Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: briantchrist ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 09:53PM

I haven't posted for years, and am not sure this post will get past the censors because it has some political references.

I posted years ago as Brian-the-Christ and BTC. Haven't checked in often but have to credit RfM for helping me land on my feet after leaving Nutcase Land in the late 90s early 2000s.

I've just read a book called The Breach by Denver Riggleman. It just came out today and was written by an exmormon who also acted as the data analyst on the Jan 6 committee. This post isn't about that, it's about his journey in and out of the morg.

The exmormon part is found in Chapter 3. It deals with his life as a Mormon, his leaving the MTC shortly after arriving, his disfellowshipment, "repentance," marriage for Time and All Stupidity in the Wash DC temple (haha! weren't we stupid?) and his subsequent "F*** it! Let's have a drink!"

I have to say, the book is pretty fascinating and that he also left the morg made it all the better!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 10:05PM

Welcome back. I have fond memories of your times here.

Date: September 27, 2022 10:16PM

Hey Elder! You too! Thanks!

Posted by: John Corill ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 10:07PM

I saw him on 60 Minutes on sunday....pretty interesting guy and he seems to have his head screwed on straight.

Date: September 27, 2022 10:13PM

People on TV with their heads on straight. Made me laugh out loud.

Date: September 27, 2022 10:15PM

That interview is what got me interested in reading his book. I bought it immediately. It's great.

He describes cults and how the Trump cult/ Qanon/ Xian fundamentalism/ Mormonsism all work the same... and why it was so hard for him to deprogram.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2022 10:18PM by briantchrist.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 11:20PM

I remember you fondly from back in the day although I was then posting under another name, which I cannot recall.

Anyway, your thread is probably safe because cult dynamics *are* about Mormonism. There is a tendency for a lot of people--looking at you, Ginni Thomas--who go from one cult to another because their thought processes haven't changed. It's a very important point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2022 02:49PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: September 28, 2022 07:30AM

Isn't it frightening that SCOTUS is full of these nutcase religious pukes now? I mean, Ginni is just the tip of the insurrectionist iceturd.

It's turds all the way down!

Date: September 28, 2022 02:38PM

Love it. But poor people and they delusion de jour.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 11:40PM

Good to see you again. Thanks for the tip.

Date: September 28, 2022 07:29AM

Hi, Dagny! :)

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 12:42AM

I'll have to check out Riggleman's book. Sounds interesting.

Your screen name made me smile. I've always loved that movie, even when I was a TBM. I thought it was funny even though it would be classified as 'sacrilegious'. Once I left the cult, it became even better. It amazed me though just how much meaning had previously gone over my head. I watched it again a few months ago and this time I added in some cannabis. That film....is a f*cking masterpiece.

Date: September 28, 2022 07:28AM

Ditto. And it took on more meaning as I began to see how religion was a mind-f***. The way they parody sects like "WE MUST FOLLOW THE GORD!!!"

"NO, no we must follow the shoe, the SHOE!!!!"

"No no we must cast off shoes like he has done!"

And then our own holy bulls*** with death oaths rather than reveal one of the names of the tokens in the temple is our first given name.

It's nutcases all the way down!

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 01:54AM

First, welcome back, BTC! I enjoyed reading of your past posts.

Second, regarding Mr. Riggleman, according to a story that aired on NPR this morning, without being very specific, some members of the Jan. 6 committee (Zoe Loughrin and Jamie Raskin) have said that some of the claims he makes/made in the book have not fully panned out.

Date: September 28, 2022 07:23AM

Thanks, Blind.

Is there a transcript of the npr piece and, if so, could you post it? I googled but found nothing yet.

I was pretty impressed with his details about the text messages and how they were so full of nutty ideas. He pointed out how the cult mentality of Qanon mimics religious nutjobs. They seem to use the same empty-headed devotions to people instead of facts.

And I've felt for some time now that until we set up a pro fact-biased society, we're in peril for irrational thinking doing exactly what it has done in the US.

Religion is poison. Not just some but all of them because they normalize irrational thinking like it's a Good.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 10:07AM

BTC:
There is no transcript of the NPR piece on Denver Riggleman because the network didn't air it. I had assumed that was where I heard about the issue but I was wrong. I had read it at dailykos.com and that service had quoted NBC News.

So, here is a link to the NBC news article on the matter and I apologize for remembering wrong.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/jan-6-panel-aware-call-white-house-rioter-rep-raskin-says-rcna49328

Date: September 28, 2022 01:02PM

No sweat. Thanks for the NBC link. Fascinating how humans have ferociously held on to stupid ideas right down to today when we can fly to the moon.

Our brains are locked in the crazy notions of the past!

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 02:49PM

I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't an old post.

I love this: "marriage for Time and All Stupidity."

That's perfect.

I'd love to see you stick around. You were one of my favorites.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.