Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 31, 2022 12:15PM

Can somebody give a clear explanation of that the heck this Mormon doubletalk really means?

Seriously, I could never figure it out.

Members think they are so cute. I once heard this during F/T.

-We had a great time visiting the Napa Valley (Calif). Neat towns, pretty scenery. Oh and we even took a ride on the wine train, but sat in the non-drinking car. Barf!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 31, 2022 12:25PM

I can explain. Your response about your mission on another thread prompted this.

To be in the world means you exist with others and have to accept some facts. But to not be of the world you get to enter a fantasy world of beliefs.

Look at Holland. He is the poster child for the crazy Mormon Narnia when one enters the wardrobe of baptism. You are now in a world of monarchy, a kingdom. You get to be judged where the world doesn't judge you like in praying, paying, and obeying.

There is magic here but only if you believe. If you don't you have to either keep with the sheep or go lone wolf and possible find or create another flock to find magic.

Every corner of this magic kingdom is ruled differently but alone the same guidelines of acting like royalty and dealing with each character's own interpretation of the magic of personal revelation.

If you find the different keys to open all the differences in authority you might climb the latter day brick road to sainthood and meet the wizard himself.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 31, 2022 12:31PM

"I was in the world, but not of the world, although I masturbated all I could."

--Judic West, Deep Pockets Explorer

Date: October 31, 2022 12:32PM

Just beat it. Michael Jackson.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 31, 2022 11:18PM

"If it feels good - Don't do it!"

any Mormon general authority

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 31, 2022 01:40PM

Mormons being "in the world but not of the world" translates to "We are Mormons. We are superior to everyone else on the planet". They can't very well say that, so the coded phrase is necessary in order not to appear arrogant and also to boost Mormon ego-- which is a control tactic.

Disparaging everyone else in the world with this one line is the same as blowing everyone else's candle out to make you own shine the brightest. The lazy man's way to look good, to claim the win.

And of course it is by doing exactly as told by the Gerontocracy that makes you "not of the world". They lead you, they guide you, they help you find the way. How generous is that!

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: October 31, 2022 01:53PM

How can a church that has amassed $100 billion from its members be in the world but not of it?

Date: October 31, 2022 02:50PM

Same way a prepper can amass hundreds of rolls of tp.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 31, 2022 02:01PM

It means "you can go the restaraunt, but don't eat anything that tastes good."

Date: October 31, 2022 02:49PM

The cupcakes are licked.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 01, 2022 02:16PM

The milk is sour and there is no meat on the menu.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 31, 2022 10:59PM

I am in the church but not of the church. It works both ways.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 01, 2022 12:52AM

More church doubletalk:

You have free agency, but you can't use it unless you do what the church says.

Women are special. That's why they're subjugated.

God loves you unconditionally, except for the conditions.

You shouldn't be all worldly and drink coffee, but it's OK to consume caffeine in other forms. Heck, prescription drugs are fine. Just don't drink tea.

Whenever I hear "in the world but not of the world" I think of Casper the ghost. It's all so dumb.

Date: November 01, 2022 01:22PM

Great post. Hypocritically righteous law keepers instead of spirit followers.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 01, 2022 02:50AM

It's the same as slumming.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 01, 2022 03:46PM

I was just auditing the class . . .

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 13, 2022 11:46PM

I have brain damage. Please be kind :)

Years ago, Elder Ballard (I think) gave a pompous, chauvinistic speech to BYU students that young women would benefit from wearing lip stick and putting some effort to make themselves "look pretty."

This was well discussed/analyzed here at RFM when Ballard made his crass remarks.

Doesn't his directive of wearing make-up and lipstick reinforce the discouraged message of being of the world?

Beautiful women don't need cosmetics to be beautiful -imo.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: November 18, 2022 04:57PM

I think I see what you mean. For example should we not rest on the merits of a funky-ass testimony being all that is necessary in love, courtship and marriage? Should we not heed the advice that Kimball gave that all that is necessary for a successful marriage is that a couple live the gospel? That little butthead never said anything about no pink lipstick!!!

I do two things, 1) regret I ever listened to these fools and their advise and 2) caulk this up as these fools in charge trying to add some practicality to the fools that spouted doctrine before them in setting the tone of their non-sense machine of a corporate church. They need a way to propagate the customer base.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 14, 2022 12:39PM

the one you mention that Ballard gave about wearing lipstick, etc. The bishop of the singles ward wasn't there that night. The pickings of women in the singles ward were much better than what the women got to pick from. No wonder so many of the girls were after my "husband" who I was spending not much time with as the bishop told me to make it possible that I could date someone else if my "husband" didn't decide to get married. So I'd watch them all flirt with my future husband. I tried to get him hooked up with one of them, too, as then they could save him and it wouldn't be on me.

But sitting there at that fireside that night, take a look around the room. Most of the females were dressed exceptionally well and had makeup on and fingernail polish (except me--I have never liked fingernail polish and I didn't wear lipstick every), yet the bishop told me I was the prettiest girl in the ward and he couldn't figure out why I wasn't married yet. After all I was talking to him all the time about my situation and I typed for the ward, so I knew him pretty well.

Anyway--the stake president thought it necessary to preach to the women. It is always the woman's fault. Not the nut case men in the ward who dressed in their leisure suits that were way out of date. We had one guy (who was my friend) who wore bell bottom pants. It was crazy. You have no idea how many guys had the same K-Mart blue light special athletic shoes (I say athletic while I chuckle). My future husband had those shoes. He wore shirts his girlfriend at Ricks embroidered on for him--now why didn't he marry her!?!?! Her name rhymed with my name. She came looking for him years later after we were separated and I asked if he told her he is gay and he didn't. I told him HE SHOULD HAVE as she obviously still had a thing for him.

I need to just shut up. This one just got under my skin.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 14, 2022 12:42PM

before we even got married and I still buy his clothes, as does his daughter. We don't let him pick his clothes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.