Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 14, 2022 09:55AM

On Wednesday, we will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We are going to France for most of the weekend. We were going to stay through Sunday, but we have second row tickets to see James Taylor in Frankfurt. He was supposed to play on the 8th, but had to postpone the show because he got COVID. It's still not a sure bet he will make it to Saturday's show, since James had to cancel several concerts since getting the virus. We're keeping our fingers crossed. If it turns out he's playing, we'll come home from Alsace on Saturday. If not, we'll stay in France another night, and at least we'll have my cover...

Here's the video. This time, I sang on camera, and just used a photo on either end to get the timing right. I'm not wearing any makeup, but I think it turned out nicely! I used to dislike this song, when I was a lot younger and less experienced. Now, I think it's a great anniversary song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GrsBkQLV04&t=53s

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 14, 2022 03:37PM

That is beautiful. Great voice! Congratulations!

Date: November 14, 2022 03:53PM

Thank you! Last night, we got to Skype with his daughter, who was estranged for years, and has reconnected.

And I made a joke when he spilled coffee beans at breakfast and cussed. I said, “Now, that wouldn’t have happened if you were still a Mormon.” ;)

Being his wife has opened up so much for me… including getting to know so many exMormons, who are some of my favorite people.

It’s been a good 20 years. They have flown by!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 14, 2022 06:50PM

It was nicely done. Great voice.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 14, 2022 07:36PM

knotheadusc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It’s been a good 20 years. They have flown by!

How very fortunate, and you both deserve it. Too bad for all the mo stuff but you've navigated it very well.

I've never heard that song before. Your voice is soft and relaxing with it. I love the sentiment "the secret to life is enjoying the passage of time". That is lovely.

Also "it's just a lovely ride". A person is doing something right if they can say that. Would that it could be so for everybody.

Thanks for the video. I always enjoy them.

PS: I meant to say that it's fantastic to be able to just pop along to France for a weekend here or there. I really enjoyed my too-brief visit once when I was visiting family in England. Even though I became ill there, it was still an amazing place to be.

I embarrassed myself horribly too by asking an aged newspaper vendor for directions to the Bastille. He reacted quite harshly to my uninformed question (or maybe it was my schoolkid French). I had no clue the prison was no longer standing nor why it would evoke such an unfriendly reaction from him. It pays to do a bit of reading about a place before you show up and make like an uneducated tourist. Even so, it was great to be there. I even managed to conquer my strong distaste for heights because I couldn't pass up the chance to stand at the top of the Eiffel Tower. Sometimes you just can't miss making a lasting memory. It's fun to say I've been to the Eiffel Tower. And especially that I've seen the Mona Lisa, a longtime yearning I had.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2022 08:58PM by Nightingale.

Date: November 15, 2022 12:43AM

We are going to Ribeauville, which is a little town about two hours away from us. We used to go there a lot when we lived near Stuttgart. It’s a quaint village, very close to Riquewihr, which is considered one’s of France’s most beautiful.

I was going to plan something more exotic for our anniversary, but our dog is getting chemotherapy, and I didn’t want to board him. The place we’re staying is very dog friendly. We love Ribeauville, and haven’t been since COVID started, and our other dog has never been on a trip with us.

Given what happened with James’s concert, I am really glad I didn’t plan something further away. I would hate to miss this show. It was originally supposed to happen in February.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 14, 2022 08:04PM

Nice voice, nice cover. Sadly, this type of singing has long been out of style.

Date: November 15, 2022 02:48AM

Yes... lots of autotune out there these days. Give me the 70s singer-songwriters any day, even if they don't sound perfect.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: November 14, 2022 09:03PM

Thanks for sharing that Knotty, it was beautiful! I always enjoy hearing you sing.

I saw James Taylor in concert a few years ago. He puts on a wonderful show, and I really think you’ll love seeing him. Happy Anniversary!

Date: November 15, 2022 12:37AM

Thank you!

This will be the fourth time I’ve seen James! It will be the first time seeing him so close up! I’ve been a big fan of his for about 40 years. I also love his brother, Livingston’s, music. In fact, Livingston probably puts on the best show I have ever seen.

Anyway, it looks like James made it to Stockholm and will be playing tonight. Hopefully, his health will hold up.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: November 14, 2022 10:58PM

Wow. Fantastic voice and performance.

Date: November 15, 2022 02:47AM

Thank you! Maybe someday, I can play guitar with it, too. I'm getting better!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 15, 2022 02:55AM

James Taylor is still alive ?

Date: November 15, 2022 02:45PM

As a matter of fact, he is currently on stage in Stockholm.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 15, 2022 06:37PM

Thanks for sharing!

I love James Taylor, but never seen him live. I hope you enjoy the show!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 15, 2022 09:44PM

Very nice. I hope you have many, many more anniversaries to celebrate.

When I was in elementary school in the San Fernando Valley in CA, James Taylor came to sing to us kids in the auditorium. He was still a kid himself just getting started. Little did I know I was seeing a legend in the making.

I hope you have a wonderful time. You have a great voice and nice family! Thanks for sharing.

Date: November 16, 2022 02:38AM

What a lovely memory!

I think the most exciting visitor we had at my elementary school was a guy who bore a striking resemblance to Burl Ives and sang, "Carry Me Back to Old Virginny." I think that song was eventually retired as our state song, for obvious reasons! LOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.