Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 29, 2022 10:11PM

Trying again since nobody seemed to notice.

"Go Ask Alice," Jay's Journal," And The Birth Of The "Satanic Panic"

Until yesterday afternoon, I had never heard of these books or the (Mormon) woman who wrote them -- Beatrice Sparks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Ask_Alice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay%27s_Journal

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_LaVey

Perhaps I'm answering my own question, but for years I've wondered where all this nonsense about "Satan" worshippers came from. I grew up watching old late night horror movies, and films from the late sixties / 1970s always had this weird thing about "Satanists" -- not supernatural forces like vampires or werewolves in the classic Universal Monster films or "The Car," but shadowy groups of people who did "evil" things without any rhyme, reason, or motivation (as in one of my favourites, "Race With The Devil" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hC78o_XnM8, or another, "To The Devil, A Daughter"). I just thought it was Hollywood trying to cash in on earlier films like "Rosemary's Baby" (which I've never seen) or "The Exorcist."

But in reality, there were no real "satanists." Small groups like Aleister Crowley's or Anton LaVey et al. were few in number. Even the much talked about Satanic Temple is a parody religion like The Church Of The Sub-Genius.

Turns out it was make-believe from Mormons and other fundie Xtians projecting their fears through their cosmology/theology/eschatology onto the social change of the 1960s. I've wondered for years why they would think things like mass shootings, the addiction crisis, or pandemics were caused by mysterious "satanists" and how could anyone believe in such nonsense straight out of the Salem Witch Trials.

Too many Mormons, fundie Xtians, JWs, etc. get sucked into conspiracy theories and other nonsense because of wacky religious indoctrination into thinking "satanists" were under the bed, lurking in the closet, in the PTA, the Rotary Club, or whatever and were behind all the "evil" things like women's lib, civil rights, marriage equality, and so on.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/9-things-you-should-know-about-modern-satanism/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2022 05:01AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 29, 2022 10:33PM

Satanism is just more silly theism.

Date: December 29, 2022 11:23PM

I tried summoning Satan when I was in seventh grade.
Neither Satan nor any of his minions bothered to show up.

What a jerk.

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: January 01, 2023 11:58AM

If god doesn't exist then neither does satan. It's just a nice bonus that comes with the acceptance of reality.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 01, 2023 12:28PM

But the existence of groups of 'unlike-minded people' proves that having a 'definition' isn't enough.

There is no consensus when it comes to so many areas of life, of loving, and of living.

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: December 30, 2022 01:04AM

in the very early 2000s SLC on the east bench by the Avenues was inundated with dead eviscerated cats used as Satanic sacrifices and left on people's lawns. After some days, oops, it was due to foxes going to war with their rival suburban cats. A certain tourist trap city in Nevada was said to be infested with Satanists in the the high school.

Mo anti-rock literature and motivational speeches referenced that JAY'S JOURNAL "book" as factually proven. Both Lynn Bryson and Jack R. Christianson (That APPLES AND ONIONS book from 1982 that "improved" on a 1976 football story from Oklahoma) referenced JAY'S JOURNAL.

The Satanic Panic came in with Reagan, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, David Duke, Phyllis Schlafly, and Anita Bryant in 1980. It was an inflation of anti-pop culture warnings to middle class kids going back to Communist folksingers taking over the government during the Depression and early Cold War, voodoo crooners (Crosby, Russ Columbo, and foppish Rudy Vallee in 1934; Crosby was sanitized like Elvis was for the movies later), jazz dancing, and syncopated ragtime as far back as 1899.

Beware John Lennon's Spear of Destiny and Yoko Ono's witchcraft. Ouija Boards!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2022 01:08AM by snagglepuss.

Date: December 30, 2022 03:09AM

https://www.ksl.com/article/89723/foxes-determined-as-avenue-cat-killers

It's not a human, but another animal to blame. All of those animals,.11 cats and a dog were found in the same area, on H Street around 8th Avenue and at the cemetery. That similarity as well as some hard core forensic evidence has lead to an interesting and relieving discovery.

Over the past year the area has seen the leftovers of what many assumed was the work of a sadistic animal killer -- someone cutting up cats and leaving them out in the open to scare people. It did.

Date: December 30, 2022 01:17AM

The fundies who gave us Prohibition were working on getting a constitutional amendment through Congress in 1926 to outlaw dating and ballroom dancing. Fundy clergy in New York claimed that ballroom dancing caused 80% of out-of-wedlock births in New York, and undercover cops in Chicago waded into crowds at public park concerts with saps and truncheons to club couples dancing pop music of the day (ragtime and polkas).

Oh, the government added formaldehyde (embalming fluid) to stores of medicinal alcohol to thwart bootleggers boiling it down and making illegal liquor. Your speakeasy cocktails could poison and kill you by government design.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2022 01:22AM by snagglepuss.

Date: December 30, 2022 02:58AM

Yup. And I still buy denatured alcohol.

