Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 06:49PM

Jack Thomas, Journalist at the Boston Globe, eulogized himself, in effect, in an article in July 2021 after he was told he had a terminal illness with not long to live.

His writing style is easy and his sentiments endearing. His gentle religious and political jabs are amusing. I thought some may enjoy reading his essay. It’s the funny comments about religious beliefs that I appreciated. Maybe some of you will too. (I identify with his description about “embrace[ing] all viewpoints” – lol).

Mr. Thomas:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/07/21/magazine/i-just-learned-i-only-have-months-live-this-is-what-i-want-say/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Excerpts:

“I just learned I only have months to live. This is what I want to say.”

“My first story was in 1958, so publication of this essay today marks the eighth decade that my writing has appeared in the Globe.”

“As a teenager, I often wondered how my life would change if I knew that I would die soon. Morbid, perhaps, but not obsessed. Just curious. How does a person live with the knowledge that the end is coming? How would I tell family and friends? Would I be depressed? Is there an afterlife? How do you get ready for death, anyhow?”

“Atop the list of things I’ll miss are the smiles and hugs every morning from my beautiful wife, Geraldine, the greatest blessing of my life. I hate the notion of an eternity without hearing laughter from my three children. And what about my 40 rose bushes? Who will nurture them? I cannot imagine an afterlife without the red of my America roses or the aroma of my yellow Julia Childs.” (Apparently, he had a thing about Julia).

“I wish the afterlife were arranged so that I could hear Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7 again and Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos, especially the one in D for two violins and cello. In the afterlife right away, I’d test whoever’s in charge immediately by requesting “Till We Meet Again” with George Lewis, who played the clarinet with as much dexterity and imagination as Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw, yet never received the same fame because he was Black.”

“And then, I hope for a playlist that includes Nina Simone’s “The Laziest Gal in Town” and everything by Sarah Vaughan, especially “Easter Parade” with Billy Eckstine, and while we’re at it, let’s throw in Bessie Smith singing “Nobody in Town Can Bake a Sweet Jellyroll Like Mine.”

“I was raised Episcopalian, though I didn’t turn out to be a very good one. Unlike Roman Catholics, Jews, and atheists, we Episcopalians are very good at fence-sitting. We embrace all viewpoints, and as a result, we are as confused as the Unitarians.”

“How is it possible that there could be more than 100 thousand million stars in our Milky Way, let alone who can say how many millions upon millions more in other galaxies, and yet, among them all, there is no planet that supports life? Imagine how newspapers will report that discovery!”

“After I die, I’m not expecting the world, but this business about the afterlife is more complicated than what they describe in the Bible. The experts say more than 100 billion humans have died. If you’re looking for a buddy to have a beer, like jazzman Dave McKenna or writer Jerry Murphy or possibly Peter Falk who played Columbo, how are you going to find him in a mob of 100 billion people?”

-----

Jack Thomas passed away at home on October 1, 2022, age 83.

I can relate to Mr. Thomas’ words because I’ve always felt, from a young age, that after I die, especially if I know ahead of time that death is approaching, I will “miss” not knowing what happens next. As if life is a great big amazing mystery novel and you absolutely must know how it all turns out. Forever. Silly thing from childhood that I can’t shake.

In his final line Mr. Thomas wrote:

"I just wish I could stay a little longer."

I can relate to that. I sure wish it for my mum and dad just because I enjoyed their company. And for their siblings and parents, all of whom I didn't have a chance to spend enough time with or to get to know as well as I would have liked because we lived on different continents. They're all reduced to DNA now for me as I am so curious about our origins (although I can guess the likely findings) so I'm going to spit in a bottle to hopefully discover answers to at least some of my unasked questions. I regret not asking the former generations for their stories firsthand. Not only about the places where they came from but about them as people and their lives as well as those of their parents. I don't even know the maiden name of my paternal grandmother. That one should be fairly easy to discover I'd hope, because I can likely track down a marriage certificate. It's amazing, though, how often spelling errors creep into records. My maternal grandmother's maiden name, for instance, is spelled two different ways on the same certificate. Attention to detail should be crucial on such valuable paperwork, you'd think.

This is my favourite line in Mr. Thomas' essay:

"Unlike Roman Catholics, Jews, and atheists, we Episcopalians are very good at fence-sitting. We embrace all viewpoints, and as a result, we are as confused as the Unitarians.”

I can relate to that. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2022 07:04PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 07:02PM

If he likes George Lewis he's okay

Date: October 04, 2022 07:22PM

I played clarinet in jr high (band was compulsory and so was the instrument choice). Obviously, I wasn't in the same universe as Lewis.

You've likely heard all these, Kentish. My favourite is Burgundy Street Blues. It's AMAZING to have all these videos from long ago and far away, preserving all this talent for our current enjoyment.

George Lewis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TPSZf8xl5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWfV6lVig4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8vbGdC7r7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKL-RJDPH3w

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 07:29PM

Clarinet? I love it.

It's perfect!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 05, 2022 02:02AM

waiting on the punch-line ~

thx OPie ~

Date: October 05, 2022 01:08PM

ziller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> waiting on the punch-line ~
>
>
>
> thx OPie ~

It's a fill in your own blank kind of thing.

Date: October 04, 2022 07:49PM

Way back in the late 50's, I think, I saw George Lewis in concert with his band. Around the same time I also saw another jazz great Kid Ory in concert.

Date: October 04, 2022 08:13PM

Kid Ory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UgBhOkUSlw

Never heard of him but thanks, kentish. Fun to listen to.

Here's another one, live, in Paris. Too bad they colourized it. I love black & white:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHa3iCyTng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2022 08:16PM by Nightingale.

Date: October 04, 2022 08:18PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LsuHXaB2_0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2022 08:19PM by Nightingale.

Date: October 04, 2022 08:45PM

Ory was one of the great trombone players of early jazz.

On the YT page you referred to was a link to the Chris Barber band, British group. Spent many an evening with beers at jazz clubs listening to Barber long before he became better know. Playing clarinet then was Monty Sunshine who had a smash hit single Petite Fleur. The banjo player was a young guy named Lonnie Donnegan who went as a single act and hit the big time with hits like Rock Island Line and Does Your Chewing Gum Lose its Flavor...

Another favorite from those days was Big Bill Broonzy. Great blues singer who played 12 string guitar.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 07:50PM

In the current absence of DR1, I may be the 2nd oldest RfM’er, behind Kentish, and I am not currently entertaining any thoughts of checking out.

I will only say at this juncture that both the Third and the Fifth of Beethoven’s symphonies are more enjoyable than the Seventh, and I’m a completely neutral Mexican on the issue.

I wonder if he was giggling as he typed that, knowing it would be so controversial?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 08:00PM

I hope DR1 is OK. I haven't seen any recent posts about looking for loose women or ancient aliens from him for a while. I hope he is well.

Date: October 04, 2022 08:26PM

Hey, you keep that old nonsense to yourself lol.

Date: October 04, 2022 08:35PM

. . . Okay, I’ll keep it in my pants.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 11:55PM

I'll take the bait: the seventh, eighth, and ninth are all better than the third and probably the fifth.

Date: October 05, 2022 08:37AM

Bringing the Ninth into this conversation tells me all I need to know...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 08:35PM

I do have the Julia Childs rose myself so I know why Mister Thomas loved it. I don't like red roses but did have a Mister Lincoln for a while because it is the most intoxicating rose scent of them all.

That was very nice to read, Nightingale. Thank you.

I played Trumpet in Jr. High. I only remember the class because that was when our new music teacher laughingly said the Beatles were a one note band and wouldn't last. That was around 64 I think.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.