Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 16, 2022 03:23AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 16, 2022 11:02AM

Every day the moon gets 0.0037 millimeters further away from your front door, so it's good they finally got an act together and took it on the road.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 16, 2022 11:37AM

Ralph Kramden would be pleased.

Date: November 16, 2022 12:25PM

“One of these days, Alice, ‘POW’, to the moon!”

—-words to live by, or more properly, words by which to live

Date: November 16, 2022 01:53PM

If Ralph would have actually done that, Alice would have been thee first person and woman on the moon.....long before Apollo 11 in 1969.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 16, 2022 11:52AM

lol @ exmos who think going to 'the moon' is even a thing ~

just lol ~

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 16, 2022 03:07PM

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: November 16, 2022 04:14PM

Thanks for the link.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 16, 2022 04:27PM

That thing was *moving* as it lifted up from the launch pad. It's a very powerful rocket!

Date: November 16, 2022 04:51PM

Nothing in the Universe is standing still . . .

Heavy, huh?

Would it even be possible to figure out how to cancel all the different motions one was subject to, so as to be "motionless" in space?  And even then, all the atoms that compose 'you' and whatever you're wearing, would be in motion...

Wow!  Double heavy!!

Has there ever been an electron, a neutron, or a photon that 'stood still'?

This is so heavy that I've just broken all my scales!!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 16, 2022 06:15PM

They rigged the electron and blasted off.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 16, 2022 06:46PM

I'm overawed. That is very, very good!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 16, 2022 06:47PM

I thought the electron was stolen. Check your sock drawer!

Date: November 16, 2022 06:38PM

There is one person that posts here that is qualified to answer this heavy stuff....at least they think they are qualified....qualification depends on how many articles they can link and names they can drop.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 01:20AM

>Has there ever been an electron, a neutron, or a photon that 'stood still'?

What do you mean by 'stood still'?

If you mean completely motionless, then according to quantum mechanics the answer is NO. If it were completely motionless then its momentum could be exactly determined (it would be 0), at the same time, its position could be determined exactly as well. This would violate the uncertainty principle. (see also zero point energy).

Relativistically speaking, if you were in a frame of reference travelling at exactly the same speed as the particle and in exactly the same direction, then the particle would **appear** to be standing still, although it would not actually be completely motionless.

Date: November 17, 2022 08:57AM

I appreciate you 'trying' to be all scientific and such, but without a YouTube citation and a couple of pithy quotations, I'm afraid you're not meeting RfM's minimum standards.

One immediate problem a space-faring Race dedicated to "making something big stand still" would encounter is making themselves stay in one place long enough to work on their project.

Making your sun/planet combo "stand still" would likely make distant observers go nuts trying to figure out why 'you' disappeared from sight so quickly...

I can't believe R.A. Heinlein's oeuvre doesn't include a juvenile novel, "The Man Who Stood Still."

...but at least we'll always have The Cat!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 16, 2022 07:43PM

Maybe they can air-drop church pamphlets to the Quakers.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 16, 2022 11:20PM

welfare for the scientific community; I wish the benefits to taxpayers who pay for this were proportional to the costs.

Date: November 17, 2022 03:30AM

The US space programs have added immensely to US technology and hence GDP. Among the many are satellites and wireless communications systems, bluetooth communications systems, materials and thermonuclear coolers for semiconductor production, programmable appliances, high temperature lubricants for industrial purposes, all sorts of medical technologies and devices, new textiles and clothing for extreme temperatures and extreme industrial conditions, and things like carbon nanotubes whose potential is enormous. The space programs were one of the things that catapulted the US economy to the technological and industrial frontier.

The payoff from this sort of public-private investment--for such it always is--is many times greater than the cost.

Date: November 17, 2022 08:36AM

are you suggesting that the items you mentioned wouldn't have happened without the NASAs projects & costs?

I don't believe that.

I write that the SETI program was (also) a huge boondoggle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2022 08:37AM by GNPE.

Date: November 17, 2022 08:59AM

Next you'll point to people on welfare and declare that the educational system is a waste of time, money, and talent that could be better invested in keeping front lawns safe from ruminants and small children.

Date: November 17, 2022 01:20PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> are you suggesting that the items you mentioned
> wouldn't have happened without the NASAs projects
> & costs?
>
> I don't believe that.

Many of those things would probably have happened anyway, but some would almost certainly have not. Moreover many of those things, if they had happened, would have occurred in other countries, enabling those countries rather than the US to achieve the concomitant scientific and technological pre-eminence.

You know what else wouldn't have been born in the United States? Search engines allowing you to check your factual assertions before removing all doubt, if you know what I mean.

Think I'm wrong? Just 谷歌 it.

Date: November 17, 2022 05:27AM

If exploration (and eventually settlement,) is not worth it, then maybe Columbus, the Pilgrims, etc. should have turned around and gone home. Exploration and settlement are what our species does. Mars will be our second home one day. Eventually it will be given a breathable atmosphere. The moon will be home to some as well.

NASA's budget is a drop in the bucket when you look at the big picture. This is a long-term play.

Date: November 17, 2022 07:26AM

"Mars will be our second home one day. Eventually it will be given a breathable atmosphere."

Mormons will need Space Conestogas to take them there. Hopefully they will all go.

Date: November 17, 2022 06:51PM

One of the pleasures of watching the TV series "The Expanse" was seeing the Mormons attempt to go to outer space. Their customized space ship included a temple. 10/10 recommend.

The thing that I liked best about the show is that in many ways, it portrayed a plausible space-faring future. Not everything was bright and shiny, but neither was it a dark vision. It hit a happy medium.

Date: November 17, 2022 11:41PM

Space, the final frontier. Where we can have as many wives as we darn well please.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 03:14AM

I like protons on my salad.

Date: November 17, 2022 02:18PM

Lots of taxpayer programs & a few departments are promoted by special interest groups via their lackey lobbyists & legislators.

Is there a government department or program without significant waste? Maybe.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 07:17PM

But it's impossible. One of the prophets said so, and prophets do not make mistakes.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: November 18, 2022 01:18AM

Moon Temple announcement coming shortly

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.