Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 11, 2022 02:16PM

I am planning a trip to several other countries.

A person said to be able to access my us accounts I need a vpn because other countries don’t allow access to all us companies.

So after reading on the internet I think it is a program not an app. But do I need to use my phone hotspot to use the vpn? Or is the vpn a network access like the modem in my house?

I see several companies online offering it but I have not seen one that explains how to use it.

Do I even need a vpn in other countries or will my hotspot suffice?

I am so confused.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: October 11, 2022 02:53PM

You don't have to use a VPN but it's more secure. I always use a VPN domestically and abroad. Yes, it's a paid app.

You can use your phone as a hotspot without a VPN.

VPN=Virtual Private Network
We use ExpressVPN but there are many out there.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: October 11, 2022 03:27PM

The primary thing a VPN does is mask where it looks like you are to the internet. While doing this, it encrypts your traffic from your regular connection so they can't see what you're doing beyond connecting to the VPN. But the VPN can see everything you're doing.

For Travel, this primarily lets you connect to streaming services that are geo fenced and see your desired content. Many are aware of the IP addresses of most VPNs and block them anyway in my experience. Or subvert censorship in some countries, but using the VPN might be illegal there.

It can increase your security generally using unknown wifi connections or suspect cell providers. It slows down your connection speed though. It doesn't really protect your privacy, you're just sharing with a more selected vendor.

It can eliminate the injected ads that Verizon and ATT are known to put in your web surfing.

Remember, if you're crossing a national border, you may have to surrender your phone for scanning, the rules will vary with the border. If you're a US citizen, you can refuse to unlock your phone when returning to the US at US customs, but they can confiscate your phone for a few weeks if they so choose. At other borders, you may not have that right at all.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 11, 2022 04:35PM

What are other countries scanning for? What is the U.S. looking for?

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: October 11, 2022 05:19PM

That's the question we would all like to know the answers to.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 11, 2022 05:27PM

Mexico, Portugal,Spain, Italy and possibly thru France between Spain and Italy. That is where I am going. I didn’t understand what you meant right away. What are the countries and US scanning for, all my banking info?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2022 05:29PM by wondering.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: October 12, 2022 07:27AM

I've never had never been asked for my phone from any country or ever seen that process on someone else.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: October 11, 2022 04:12PM

bouncing your signal around multiple servers so that your internet activity looks like someone else's computer. It helps protect your privacy online.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 11, 2022 06:10PM

IN !!! ~

on quality informative exmo thred ~

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.