Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 03:15PM

It doesn't look like fun. Maybe ghawd doesn't agree with Ron De Santis...

Take care.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2022 03:16PM by Soft Machine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 04:09PM

Paid flight to Martha's Vineyard looking pretty good about now.

Having your house filled with mud from flood water is one of life's more unpleasant experiences, assuming the house manages to stay intact. Hopefully the death toll is minimal, but the clean-up toll is going to be huge.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 05:09PM

What a blessing that any chapels that get flooded/mudded will be cleaned for free.

Praise Jesus!!

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 05:45PM

Paula White's near Orlando. Will angels from Africa and South America come to her rescue?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 05:48PM

Wait--I thought ghawd was Ron De Santis. Have I been sending my 10% to the wrong guy?

D'oh!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 05:53PM

I've been watching news updates all day. Weather is awesome but sometimes hits with scary, dangerous and tragic results. The first responders who are out and about rescuing people from high water and fallen trees and other dangers are amazing folks.

Here are some photos following the recent "once in a lifetime" storm in Atlantic Canada this week:

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2022/09/photos-hurricane-fiona-canada/671557/

"Hurricane Fiona moved north toward Eastern Canada, making landfall this weekend as a post-tropical cyclone. The downgraded storm still packed heavy rain and winds, gusting up to 110 mph, driving storm surges and knocking down trees and power lines. Hundreds of thousands remain without power as emergency crews and utility workers work to clear debris and rebuild lines."

Many in Eastern Canada have lost their homes and all their possessions. Unimaginable.

One elderly lady was in her basement when she was swept away and a search party eventually, most unfortunately, found her body in the ocean (the 73-year-old mentioned in a headline in the photo essay linked above).

I just heard the Governor of Florida mention "life-threatening storm surge" as well as saying that some 9-1-1 systems are down (with calls being re-routed). However, there's a limit to how much danger even first responders can be expected to risk. At some points, people are absolutely definitely alone for a time. Just you, the rain, the wind, the storm surge, the water. It's got to be shocking to call the help line and nobody answers.

The Gov also said that they are currently evacuating people hundreds of miles away from the storm surge. It's almost unbelievable.

I'm feeling grateful and relieved that where I'm at I don't have to face much more with weather than some summer days that are too hot for my liking. We're surrounded by water here on the B.C. coasts but I'm not so close that I can envision ever being in a situation like the one all these people are facing.

It's times like this that make us realize the limits of our own strength and power.

I wish all the best to everyone.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 11:57PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just heard the Governor of Florida mention
> "life-threatening storm surge" as well as saying
> that some 9-1-1 systems are down (with calls being
> re-routed).

My daughter is in West Palm Beach this week doing an audit for her company. She said they were only getting rain off and on there, but text messages were taking about 20 minutes to get through tonight.

Date: September 28, 2022 11:51PM

Can’t Rusty just put his arm to the square and command the storm to stop?

Date: September 28, 2022 11:52PM

Isn’t Rusty the largest land owner in Florida?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 29, 2022 12:20AM

I actually thought about moving to Fort Myers about a decade ago. Like the area. Glad I’m not there now.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 29, 2022 12:30AM

I have heard from Tampa and Gainesville and all are fine.

Posted by: shannonnli ( )
Date: September 29, 2022 12:55AM

I am. We are riding out the storm not far from the ocean. Still have electricity. Been up for hours talking and snacking with my sons. We are about 10 minutes from the Atlantic ocean. The best things about not being in immediate danger are the hurricane snacks and the drinks that go with them. Ha! It's really one big party when you are safe-ish (which we are). I really feel for those poor folks in Southwest Florida who experienced a direct hit though...scary as sh*t!

Of the dozen or so hurricanes I've lived through in my life, I've experienced two direct hits. Not fun. (Ask me about the time a tornado roared through our backyard. The legend is true. A tornado really does sound like a freight train.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 29, 2022 03:20AM

How lovely to hear from you, despite the circumstances! Hope you're well in general ;-)

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 29, 2022 09:32AM

I second what Soft said. Good to know you are weathering the storm :)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 01:26AM

I'm sorry. Florida isn't here anymore.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.