Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 19, 2022 04:56PM

I was recently part of a support group run by an active LDS therapist who closed it to focus an clients with faith crisis issues.

In one of her posts about the new groups she started she posted about the divine feminine and heavenly mother.

These are targeted to LDS people so I'm not joining. But if she is out in the open with this while actively recruiting LSD people I wonder if mother God is good to talk about for LDS people?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: skp ( )
Date: October 19, 2022 05:07PM

Personally, I never observed any real reluctance to talk about her, she just didn't seem to come up very much. I guess because "scripture" doesn't really make a habit of mentioning her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2022 05:07PM by skp.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 02:54AM

Heavenly mother is mentioned in some patriarchal blessings along with more specific pre and post existence information. She’s not mentioned much in church meetings and even in the general temple ceremonies. Heavenly mother is for the deep spiritual mojo.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 19, 2022 05:11PM

>> Any in the know people here know what Heavenly Mother's status is? <<

Eternally pregnant.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 19, 2022 05:25PM

So is her correct title "Eternally Expectant Heavenly Mother"?

Does the phrase 'knocked-up' bother her?

Date: October 19, 2022 05:28PM

In the past it might have thus the ban to know her.

Date: October 19, 2022 05:28PM

Well, that goes without saying but can a good standing member openly worship her?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 01:59AM

Look at what happened to The September Six. I learned about them from the PBS Mormons documentary which eventually led me to this board.

While the concept of a sexually active god was alien to me, [ETA, it’s kinda gross] and to probably most of the folks in Abrahamic religions, I was moved by the interview with Margaret Toscano and the nascent feminist movement in Mormonism.

My question is what distinguishes Heavenly Mother from all the bazillions of other Heavenly Mothers? Could some of us have different mothers? If Heavenly Father monogamous? Don’t think so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2022 02:00AM by Beth.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 02:30AM

> If Heavenly Father monogamous?

Not according to Brigham Young.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 09:39AM

You indirectly raise an important (I think) issue: Within mormonism, is the notion that The First Wife (TFW) has a special, elevated, status sustainable?

For instance, Jesus has enormous status, but he's just a big brother.  Does his mother share any of that status?

In my version of the mormon CK ghawd is a busy, busy guy and you know that his golf clubs don't swing themselves, meaning that ghawd may not be present for each of the 200 billion kids destined to inhabit each world without end.

It only makes sense that modern mormon wives think that being the #1 wife gives them a special status.  But does it?

And then there's the issue of a wife being the only one to know that the man she married, and whom everyone idolizes as the perfect mormon man ... isn't.  She's facing 'reassignment,' which will include the loss of status as wife #1.

That the bible is a source for supporting polygamy is simply an admission that men like being in charge; JoJu decided that variety was a spice of life, just because like the powerful men of the old testament, he could.

And the final outcome?

Date: October 21, 2022 09:15AM

Well a pecking order isn't the first important issue I think of when I think about the Mormon women I know and their desires to have female divinity celebrated.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 09:41AM

Reminds me of when I was a teen. My great grandmother was in a rest home run by a polygamist family. When you telephoned the rest home a very young child would answer the phone. When you asked to speak to their mother the child would say "Which one?"

Which Heavenly Mother?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 10:34AM

Besides being eternally pregnant, Heavenly Mother is eternally voiceless, eternally powerless, eternally nameless and faceless.

IOW, she’s a complete nonentity.

Talking about her, and especially talking TO her, is specifically discouraged in official Mormonism. I think there was a statement to that effect just a few GCs ago.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 02:37PM

Why wouldn't every woman RUN from the church? Then there would be no women in the CK. Oh my! What would the men do?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 03:17PM

They'd have to bake their own donuts.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 03:32PM

I'm pretty sure that Heavenly Mother is still too sacred to talk about. I remember being told that the reason we don't know more about Heavenly Mother is because Heavenly Father wants to protect her from blasphemers and the cruelty and disrespect that he endures.

Date: October 20, 2022 04:21PM

Gods can be very very vunerable creatures.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 05:38PM

Heavenly P Mother was given emeritus status a while back. You had to be paying real close to GC to catch this.

Date: October 20, 2022 06:17PM

So Mormons can talk about her and worship their divine femininity now?

Women can come out behind her veils?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2022 06:18PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 06:09PM

You mean marital status? Hard to guess with Mormon God. Does she have a Facebook account?

Date: October 21, 2022 02:03PM

Update. She has a new post. I think she might be dealing with some hardcore tbms. She sounds like she is helping Mormons on the fringe.

Never mind about heavenly mother. I'm guessing it is still taboo.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: October 23, 2022 02:28PM

Here is the real reason we don’t talk about our mother in heaven:
http://www.cfmgallery.com/Lisa-Lichtenfels/Lichtenfels-Jeanne-%20Calment.html

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.