Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 12:09PM

I could probably get away with not getting a hair cut and not vacuuming as often.

Skiing enthusiasts might applaud a couple of years of nuclear winter but they'd no doubt be in the minority.

Tithing might stay within the country of origin rather than hie to Kolob/SLC.

Parking spots might be more plentiful.

No one would really care about your credit score.

What would 'influencers' do absent a medium through which to 'influence'?

How would foreign missionaries get home?

These end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it thoughts were sparked by reading a headline reporting that the Great Orange Blob has mentioned wanting Marjorie Taylor Greene as his 2024 running mate.  

Now ziller doesn't look so bad, does he?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 12:46PM

The smart people will already be buying beach front property in Alaska.

People will be so sunburned that eating red lobsters would be considered cannibalism.

Missions would now be called "Your Latter Days" literally.

Sledge Hammers and guns would now be affectionately referred to as "My Credit Scores".

Holy Garments would become Holy Thongs out of necessity. The sacred marking so close together now that they form a monkey face.

Everyone would be taking selfies as usual although now using oven mitts to hold their iPhones and the cloud where they store their photos would now be the refrigerator.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 01:20PM

It is easy to assume that WWIII would involve nuclear weapons. Not necessarily. In a way we are already experiencing the effects of global war- supply chain slowdowns, scarcity of staple commodities, increasing poverty and so on. These are the things we will experience most. And it is happening so gradually that we do not even notice.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 02:18PM

What kind of escalation? We don't know at present.

I agree that a third world war won't necessarily involve a nuclear exchange.

Nations start wars when they think they have something to gain. In Putin's case, "dictator distortion" made him misjudge the situation in Ukraine. So far, the West has been unwilling to give the Ukrainians what they need to force Putin out of their country, so what will probably happen is a return to the status quo antebellum on 24 February with a cease-fire or armistice of some kind.

I'm more worried about religious extremists in America coming to power and siding with Putin against Ukraine. That would end the trans-Atlantic alliance, embolden Xi to invade Taiwan, and cause the world-wide economic shock which you describe.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 02:43PM

We won World War III without firing a shot. We won it by taking the Soviet Union down using asymmetrical warfare. Where we failed is we left Russia without a functioning government. We should have done what we did in Japan after WWII. Hindsight being 20/20 General MacArther was right. We would avoid a future conflict with Japan by helping it get back on it’s feet.

We just left Russia in chaos and did everything to sour relations. The current situation is the result.

Many experts assume World War IV would be limited to military targets. If you live away from those and you have shelter from the fallout it’s survivable but you no longer would be living in a modern world made possible by supply chains. Food and fresh water would become the first concerns.

Those who live in the Southern Hemisphere would be the best off since it’s most likely the nuclear strikes would take place in the northern hemisphere. Depending on how many warheads are used nuclear winter might be a thing and again that brings us back to growing food.

Putin’s Ace in the hole is submersible nuclear sea drones. He claims he can cause a tsunami a quarter mile high and direct it towards our shores undetected. Of course the water would be radioactive. If you lived in the wash zone of such a weapon you are fucked.

World War IV would be a great reset. If you could stash the right people and equipment strategically in bunkers you could rebuild the way you wanted it. Kind of like Nero burning Rome and rebuilding it. This is your Dr. Strangelove scenario. Seeing how badly our politicians want war one thinks they have gone to Strangelove levels of nuttiness. Of course they have their bunkers.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 11:19PM

Submersible nukes and quarter mile high tsunamis - fess up, you read that in sci fi novel, right?

The surprising thing about all waves is that the actual movement of the water is quite small except where the wave comes up on a shore. The water just goes in a relatively small circle with each wave,

In any case, SLC is safe. We drained most of our lake. Foresight.

Date: October 24, 2022 11:35PM

repositioned

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2022 11:35PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 02:48PM

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 02:51PM

My parents were children in England during WWII.

I've heard stories of an uncle's car being put up on blocks in the rural barn of a family friend when petrol would become impossible to purchase for it (and the excitement when a group went to resurrect it for post-War use); carrying a boxed gas mask between home and school; absences of jam and fresh oranges; rationing books/stamps; the sound of bombers flying overhead; air raid sirens resulting in hours spent in the Anderson shelter "down the garden"; lingering purchase restrictions (food, furniture, cars) for various numbers of years after the War ended.

