Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 05:12PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-most-secular-province-1.6633935

Excerpts:

“According to the 2021 population census, 34.6 per cent of people in Canada claimed no religious affiliation, while in B.C. that number jumped to 52.4 per cent — the highest it's ever been.

“Ian Bushfield, executive director of the British Columbia Humanist Association, says his organization is "thrilled."

"One of the things that's really fascinating is that we are seeing a new generation of people whose parents are non-religious and maybe even their grandparents are non-religious," he continued. "These kids ... they're just growing up secular."

“He says people on the west coast also tend to be big believers in science, which he says was evidenced by the adherence to public health measures during the pandemic and high uptake of COVID-19 vaccines.

“Bushfield says the province is also very diverse. While the number of people associating with Christian faiths continues to decline, there are a growing number of people affiliated with faiths such as Sikhism, Hinduism and Islam.

"And in that way, secularism is very important," he said.

"As it's a way to represent the neutrality where everyone can feel welcome and included."

“Reverend Carmen Lansdowne, the moderator of the United Church of Canada, says B.C. has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to secularisation — across all religious traditions.

“As the first Indigenous leader of a religious denomination in Canada, Lansdowne feels the shift away from organized religion can be explained at least in part by negative historical actions.

"We see that in Canada through the legacy of residential schools, and the ways that the state and Christianity paired together to perpetuate cultural genocide against Indigenous people," she said.

"I think people moving away from religious traditions has not so much to do with their spirituality or their faith, but has to do with the rejection of harms caused by religious tradition."

“Father Douglas Fenton is the executive archdeacon of the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster.

“[He] says faith communities in B.C. are still very engaged in important issues like housing, homelessness, reconciliation with Indigenous peoples and climate change, while offering important services such as shelters and food banks.”

-----

As above, “Ian Bushfield, executive director of the British Columbia Humanist Association, says: “secularism is very important", "… it's a way to represent the neutrality where everyone can feel welcome and included."

I like the idea of a neutral space. Be who you are. Believe what you believe. But preserve a space for us all to come together and agree on the basic basics. My kind of place.

I note too the comment above about BC'ers being "believers in science". That's a funny phrase because 'believers' most often evokes the concept of being religious. But however you want to describe it, I've been happy that a majority of people in BC have gone with the science behind wrestling with the pandemic, not with the group of pastor-led folks who not only refused vaccines but rejected our province's science-based mandatory isolation order that was brought in to prevent spread of deadly disease.

I like my religion to be on the somewhat sane side.

I think "Growing up Secular" is a great title for a book. My parents were nominally religious via their upbringing in its time and place but my father felt strongly that they shouldn't inculcate their five kids. I approve this message. :)

Turns out the 3 daughters leaned churchy and the 2 sons did not. Interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2022 05:15PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 05:18PM

congratulations on your nations progress to achieving its atheistic goals OPie ~

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 05:26PM

To whom it may concern: ~
I have yet to see ~
Any documentation ~
From any country ~
Including the United States and Canada ~
That says that the goal ~
Is to become an atheistic nation. ~
If Ziller or anyone else ~
Knows of such currently existing document ~
Please share them ~
Or links to them ~
With the Board. ~
Thanks in advance. ~

Date: October 30, 2022 05:37PM

What~
blindguy~
said~

Because~
it is~
a little bit~
Brilliant~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2022 05:38PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 05:43PM

in b 4 ~ ziller finds being in the minority frightening

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 07:01PM

It's okay, he exercises his God-given right to wield instruments of mass murder.

Just in case.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 31, 2022 12:43AM

How many temples has the cult built in BC. Alberta has 3. I don't know if I've ever noticed a Mormon chapel in my travels to the Island and back.

Date: October 30, 2022 05:53PM

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 06:50PM

So the website of a single organization defines a countries values. You’re not thinking clearly.

Date: October 30, 2022 06:57PM

What's the point you are trying to make here, ziller?

On the one hand being "secular" or "non-religious" does not mean a person is a "humanist" or any other sort of "-ist." On the other, the humanism you describe seems perfectly reasonable, even attractive.

Is this another inadvertent face plant?

