doesn't go very gray.

Just trying to get off my meds and I'm off several. Medicare isn't as good as the insurance was, but my meds are all the "free" ones, but I got off 2 meds without trying and so I thought why not?

Date: September 23, 2022 06:03PM

Isn't it weird that modern life makes living healthy somewhat of a chore?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 10:57PM

I'm on just 3 meds and take no supplemental anything and I'm 74.

Date: October 03, 2022 09:03PM

Other than diabetes (which I'm almost off insulin and am off metformin) and rheumatoid arthritis, I should be off most meds soon.

Does anyone else think Medicare is ridiculous in terms of how much mail they send and how many companies want your business. It is good my "husband" doesn't mind keeping things in a file as I'm not going to.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 06:05PM

https://zelophehadsdaughters.com/2018/01/05/yearly-church-president-probabilities-for-current-q15-members/

"The values come from the same mortality table that I used to run the simulation to find the likelihood of each Q15 member ever becoming Church President. This graph doesn’t require any simulation, though. For each Q15 member, I just used his yearly probabilities of survival to come up with yearly cumulative probabilities of survival (i.e., how likely is he to live through this age). Then for each Q15 member, his yearly probability of becoming President is the probability that he survives the year and that all the members senior to him do not. This is found by multiplying probabilities, so for example for Elder Ballard, who is junior only to President Nelson and Elder Oaks, his probability of being President in a particular year is this:

(Ballard cumulative probability of living)*(1 – Nelson probability of living)*(1 – Oaks probability of living)

The results look similar to what we’ve seen in the past with graphs like this, in that there are big probabilities across periods of years for Elders Oaks, Holland, and Bednar. The one big difference is that, as el oso noted yesterday, President Nelson jumped from a pretty low probability for most of his time in the quorum to 100% when President Monson died. I guess this just illustrates that applying a mortality table that gives general trends to a small group of people as I have here is bound to be wrong in big ways at times."

Date: September 25, 2022 10:56AM

Looks like both oaks and Holland get it.

Date: September 24, 2022 06:49PM

I got hope for some reason for Oaks and Holland never to be presidents. I had that same hope for Nelson and here we are today. I guess I just think the blusterers of the Big 15 shouldn't get the driver's seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2022 06:50PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 09:39AM

Perhaps they are designated blusterers.

Date: October 03, 2022 03:02PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.