I hope there will never, ever be a WW III.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 08:05PM

I remember it well but don't seem to recall anyone thinking one bomb could end it all. The V1 I saw as a child, did not fill me with the dread I suspect an ICBM would knowing what it carried.

Date: October 24, 2022 04:02PM

"I'm stockpiling canned food, fresh water, and fuel."
"I'm stockpiling guns and ammo."
"Why aren't you stockpiling canned food, fresh water, and fuel?"
"Because YOU'RE stockpiling canned food, fresh water, and fuel!"

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 04:24PM

Some seem to think that WW III will be some type of a picnic as (some, they) portray January 6th.

Date: October 24, 2022 04:48PM

Over 500 atomic and hydrogen bombs have been exploded over the face of the Earth since July 16 of 1945.

https://www.un.org/en/observances/end-nuclear-tests-day/history

So this would be a strong indicator that those not in a blast zone might, at least for awhile, think to themselves, "Well, that wasn't so bad!"

I imagine that the number of detonations, the time frame and the locations will determine your initial mood.  The 'how many' detonations will be crucial.

Also, if iodine helps withstand the effects of radiation, why not just add iodine to the bombs themselves? he asked, sardonically.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 05:14PM

In the words of Bluto Blutarsky in the movie Animal House...

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.”

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 06:44PM

All of the hype sounds suspiciously similar to two wrestlers talking smack before a WWE match. Maybe it's all a circus meant to distract us from the mathematical certainty of economic collapse. In the end, the US is all about the money.

We could be looking at the last gasp of a dying US empire. Russia will win, Ukraine will become neutral, and Europe will go back to buying Russian gas while telling the US to fluff off.

US oligarchs will have many looting opportunities right here at home so why would they mess up a good thing by launching nukes?

Date: October 24, 2022 07:18PM

Hmmm…. Embryos can’t be aborted but feel free to build all the thermonuclear weapons you want and place them in line to be used.

Date: October 25, 2022 12:14AM

With silver bells and cockleshells
And missile silos all in a row.

Do you suppose Stanley Kubrick faked his own death?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 25, 2022 12:53PM

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 07:39PM

Since I live near an Army Base of significant importance, I will walk outside, turn to the South, raise my hands, and embrace the ciaos as the shock wave hits me.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 09:37PM

WW III will last all of an hour, during which time I will be grabbing my ankles and kissing my sweet ass goodbye.
The Generals on up and the billionaires and their families will be in their underground bunkers or in low Earth orbit Space Stations and that’s where Star Wars picks up.
The rest is, as they say, history.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 10:32PM

I'd probably find shelter and eke out an existence in the wasteland with my girlfriend. If she doesn't survive, I have a chest harness that might get me into a post-apocalyptic bandit group.

Worst case scenario, I'll stand in awe of the human race's greatest achievement: a self-inflicted mass extinction. In your faces, dinosaurs, we evolved the stupidity to wipe ourselves out /s.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 11:01PM

I'd imagine that chest harness could be used for various side hustles even without an apocalypse. But I'm sure you've considered that.

;-)

Date: October 24, 2022 10:57PM

The issue would be 1) the state of national economies, and whether there would be sufficient foodstocks, fuels, and other resources (e.g. building materials) for the surviving or untouched nations/regions to provide for their populaces and rebuild, then,

2) the geopolitical reconfigurations. Anything can happen. I wouldn't be surprised if the USA as a constitutional republic (or democracy, whatever) does not survive as the geopolitical entity we have now. My guess would be a period of anarchy involving various states & regions for varying periods of time. Thus, civil wars with different forms of government arising, very likely dictatorships.

The OP specifies "life style changes," which I regard as unreasonably tame phrasing when mere survival will be the issue for many.

Date: October 24, 2022 11:38PM

>The OP specifies "life style changes," which I regard as unreasonably tame phrasing when mere survival will be the issue for many.

The technical term is "irony". Mormons seem to have a particularly tin ear for it.

Date: October 25, 2022 12:13AM

Another thought: Let's not forget how quickly the USSR, and its satellite (vassal) states, fell apart.