Date: October 30, 2022 07:34PM

OPie linked the celebratory post ~

of the executive director of the british columbia humanist association who says his organization is "thrilled" ~

the associations web site declares “the idea that you (exmos) can be good without god” ~

somehow ~

a bunch of rocks ~

bumping together in a primordial pool of seawater ~

that got struck by a fortunate bolt of lightning ~

develops amino acids ~

which evolve into exmos ~

who think that they be “good without god” ~

Date: October 30, 2022 07:48PM

Evolution sounds pretty silly, doesn't it?

It's nowhere near as coherent as the notion that some supernatural being created a planet 6,000 years ago; put dinosaur bones there to confuse everyone; stuck a single man on that planet; took one of his ribs out to construct a woman so he had someone to screw; added a talking snake but then took away its legs; decided his creation was a mistake and killed all but eight people; then ordered one of his followers to murder his son, followed by instructions to all of his followers to commit genocide so they could live alone in Canaan; and finally left his son to die a painful death because he, God, wouldn't forgive people unless someone suffered infinitely.

You've convinced me. Pass the snakes.

Date: October 30, 2022 08:15PM

in this thred ~

lottie remains true to they moniker ~

Date: October 30, 2022 08:40PM

What in my description of Christianity is incorrect?

Be specific. And when you contradict the exact words of the Bible, tell us why your views are more correct than God's.

Give it a try?

Date: October 30, 2022 09:53PM

That's what I thought: absolutely no attempt to defend the words of your God.

Never fear, though, for gun-totin', vax-hatin', muslim-despisin', science-scoffin', constitution-devaluin', women-denigratin', polish-dancin' fans are just what God needs to spread his word.

If you would just move to British Columbia, everyone would see the light and return to the straight and narrow.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 08:59PM

To all concerned: ~
Yes, Ziller supplied a document. ~
Sadly, I made a mistake ~
When asking for this documentation. ~
I failed to insert ~
"official" and "government" ~
In to my document request. ~
So Ziller's response ~
Is literally ~
If not figuratively ~
Correct. ~
However ~
Because ~
The documenting organization ~
Is a private entity ~
It cannot be said ~
To represent official state policy. ~
Therefore I amend my request ~
To say I seek official state ~
Or federal government ~
Documentation ~
Stating that ~
British Columbia ~
Or any other province or state ~
Of Canada or the United States ~
Or any other country ~
Has a goal ~
Of becoming ~
An atheistic province ~
State ~
Or nation. ~
Thank you in advance. ~

Date: October 30, 2022 09:16PM

hey blind guy ~

plz remember to use ~

lower case ~

an no punctuation ~

an more space bar ~

when trying to imitate ziller posts ~

thx ~

Date: November 03, 2022 02:26PM

blindguy's reader very likely (and obviously) does not dictate punctuation and spacing to him which is why he can imitate your style but not the look of your posts.

Which is not everybody's cup of tea anyway.

Substance over style, any day.

If that's the only response you have to blindguy's comments, it's a swing and a miss.

Date: November 03, 2022 02:35PM

"Bloody well right!"

--summer, who has gone off the "F" word at least until the midterms

Date: November 03, 2022 03:04PM

Kidding aside, I was actually shocked when I saw language in summer's post/s because well, it's summer. But sometimes needs must, as my sainted mum used to say. When she said 'bloody' you knew to sit down and stay schtum.

My father swore like a trooper falling over a cliff. Amazingly, none of us picked up the habit as an everyday go-to but when situations warrant we do borrow it, seemingly more and more as the century winds on because s _ _ _ happens. Daily.

And some good old Anglo-Saxon words certainly come in handy when nothing else will do.

Meanwhile, the tall, dark, handsome stranger beckons... He knows a few good words too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2022 03:06PM by Nightingale.

Date: November 03, 2022 03:11PM

I'm sure he does!

And I agree about the Anglo-Saxon: so much more "earthy" than that stilted* Latinate nonsense!

*I almost wrote "elevated" but that would be Latinate whereas "stilted" is Anglo-Saxon.

Date: November 03, 2022 03:18PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> *I almost wrote "elevated" but that would be
> Latinate whereas "stilted" is Anglo-Saxon.

Clever!

I just found out today that 'arse' is Anglo-Saxon.

My Brit friends use that one quite a bit. It sounds somewhat more polite than its North American equivalent but still gets the job done, with a bit of an extra oomph.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 08:13PM

Yay for B.C. !

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 03, 2022 04:39AM

Ok. British Columbia should rival Kolob in ten years.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.