Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 08:00AM

EVs, Mormons, and conservative Catholics in the US must be salivating with envy...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-63869078

Indonesia's parliament has approved a new criminal code that bans anyone in the country from having extramarital sex and restricts political freedoms.

Sex outside marriage will carry a jail term of up to a year under the new laws, which take effect in three years.

The raft of changes come after a rise in religious conservatism in the Muslim-majority country.

Critics see the laws as a "disaster" for human rights, and a potential blow to tourism and investment.

They apply equally to locals and to foreigners living in Indonesia, or visiting holiday destinations such as Bali. Under the laws unmarried couples caught having sex can be jailed for up to a year.

They are also banned from living together - an act for which people could be jailed for up to six months. Adultery will also be an offence for which people can be jailed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 08:53AM

Yeah, that's going to put a damper on tourism. Good luck with that.

ETA: In my opinion, this will also deter TV and film production. Why take a risk with your cast and crew?

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 09:52AM

How will the tourism destinations know which couples are married and which are not? Upon marriage, individuals can choose to change their name(s) - or retain their "unmatched' Surnames.

It is difficult to imagine a resort requiring people to present their marriage certificate.

Or, if paperwork is necessary, there is a ripe market for online fake marriage certificates...

Date: December 06, 2022 10:01AM

The thing is, why take the risk? There are plenty of other beautiful, warm beaches in the world that would be much more welcoming (Hawaii, Mexico, Australia, etc.) Honestly, even as a single woman I would not visit a country with such harsh laws, because you never know when those laws might be mistakenly turned against you.

Although I agree that the hotels are likely to turn a blind eye as long as tourists play the game.

This is going to give the U.S. State Department any number of headaches in bailing out unsuspecting tourists.

Date: December 06, 2022 11:20AM

They acknowledge the difficulty in enforcement and call for tips.

Another culture turf battle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2022 11:40AM by anybody.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 10:33AM

I foresee a lot of selective enforcement.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 10:29PM

...most of the enforcement will be against women, both rich and poor. This is how such laws have worked in the past and this is how they will work again. Welcome to religious authoritarianism!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 11:22AM

Islam screws yet another country.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 11:34AM

I have a hunch that the sex repressed-obsessed perverts who made the law can hardly wait to snoop around into everyone's sex lives. I think they get some jollies finding, investigating and punishing wanton women.

I will go so far as to say that is a perk and attraction for certain types of people to become involved in religion. Now conservative lawmakers get to join in. Of course, they will get away with their own affairs while criticizing everyone else, just like our politicians here because the people who make laws like this are always hypocrites.

That said, this is part of the ongoing attempt to keep women in their place, just like stoning them and burning them. We all know women take the brunt of the punishment while the perverts gawk with glee to see the cruelty and enforcement.

Note the article mentions 6 blasphemy laws and that atheism is unacceptable. This is religion, folks. It's not good.

Date: December 06, 2022 01:02PM

"[Researcher Andreas Harsano] added that research from Gulf states, where there are similar laws governing sex and relationships, showed women were punished and targeted by such morality laws more than men.

There are now also six blasphemy laws in the code, including apostasy - renouncing a religion. For the first time since its independence, Indonesia will make it illegal to persuade someone to be a non-believer.

New defamation articles also make it illegal for people to insult the president or criticise state ideology."

Yup, punish women and reward those in charge. Business as usual.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 02:41PM

>
> For the first time since its
> independence, Indonesia will
> make it illegal to persuade
> someone to be a non-believer.
>

I hope the Indonesia Mission MP considers this when he thinks about how to fire up his Elders and Sister Missionaries!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 01:36PM

I'm 'sure' (but not certain...) this will prevent ALL unmarried sex AND affection;

Good Times in Indonesia are sure to follow!!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 02:33PM

I thought BYU solved this problem. Does the law mention durfing or soaking?

Date: December 06, 2022 02:42PM

Also, accidentally tripping and falling into a vagina cannot be seen as "having intent"!!!

Date: December 06, 2022 10:47PM

What is durfing and why didn't I get that memo???

Date: December 08, 2022 10:00PM

Got That.

ChurchCo can / would Never say 'Have Fun but Be Careful'

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 13, 2022 01:25PM

That was originally called dry h**ping.

Date: December 13, 2022 03:44PM

...also Levi-loving...

In 1967 I had two dates with a blonde BYU coed who was enthusiastic about Levi-loving. Both dates climaxed with fabric on fabric, but she "repented" of it afterward and made us pray for forgiveness.

