Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 02:16AM

Churches get taxpayer support in Norge? Uff da !

also, Why would the JWs ask for state $ ???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 02:27AM

"The reason for the withdrawal is the exclusionary practice that the Jehovah's Witnesses uphold when someone in the community breaks religious rules, Vart Land reported on Thursday. "In our opinion, the religious community violates the members' rights to free expression. We believe this violates the members' right to freedom of religion", the statement of the State Administrator reads. In addition, the government body argues that the Jehovah's Witnesses violate the rights of children by allowing the exclusion of baptised members."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 07:18AM

Good. It's about time they are called out on their nonsense.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 10:56AM

Yeah, there are groups that make Mormons look sane by comparison. I'd put Scientology at the top of the list, at least in the US, with the JWs not all that far behind.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 11:09AM

Good job, Norway! That sounds like a step in the right direction.

Wait until you hear about all the other exclusionary practices various religions use. ;-)

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 12:49PM

I think this article is a bit misleading and written by a "Christian" conservative website. I think nationally that the JV have only been put on notice, and local municipalities have taken action. Norwegians at large have a very hard time distinguishing between JV and LDS (or SDH as known in Norwegian) since both groups go door to door and have repressive doctrines, I would not doubt that the CJCLDS is trying to differentiate themselves hard in Norway so they to do not get sanctions. As I understand it the LDS church doesn't take any of the National Tax funds from the government, but I don't know if that is still true. I do know many Norwegians would like to ban door to door, and street contacting.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 01:36PM

DW and I were in Norway this summer for a couple of weeks. As we walking around the outskirts of Bergen DW asked me, 'Do you see what is missing?' I replied, 'I do not understand'. She said, 'There are no churches here'. Funny. We live in East TN and there are churches everywhere you look. Just from that minimal observation, it appears Norway is a post-Christian society - a high standard of living, well educated people and clean safe environment to live in.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 03:39PM

> Just from that minimal observation, it
> appears Norway is a post-Christian society - a
> high standard of living, well educated people and
> clean safe environment to live in.

Well, there you go. If there is little poverty and crime, Satan must have been barred from entry. If there is no Satan, there can be no temptation and hence no sin. If there is no sin, there is no need for a redeemer. The Plan of Salvation is dead.

What you and Mrs. Eric have observed is the embodiment of Satan's plan.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 11:21PM

You of course saw the Bergen Domkirke and probably some Stav Kirker outside of Bergen, but I can think of about a dozen churches in the downtown area, they blend in as part of the City. Most Norwegians don't attend church, except to be baptized, confirmed, married and buried. Sometimes at Christmas but Easter they are usually at their cabins skiing.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 29, 2022 08:50AM

We saw the historic churches of course in Norway. The architecture was interesting. You might need to see East TN where in our county there are over 120 churches. Many are quite small mom and pop type congregations including the group named 'The True Church of God' about 5 miles from my home. Not to be confused with the Mormon church. It was a relative reference - the contrast to churches everywhere in TN to a dearth of churches in more suburban settings in Norway.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 29, 2022 11:29AM

I had the same observation when I moved to Alabama. There were so many churches, it looked like more churches than any other kind of building. Some were little shacks. Others were mega churches that clogged traffic at times. I honestly don't know how the population supported that many churches.

Here in Mormon land, you can see an LDS building every few miles. Where I was in AL, there are far more churches. Even between the churches, several businesses were Christian this or that (Christian Car Repair, etc.).

When I think of all the time and resources spent on building churches, I question the priorities of humanity.

Date: December 29, 2022 01:41PM

I remember driving around the Sandy, Utah area, and being surprised to see a Mormon ward building about every 4-5 blocks. I wonder if that will be the case moving forward.

Date: December 29, 2022 01:40PM

>> Many are quite small mom and pop type congregations

I have a deep mistrust of those kinds of churches. At least with the major denominations (Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, etc.) you have trained ministers and some type of oversight. I'm not saying that all independent churches are bad, but I do think each one deserves a certain level of scrutiny.

Nowadays I tend to wince when I hear of someone being referred to as, "Pastor So-and-So" -- because nine times out of ten, it's a self-proclaimed pastor with no training whatsoever.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 11:33PM

I really only remember seeing Stave Kirkers and the Cathedral in downtown Oslo.

My tour visited several Stave Kirker for the historic value. Since they are my heritage I found them fascinating. The construction intrigues me.

But no obvious church on every street corner like small towns in MN.

Posted by: -/\- ( )
Date: December 30, 2022 08:43AM

Eric K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DW and I were in Norway this summer for a couple
> of weeks. As we walking around the outskirts of
> Bergen DW asked me, 'Do you see what is missing?'
> I replied, 'I do not understand'. She said,
> 'There are no churches here'. Funny. We live in
> East TN and there are churches everywhere you
> look. Just from that minimal observation, it
> appears Norway is a post-Christian society - a
> high standard of living, well educated people and
> clean safe environment to live in.

Every little village in Norway has a church. Unless a black metal singer has burned it down.

Islam is by far the fastest growing religion in Norway if you're wondering. It will overtake Christianity soon.

Historical population
Year Pop. ±%
1980 1,006 —
1990 54,000 +5267.8%
2000 56,458
2010 144,000
2019 145,000

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 30, 2022 09:06AM

"Every little village in Norway has a church."

The church has traditionally been considered the spiritual center of a town. Why would you have more than one?

Unless it's not really a church but an archipelago of indoctrination centers.

Date: December 29, 2022 01:33AM

How many RfMers are Vikings ???

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 29, 2022 02:00AM

Me, if you count the Belarus. Or the Scots. And maybe a Dane in there somewhere.

And I’ve celebrated Syttende Mai.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2022 02:02AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: December 29, 2022 02:13AM

I was at the Tucson AP once on 5/17 with Norway clothing from head to toe, I got compliments & thumbs-up..

Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: December 29, 2022 03:53PM

As the owner of a Norwegian horse, I learned that on Syttende Mai (5/17 is my birthday, as it happens), they eat loads of hot dogs and ice cream. Also cake, washed down with vast quantities of coffee.

My kind of celebration!

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: December 30, 2022 12:49PM

and he said because people prefer to go to church with people they get along with. This was south of Kona on the Big Island.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.