Date: October 24, 2022 11:36PM

North Dakotans used to joke that if they seceded from the US )to become Southern Manitoba, which sounds so much warmer) they would constitute the third largest nuclear power on the planet, what with a couple SAC bases and two missile fields. ND is actually closer to western Russia than Alaska is, so it got all the goodies.

The civil defense people from Washington came to Grand Forks in the 1970s to explain how their evacuation plan (to Jamestown, ND, if you have any idea where that is) was going to work. The people at the hearing explained to them that there was a bomber base and missile silos 15 and 30 miles west of town, and if there was ever a nuclear exchange, an evacuation route would be totally moot.

SLC, with an AFB, a refinery, the intersection of two major US interstate highways, a major hub airport, and lots of really annoying missionaries, is certainly near the top of a list of US targets. The aftermath of a nuclear war is not a problem I expect I will ever have to deal with. Somebody else can get stabbed over a bag of Doritos.

Posted by: Elmo ( )
Date: October 25, 2022 01:59AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ND is actually closer to western Russia than Alaska
> is, so it got all the goodies.

Have you actually verified this on a globe or map? I don't think so.

Date: October 25, 2022 03:10AM

Google says it’s 4,516 miles from Jamestown to St. Petersburg, Russia, while Fairbanks is only 3,813 miles away.

Date: October 25, 2022 03:55AM

Have you taken into account the effect of Dark Matter on the relative distances?

I thought not.

Date: October 25, 2022 08:36AM

Listen, Amber Waves of Grain...

Date: October 25, 2022 11:18AM

Shh! She said not to use that name outside the club.

Date: October 25, 2022 11:12AM

Don't forget, we've always been at war with EastAsia.

Date: October 25, 2022 11:52AM

Distances I got were 4,800 miles from Grand Forks where the missiles are (were?) to Moscow, and 4,100 from Fairbanks to Moscow.

So, Fairbanks is closer. I’m not sure if those are polar route distances or not. The graphic provided by the website did not look like polar routes. I may go to a library and find a real globe.

Alaska is also pretty big, though not as big as it looks on a Mercator map. Barrow would be closer than Anchorage, but building and maintaining missile silos in Barrow would be difficult. It’s probably difficult in Anchorage.

In any case, North Dakota got the nuclear bullseye drawn on it. It was close enough to Russia for government work, as they say. ;)

Date: October 25, 2022 12:45PM

What if Putin it totally on-script? Isn't that is what this is? Reality TV? Who says Putin is not a member in good standing of the club referred to by George Carlin?

Date: October 25, 2022 03:23PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Distances I got were 4,800 miles from Grand Forks
> where the missiles are (were?) to Moscow, and
> 4,100 from Fairbanks to Moscow.

Are you confusing Moscow, Russia, with Moscow, Idaho?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 25, 2022 05:22AM

I keep wondering at what point the Russian people are going to look at Putin, look at the losses of their sons, grandsons, and husbands, and say, "Yeah, no."

Date: October 25, 2022 03:27PM

The Russian people are already deeply upset about this. Have you seen photos or video of the large numbers leaving the country for Georgia and Finland?

There are three (relevant) problems with dictators: they are isolated from alternative thinking and hence make profoundly stupid mistakes, like invading Ukraine; they personalize military conflicts and hence have great difficulty climbing down; and they are relatively immune to public pressure to get out of disastrous policy mistakes.

That's one of the reasons the world should be anxious about Xi's centralization of power in China and about the rise of authoritarians in the West. They do, and keep doing, stupid things.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 25, 2022 09:47AM

I'd imagine there's no heaven. It's easy if you try.

Date: October 25, 2022 03:18PM

I get by with a little help from my friends. No wait, that was Ringo.

Date: October 25, 2022 03:31PM

Welp, I consider a looming global famine a good time as any to start my diet. Only this time I'm supposed to bulk up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2022 03:36PM by bradley.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 26, 2022 09:05AM

Assuming it would go 'nuculeur' and I wasn't turned into a temporarily puff of humidity:

1 - I'm bringing Yabba-Dabba-Dooooo!!!!!! back

2 - I'm wearing nothing but a loin cloth

3 - I'll laugh heartily every day at those who wonder how to get data back from cloud services

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.