Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 11:14AM

Nikola is a company created in 2015 in SLC that was claiming to be about to produce a hydrogen fuel cell powered long haul truck. I don't know if the founder was LDS, but I'd be willing to put money on it.

In any case, the Utah reputation for fraud is secure.

From the NYTimes article:
------------------------------
A federal jury on Friday found Trevor Milton guilty of defrauding investors by lying about the supposed technical achievements of Nikola, the electric truck maker he founded.

Mr. Milton was convicted of one count of securities fraud and two counts of wire fraud, the most serious of which carry a maximum prison sentence of 20 years. He was acquitted on an additional count of securities fraud. The jury in U.S. District Court in Manhattan delivered the verdict after about four weeks of testimony and about six hours of deliberation.

Prosecutors portrayed Mr. Milton, 40, as a serial fabricator who wooed investors by falsely claiming that Nikola was close to producing long-haul trucks that could run emission-free on cheap hydrogen.

“Trevor Milton is a con man,” Jordan Estes, assistant U.S. attorney, said Thursday as she summarized the government’s case. “He lied to investors to get their money, plain and simple.”
----------------------

One of the stunts Trevor pulled was to make a video of one of his trucks silently running down the road. In reality the truck was rolling down a hill where there were no visual cues like vertical fence posts, to indicate it was a hill, so he just tilted the camera so the road looked flat.

That crosses the line from "excessive enthusiasm" to fraud in my mind. The jury agreed. There was a lot of money involved, and this was a pretty big case.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/14/business/trevor-milton-nikola-fraud.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 11:21AM

Date: October 20, 2022 11:51AM

"This makes him the quintessential Mormon, a modern day Joseph Smith."

:))

And he had the biggest house in Utah (delusions of grandeur much?), which I suppose will now be the biggest foreclosure in Utah history.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 11:34AM

I'm shocked...shocked I tell you!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 11:54AM

>>In any case, the Utah reputation for fraud is secure.

Yep. Scammy religion, pyramid and "health supplement" businesses, creepy politics, etc., impacts people's view of Utah. It's nice to know Idaho is not the only state in the sewer of public opinion.

Date: October 20, 2022 12:01PM

I find it particularly ironic that Utah has had 3 Attorneys General in a row that have been ethically challenged, to put it diplomatically.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 12:03PM

It's scary and discouraging to say the least.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 12:09PM

I read about a study, the results of which indicated that prayer could not be shown to be any more effective in recovery from illness than not praying.

In my mind this is a point in favor of establishing that religion, as in a belief in a ghawd who can fiddle with known statistics, is a fraud.

And that granting "beliefs" a favored status ought to be discouraged, if not outlawed.

All those in favor signify by raising your right arm to the square and say amen.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 02:08PM

It could have been because the researcher was an unbeliever. Or that God is only there when you're not looking.

You will never find gnomes living in your refrigerator. Not because they aren't there, but because they only come out when the door is closed.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 12:33PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 01:29PM

Does that mean you like it when the government gets swindled or do you only like it when the trump family does the swindling ?

Date: October 20, 2022 01:12PM

Will Milton be excommunicated ?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 02:35PM

That depends entirely on how much tithing he paid with the swindled cash.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 04:10PM

One hand "launders" the other?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 04:35PM

Unless TSCC exed him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Milton

"Milton is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) and, after high school, went on an 18-month church mission to Brazil.[9]"

Also from same source:

"In September 2020, Aubrey Ferrin Smith, Milton's cousin, accused him of sexually assaulting her at their grandfather’s funeral in 1999, when she was 15 and he was 18.[42] The Wall Street Journal later confirmed several details of the accusation, including that Smith was, indeed, Milton's cousin and that Smith had told family members about the incident months after it had allegedly occurred. Family members also told the Wall Street Journal that religious authorities were notified, but no charges were filed."

Religious authorities were notified, but no charges were filed. Sounds like the mormon church.

Footnote 9:

https://www.trucks.com/2019/05/08/rough-childhood-helped-shape-nikolas-trevor-milton/
"Milton, a Mormon, credits an 18-month church mission to Brazil after high school with helping him learn to be independent – and to become fluent in Portuguese."

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 05:02PM

Missions are essential to learning how to lie, cheat, steal, exaggerate, and con.

Paying lots of tithing is essential to religious authorities looking the other way.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 05:19PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 21, 2022 07:33AM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 21, 2022 08:13AM

Date: October 23, 2022 03:20PM

Don't get me started on the cold fusion scam and the gullibility of the university of utah administration.

Date: October 23, 2022 03:25PM

Did the dale car evolve into the slingshot ?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 21, 2022 08:09AM

Not to take any of the blame off of him, but I've seen other cases of investors throwing large amounts of money at concepts that they don't fully understand.

