Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 10, 2022 02:48PM

But a have a bush that needs some serious attention.

I have a helmet and safety goggles.

Wish me luck!

Or I might just have to hire someone, because something tells me I might not be good at wielding wee chainsaws on long poles.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 10, 2022 02:51PM

"have a bush that needs some serious attention." ...
I can't believe you said that. *LOL*

Date: October 10, 2022 03:32PM

I’m ashamed because my poor neighbors have to see that thing every time they leave their house.

I tried trimming it with a reciprocating saw, but it broke the teeth, it’s so thick.

I decided to hire a guy to take care of it. I’m waiting on a quote because it’s not the only issue I have and might as well get other work done at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2022 03:35PM by Beth.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: October 10, 2022 09:33PM

I thought the same thing, lol! Dirty minds think alike.

TG

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 12, 2022 10:20AM

Got my attention too!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 10, 2022 03:05PM

plz post links to pics and vids OPie ~

thx ~

Date: October 10, 2022 03:34PM

He’ll probably post before and after pics on his website like the dude who dealt with my moss issues. I’ll send you the link.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 11, 2022 09:15PM

I can't figure out how poles and trimming them has anything to do with a bush?

Posted by: I ( )
Date: October 11, 2022 11:54PM

Hopefully I can explain the art of Bush Trimming, Pole Climbing and Safety Dancing for all the novices on this channel tonight, but I doubt it... Here goes-

~~~~~~|#|~~~~~~~~
___/°\___|#|•×=========

Bush too high
Must be smaller

2 options: hire or DIY (pros & cons in both)

Ladder & hand/ electric clippers, chainsaw, or pole extension tools, etc.

SAFETY first!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 12, 2022 12:14AM

I'm terrified of my nose trimmer

Date: October 12, 2022 06:30PM

If I wasn't a half day's drive away I'd be there to lend you a hand in a heartbeat!

Hopefully you can find a great person/ outfit for the job for a reasonable exchange.

Keep us in posted... rather than up a pole.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 01:49PM

leave it alone SD. Resist the temptation! Ignore your darker impulses. I....just....can't....help it. I mean, seriously, who could resist a T up like that? Now...here goes. I can understand why a man might be worried about a "pole" trimmer. One wrong move and he's singing soprano in the choir. Then again, who can resist a well trimmed bush? Although there are others that prefer the wild overgrown look. So Beth, sally forth with your trimmer. Just avoid the end that vibrates. Then again, that might be the end you want to focus on.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 09:56PM

Poor Beth.

I knew some of us couldn't resist a fun float down the gutter. It's an acquired taste. :-)

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 16, 2022 08:30PM

LOL, that is tame for SD! You just never know what he is going to come up with :)

Date: October 16, 2022 08:50PM

He definitely has surprised me on occasion! I'm fussy about RfM perverts, but he's the best.

Date: October 16, 2022 09:32PM

I have to agree with you there. And I will never forget that he changed his name for me on his own and didn't give me a bit of grief about it. It's the little things in life that count :)

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 08:51PM

I used to do advertising for Husqvarna. When I first learned of pole saws I couldn't believe they were legal. Gas powered sharp thing on a stick?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 16, 2022 09:29AM

They are way safer than getting up on a rickety ladder while holding a chainsaw. The worst chainsaw accidents are when a chainsaw kicks back and hits a person in the head.

Date: October 13, 2022 11:04PM

I've almost always wanted to try/ have one of those.

About the bushes:

How high are they?
How high are you?
You're higherD!

You can get higher on a ladder|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|
Than you can on a pole ------------------------

The higher the bush
The higher the climb

The higher the climb
The further the fall

It pays to be tall
OR be on stilts!

Date: October 13, 2022 11:51PM

So, I called me friend and she recommended this guy who’s done work for her in the past. He told me that after 20 years in the business, he needed to retire. It’s a young man’s game. He referred me to Hunter. Well, Hunter didn’t return my call so it’s up to me.

…………….

Serious answers:

It’s a DeWalt electric (natch) pole saw. It’s still in its box mocking me.

I have a Yew that is touching the rain gutter. I have another Yew that is half sawed. That’s when I broke the blade on the reciprocating saw and decided I need more power.

I also have a Dr. Seuss nutty looking thing…Juniper maybe? You can make gin from the berries.

Date: October 14, 2022 12:21AM

We also had several trees too close to rain gutters and a bunch of old tall trees always having branches break.

My husband has a DeWalt electric pole saw. He is very careful and plans exactly how to cut everything so it falls in the right place. It would be horrible to have a tree fall on the roof or us. Please be careful! I'm over yews and junipers. I don't have any around anymore. Good luck. Return and report! I'm impressed.

Date: October 14, 2022 12:26AM

I’m the oldest by a lot and the one my dad had helping him out. But even as an adult, I had someone at least around to hold the ladder or call 911 or whatever.

I had a horrible time framing the duck house. *I* think it’s because I don’t have a nail gun. Dad said I can have anything BUT a nail gun.

He doesn’t know about the chainsaw on a pole, yet.

I also have a baby chainsaw. Still in the box since 2017…

Date: October 16, 2022 09:35AM

Read up on using a pole saw and watch some videos. Understand the Do's and Don'ts. It's best to trim the ends of big branches off and work in towards the trunk instead of cutting the whole branch off. The smaller cuts are lighter and more controllable. Also keep your saw teeth sharp and oiled.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 14, 2022 03:54PM

My "husband" is a horticulturist and was supervisor of grounds at the local hospital for 40 years. So the difficult trimming he does. I have 4 yews and I've never had to trim them. I planted them in 1996 or 1997 when HE LEFT. I planted a lot. I had his 2 old boyfriends (my good friends) tell me "You can sure tell that "he" planned that yard. I said, NOPE. I did it.

Luckily, the only thing I've ever had to use to trim is just a regular old "loping shears" per my "husband" who just walked in the door. He's retired now and we do share the house with our son here. He did the yard work this year for the first time since 1996.

Obviously you need something stronger than what I have used. I'd never dare use whatever it is you have. I'd for sure cut off an arm or something. I'm pretty klutzy.

Date: October 14, 2022 08:46PM

Yeah. Once I get up the nerve to read the instructions I’ll make a decision. Basically I need to lop off the top three feet horizontally, and I need to make sure that there’s space between it and the house. I’m not trying to do any topiary art. Maybe one day. Okay. That’s a lie. The only thing this damn bush is good for is, well, probably nothing. That’s not true, either. I’m sure animal things and creepy crawlies like it.

Every time I go outside, I walk into a spiderweb.

Nature!

Date: October 15, 2022 04:28PM

No pole sawing today. The Goats Rocks fire has made the area smoggy and the air quality bad. Folks are inside for the most part.

Pole saw is safely in its box.

Maybe I’ll open it later and read the manual. Then I’ll freak myself out.

Not sure why I bought this thing. False bravado.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2022 04:28PM by Beth.

Date: October 16, 2022 08:34PM

Watch a bunch of YTs. Then get it out and read the manual and play with the parts for a while. Then watch the best YTs again. For me, more info makes me brave :)

Date: October 17, 2022 02:52AM

Also watch the pole trimmer fails on YouTube. You will learn what not to do. Yes. Train and use the force like Obi Wan. May the Force be with you as you wield the mighty Dewalt Electric extra long light saber!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.