Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nehor ( )
Date: November 01, 2022 12:57PM

Jerry Lee Lewis died recently but there has been surprisingly little coverage of his marriage to his thirteen year old cousin! They later divorced but JLL was in his twenties when this happened. Unfortunately he was not alone since a lot of famous rock musicians seemed to be involved with young teenagers right into the 1970s.

I guess what I'm asking here is has society really moved on since Fanny Alger? When celebrities we like do these things we've a tendency to brush them aside, which makes us no better than the Mormons who cover up Joseph Smith's marriage to fourteen year old Fanny Alger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 01, 2022 01:10PM

not me;
tRump is another 'guy' who thinks his celeb status is a Get Out of Jail Free card, I'm not buying that from / about him either.

I wish there would be a national minimum marriage age of a full 18 yrs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2022 03:39PM by GNPE.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: November 01, 2022 07:28PM

The 18 year old minimum makes a lot of sense, but would you be open to exceptions if an angel appeared with a drawn sword?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 01, 2022 11:09PM

in b 4 ~

there should also be exceptions for cousins ~

because they are family ~

an prolly grew up together ~

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 01, 2022 01:19PM

She wasn't 14 and no.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 01, 2022 02:26PM

Apples and Oranges. JLL was up front and hiding nothing. JS was sneaky and conniving and using coercion to get what he "needed" and lying to his wife.

I don't see society brushing any of this aside as a rule--at least in our part of the world though child brides are common enough in other parts. The name R. Kelly comes to mind and Jeffrey Epstein rings a bell for some reason. Even Princes need to watch their backsides nowadays. So no. Neither the public in general nor ExMos in general are willing to overlook things like Mormons do as they make exceptions for their philandering idols like J.S.

It's like Satan in the temple saying "You can buy anything in this world with money," Also . . .you can excuse anything in this world with "God" --if you have a talent for using yours expeditiously. 'Because God" is a very scary phrase.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 02, 2022 11:42AM

While U.S. society as a whole does not accept marriages below 16 years (you can see that in the marriage laws of individual states), there are certain subgroups, many of which are evangelical in nature, who very much support and accept underage marriages, and many of these groups want absolutely nothing to do with Mormonism.

What really sets Mormons apart from other groups that support underage marriages is their history of supporting polygamy (for church leaders) and (secretly) polyandrae (for Joseph Smith alone). Outside of the FLDS (which has Mormon roots) and some Islamic groups, I can think of nobody else that supports polygamy. And, with the possible exception of the FLDS, I can find nobody, including many Mormons who don't know better, that supports polyandrae.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 02, 2022 01:21PM

when ziller was a 16 ~

all his mormon girlfreinds wanted to get married ~

in b 4 ~ jus' sayin' ~

also ~

allahu akbar ~

(الله أكبر)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 02, 2022 02:59PM

There were several sects in Europe and, later, in JS's day, in upstate New York and the broader frontier region that were practicing polygamy and free love; "spiritual wifery" was a term initially used to describe the Immortalists and other fringe groups and not Mormonism.

Smith was well aware of those groups and they probably influenced him. There was truly little that he devised himself as opposed to imitating.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.