I will say that his ranch is really gorgeous. It's one of the few larger houses that I like. Most are too gaudy for my taste.

https://www.latimes.com/business/real-estate/story/2019-11-14/nikola-motor-head-trevor-milton-2000-acre-utah-ranch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2022 08:15AM by summer.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 21, 2022 08:17AM

In a few years, semis at major ports will be all electric, and by 2040, the majority of all new OTR trucks will be electric or hybrids.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 22, 2022 07:16PM

Electric is one thing, a proposed hydrogen fuel cell is quite another.

I'm saying that investors need to understand where they are putting their money. If they don't understand the engineering concept, they need to find someone who can understand it instead of simply trusting the company founders.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 23, 2022 12:41PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Electric is one thing, a proposed hydrogen fuel
> cell is quite another.
>
> I'm saying that investors need to understand where
> they are putting their money. If they don't
> understand the engineering concept, they need to
> find someone who can understand it instead of
> simply trusting the company founders.

Hey! That's how con jobs work! You impress on the perspective fundor that there is no time to waste, that they must buy now, before a competitor overtakes you! The fundor gives in and you're off to the (short-term) races!

As the late P.T. Barnum once said, "There's a sucker born every minute." How right he was!

Date: October 23, 2022 07:33PM

Hydrogen fuel cells do not burn hydrogen, they strip the electron off and then return it to the proton by running the electron through an electric motor. That is the sense in which they were electric vehicles. The fuel cells generate electricity.

Fun fact - modern railroad engines are electric powered. The electric generators in the engine are powered by diesel engines, but the actual drive motors are electric motors powered by the generators. I'm not sure why that is, but I trust wikipedia has an explanation somewhere.

Date: October 23, 2022 07:58PM

Hydrogen fueled cars already exist

https://www.toyota.com/mirai/

The biggest problem is infrastructure. As of this year, there are only 54 public hydrogen stations in the US - 53 in California and 1 in Hawaii.

Posted by: Son of Paleface ( )
Date: October 22, 2022 03:16PM

It seems like all the or most of the snake oil corporations are centered in Utah, I guess it's a safe haven for them there

Date: October 23, 2022 12:42AM

Now, about your extended car warranty. We've been trying to reach you...

Date: October 23, 2022 07:23PM

True that fraud is all over. Not true that Utah is nothing special when it comes to fraud. We don't have some the the really big fraud cases - Enron, Bernie Madoff, but considering we are about 1% of the US population we punch way above our weight.

Various polygamist organizations have had some pretty big fraud convictions. There is one that I think is still wending its way through the courts about a scheme to fake production of biodiesel to obtain tax credits. It was in the hundreds of millions of dollars range, so this was no penny-ante fraud.

https://www.wired.com/story/lion-polygamist-and-biofuel-scam/

Speaking of snake oil, Utah has a well deserved reputation, thanks to Senator-for-life Orrin Hatch, for bogus nutritional supplements, or bogus multi-level marketing schemes, or bogus multi-level marketed nutritional supplements.

Mark Hofmann was essentially a fraud scheme. That made national headlines.

During the mid 20th century, Utah was the penny-stock fraud capital of the US. It was (and I suspect still is) the smallest city in the US with its own SEC fraud office.

And there was our piece de resistance - Cold Fusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2022 07:23PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 23, 2022 12:23PM

I watched a short doc' on his scam (the business is actually still going but with a totally different electric truck) but the most Mo' thing repeated in the script was "Fake it until you make it." (i.e. Packer's "A testimony is gained by the bearing of it.") and, like any good cult or scam: "...lofty promises without a shred of evidence."

BTW, I have a car that works on air; let me just tow it up to the top of this hill and show you how well it runs!

Date: October 23, 2022 04:06PM

The rig was towed to a rise, then coasted downhill and video'd from a distance. I'd be curious if anybody can pinpoint that location.
Just curious.

Date: October 23, 2022 07:40PM

I don't know where the film was made, but this article has a photo from the video - a whole lot of Utah looks just like this.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/09/nikola-admits-prototype-was-rolling-downhill-in-promotional-video/

Date: October 23, 2022 08:05PM

"Nikola doesn't claim that the truck had a working hydrogen fuel cell or motors to drive the wheels—the two key components Hindenburg stated were missing from the truck in December 2016."

Hydrogen and Hindenburg used in the same sentence ? I have a bad feeling about this.

Date: October 23, 2022 09:11PM

LOL.

But it gets worse

The article also contains this "But last week, the short-selling investment firm Hindenburg Research published a bombshell report..."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.