I must have been a real stick-in-the-mud back then because I didn't ask her out a third time.  Today's EOD would bring Gregorian chants to accompany our earnest prayers for forgiveness...candles, too.  Now I'd keep trying no matter how long it took to get it right!

Her name was Wendy, and she was from Canada.  

Yeah, that's the first thing I wondered, but Wendy Watson Nelson would only have been 17 then, and she has dark hair and didn't get to the Y until around 1974.

I wonder who humped her at BYU-H and the Y?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 02:58PM

7th Century crashes into the 21st.

It's not pretty.

I agree with summer and others. Plenty of other destinations. Perhaps loss of tourism trade will speak more loudly than leaders' concerns about what people (especially women) do in privacy.

Hardly a day goes by that I'm not completely thrilled to live in North America, even with our own whole mess of thorny issues going on.

However, its easy to see, and scary, how freedoms can be scooped up and discarded by fundamentalists. As our national anthem says, it's imperative that we "stand on guard" against tyranny in all its forms.

It takes foresight, thought, attention and courage but look what all we have to lose if we let down our guard.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 06:39PM

Sex outside.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 07:06PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sex outside.

It's a freezing, rainy, snowy, dark, blustery day here in my little acre of British Columbia so, depending on one's preferences I guess, that isn't as appealing as it may first appear.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 10:58PM

Laws are one thing. Enforcement is another. They might let things slide in the touristy areas. Bali has never been a center of virtue.

Date: December 07, 2022 12:06AM

True, but it signals a generally unfriendly attitude towards women, and a religiously generated intolerance for differences.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 08, 2022 02:45AM

Whatever. Most places in the world don’t give a rat’s ass. Power does what it does.

Date: December 08, 2022 05:01AM

Yes, but what I'm saying is that women, LBGTQ, etc., may no longer feel comfortable traveling there.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 01:05PM

Well, now I got to scratch Indonesia off my bucket list.

Date: December 07, 2022 01:34PM

Perhaps Iran’s morality police would be willing to relocate.

Date: December 07, 2022 01:40PM

And Herschal Walker is available.

And Utah’s Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control could could offer pointers on how to enforce the new law.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: December 11, 2022 04:29PM

My late wife grew up in Jakarta.

There is all sorts of room for trouble with these new laws.

It's not uncommon for people to convert from Christianity to Islam, or vice versa, when marrying. How will that now stack up re. the new apostasy rules?

Others have noted above that women usually bear the brunt of these sorts of rules, but in this case it's flagrantly biased against women because Muslim men can have multiple wives in Indonesia. There are some restrictions, but those men can obviously "legally" have sex with multiple women, while women can only engage in sexual relations with their one husband.

The restrictions allow for up to four wives, but not necessarily four, so if they believe the Quran allows up to four wives, but don't meet the legal requirements to take an additional wife--one of which is permission from the first wife--they can marry "privately," which is not a "legal" marriage. So I wonder how the new laws will impact women in those sort of arrangements.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 11, 2022 04:41PM

Fascinating, Gordon.

If I may ask, was your wife Indonesian or Dutch? I knew some Europeans who lived through the war and had remarkable, if sad, stories to tell.

Date: December 11, 2022 08:48PM

Well, as she used to put it, her mom was mostly Indonesian, and her dad was mostly Dutch. She estimated that she was half Asian and half Caucasian. Her dad was from an area that had a pretty strong Dutch affinity (North Sulawesi). Her mom came from an island even farther north, but they met in Jakarta, and my wife grew up there.

Unfortunately, I don't know as much about the war there as I'd like to.

Date: December 11, 2022 09:18PM

Sulawesi. There's a crystal clear harbor there in which a Japanese Zero is still visible 30 or 40 feet below the surface. . .

Anyway, the friends to which I alluded--now quite old--are, like your wife, of mixed ancestry. When the Japanese arrived they were arrested and imprisoned in concentration camps for educated Indonesians. When the war ended, the nationalists arrested them as Westerners and threw them in their own prisons. In both cases they were treated as the "other" because they were not racially pure. Thus they lost almost a decade of freedom before being released and making their way to the West.

Did your wife become a Mormon? That in itself must be quite a story.

Date: December 12, 2022 12:06AM

Both my mother- and father-in-law were born after the war.

My wife was never a mormon. I'm a nevermo. The TBMs in my family are my brother's clan. He married a mormon girl straight out of high school.

Date: December 12, 2022 01:16AM

Wow. It sounds as if your wife passed away at a relatively young age.

I'm sorry if that's the case--although I guess there's never a good time.

Date: December 12, 2022 03:11PM

Thanks for the kind words.

She was only 45 when she passed. Her mom was 19 when she was born. Her dad is 70 now, so born in '52.

Date: December 12, 2022 04:02PM

I'm so very sorry to read that. Far too young...

Date: December 12, 2022 04:08PM

Only the good die young...

I remember my mom passing away at 50, and everyone said, "she's so young." At the time, I was 25 and thought, "50 is not young!" Don't get me wrong--I was sad to lose my mom--I just didn't consider 50 "young." But now I can say with certainty that it is, and 45 is even younger. :(

Date: December 12, 2022 12:21AM

I dread such a law for anywhere, they'll have the 'Morality Police' arbitrarily forcing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2022 12:24AM by GNPE.

Date: December 12, 2022 05:22AM

The governor of Bali has just announced that the new law will not be enforced on his enchanted isle.

I hope y'all didn't cancel your tickets prematurely.

Date: December 12, 2022 07:25AM

Date: December 12, 2022 03:33PM

Interesting.

Bali has been the target of terrorism in the past, because of its reputation as a destination for "decadent" westerners.

I hope there is no "informal" enforcement of the new rules.

Date: December 12, 2022 03:40PM

I thought about that, too. Hard Rock Cafe, 2005.

I think the government made it clear to the religious enthusiasts that God's writ stops just east of Surabaya.

Date: December 12, 2022 03:55PM

Yes, I believe Bali's majority is Hindu.

Date: December 12, 2022 04:12PM

Yes, a very unusual form of Hinduism from before the Muslim conquests.

Indian faiths dominated Sumatra and Java from the beginning of the Common Era, but centuries later Islamic states formed and embarked on the suppression of Hinduism and Buddhism. Hindu refugees fled across the strait to Bali, reinforcing the mixture of animism and ancestor worship and Hinduism that already existed there. The unique blend continued to evolve independently of India itself, leaving that single island of religion in the Indonesian archipelago.

The 15,000 islands that comprise that country present fascinating case studies in biological and religious evolution in semi-isolation. If you then add in the Malaysian and Filipino worlds, it just gets better!

Date: December 12, 2022 03:51PM

My understanding is that Islam in Indonesia has traditionally been very moderate, but that extremism has been steadily creeping in.

My wife told me that it was typical to sign in and out of high-rise office buildings, so it could be determined who was inside if it were to suffer a terrorist attack. She worked for an international organization though, so I don't know if it was just for those sort of buildings, or all of them.

One province already has special autonomy to enforce religious law. But naturally, there are double standards. For example, here's a story from earlier this year about a woman receiving 100 lashes for adultery (her partner received only 15):

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/indonesian-woman-flogged-100-times-120629819.html

Here's a video of a woman being canned for PDA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3uL-ImE3Mc

Here's a story from 2014 about a woman gang-raped after being caught in adultery:

https://religionnews.com/2014/05/08/indonesian-woman-gang-raped-faces-caning-adultery/

The woman above was gang-raped by the men who burst in to catch them, who apparently saw no contradiction or irony in their own "impure" actions. And then they reported the couple to authorities for their "crime".

The rape was condemned by authorities, but had no impact on the woman's punishment. She received nine lashes. So did the man in this case (but I assume he wasn't gang-raped).

Date: December 12, 2022 04:04PM

BTW, Indonesia had already been "cracking down" on the LGBT community for several years, even though it was technically not illegal:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/31/asia/indonesia-lgbt-rights

Date: December 12, 2022 04:23PM

Yes, Indonesia has been moving away from its traditional moderation due in part to the Saudi-inspired and -financed extremism that has been advancing in most other Islamic countries as well.

There has been a pattern of political instability and terror since WWII. There was some resistance to the Dutch before WWII, but the real change occurred during that war because the Indonesian opposition couldn't field armies and had to work through guerilla forces. The tendency continued after the war as Nationalists tried to oust the Dutch (much as in Indochina, successful in 1949) but tensions remained between the Indonesians and the Chinese community, peaking with the abortive Chinese-inspired civil war in the middle 1960s (and described in The Year of Living Dangerously). But even now there are heliports on the tops of Chinese-owned buildings in Jakarta . . . just in case.

The Islamic polarization came more recently. You refer to the imposition of limited Sharia law in Aceh Province in Sumatra. That arose as part of a separatist movement and civil war and resulted in more regional autonomy and hence more aggressive Islam as a means of differentiating the local community from the national government. But yes, that is part of a gradual tightening of social conditions throughout the country.

It hasn't gone anywhere near as far as in Pakistan and Afghanistan, but it is unfortunate. Southeast Asia has always been a great place but it is less great now than it used to be.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.