Date: December 30, 2022 04:54AM

Forget about aliens or satanists...it's El Chupacabra...or maybe Bigfoot...or Thunderbirds...

https://history.denverlibrary.org/news/welcome-%E2%80%9C80s%E2%80%9D-cattle-and-satanic-panic

"During that era, Satanism was the go-to scapegoat for many of the ills of the world, from ritual child abuse, to murders, to drug use, and to the aforementioned cattle mutilation. There were also alleged to be a great many gateways into the Satanic lifestyle, including (but not limited to) playing Dungeons and Dragons, playing video games, and listening to heavy metal music. (As someone who did all three, I can personally attest that the closest I ever came to mutilating a cow was sloppily eating a cheeseburger.)"

https://dailyyonder.com/alien-experiment-violent-crime-or-natural-occurrence-cattle-mutilations-in-the-west-continue/2021/06/11/

Linda Moulton Howe, a journalist and paranormal investigator, has been investigating cattle mutilations since 1979. She believes the bloodless, trackless animal deaths are evidence that we are being visited by extraterrestrials.

“I began investigating bloodless, trackless animal mutilations (domestic and wild) in Colorado in September 1979, when I was Director of Special Projects at the CBS station KMGH-TV in Denver, Colorado,” she said. “Law enforcement and ranchers saw strange glowing circular craft at night extend beams down into their pastures where they would find a bloodlessly mutilated animal after the sun came up. It was Sheriff Tex Graves of Logan County, Colorado, who told me in September 1979, ‘The perpetrators of these animal mutilations are creatures from outer space.’”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2022 05:08AM by anybody.

Posted by: Son of Paleface ( )
Date: January 01, 2023 01:47AM

I remember in the 1970's going to college and studying in what was then called police science our main instructor (ex investigator/detective), mentioned the cattle mutilations and how it was a mystery, who knows. When I was a child I was afraid of ghosts for a while (let me now set the record straight, I have never seen a ghost), and my Father told me a story of a ranch that was haunted and whoever could spent a night there would own this ranch, many have tried and have perished, you get the story, a cowboy spends the night and fires off shots with his trusty rifle and you guessed it the "ghost" was a crazy neighbor next door who wanted the land for himself, and the moral of the story is most ghosts can be killed by a bullet, in other words just stories, oh and the story worked I stopped being afraid of ghost stuff

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 30, 2022 05:55AM

https://thesatanictemple.com/

The Satanic Temple will be more than happy to take your money. Why should God get all the tax exempt donations?

Posted by: Doctor Acula ( )
Date: December 30, 2022 08:23AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://thesatanictemple.com/
>
> The Satanic Temple will be more than happy to take
> your money. Why should God get all the tax exempt
> donations?

It's questionable whether the so called Satanic Temple are real Satanists. I suppose you could say they're the televangelists of Satanism, a lot of publicity and money grabbing and not much in return.

Posted by: -/\- ( )
Date: December 30, 2022 08:36AM

Date: December 30, 2022 03:39PM

One adult wore a devil mask to frighten a child, and there was mention of animal metamorphosis as in the popular kids books. That's all.

Posted by: Lackadaisical Saint ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 08:07AM

anybody Wrote:
> One adult wore a devil mask to frighten a child,
> and there was mention of animal metamorphosis as
> in the popular kids books. That's all.

Did you read the article? The children were made to sacrifice animals and bathe in blood. They were also raped by a large group of people and made to do magic rituals again and again.

Yet you brush all this aside and say "that's all" as if you think this is normal, everyday behavior!

Date: December 31, 2022 10:20AM

Crazy demented parents on drugs trying to frighten kids is bad, yes. But Satanic? No — unless you are saying anyone who does bad things does so because Mr Scratch is pulling the strings and making them do so.

Date: December 30, 2022 05:59AM

https://oto-usa.org/

If you want to advance along the left hand path and dig Masonic and Golden Dawn type stuff, the OTO might be for you.

Date: December 30, 2022 06:48AM

Here's a comprehensive list of similar groups compiled by the Church Of The Sub-Genius.

https://subgenius.com/hwbw.htm

The Return of High Weirdness By Mail

Over 20 years ago, Rev. Ivan Stang and others wrote the book on kooks, visionaries and rogue weirdos of every stripe. That book is out of print.

A few years ago, the noble Friar Synapse took upon himself the Herculean task of tracking down the various entities listed in the original book to see if any might still exist and even have websites.

Almost all did.

Next step: the rebuilding of the book, using these links plus new ones discovered by SubGenius researchers. Friar Synapse also corrected our old SubSITE kookweb listings -- see end of this long long page. We have our Slack cut out for us.

"MAY YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE COURAGE TO JUMP ONTO THE "BOB" TULPA'S TRACTOR!"
-- Friar Synapse
Weird Science

The Flat-out Truth
Index of Creationist Organizations [Bible Science Association]
Shavertron
Breatharian Secret
Welcome
Szukalski.com - Official online source for artist Stanislav Szukalski (1893 - 1987)
Breatharianism - Living on Light
Borderland Sciences - Main
Edward T. Babinski - Hell's Final Enigma
Pegasus Products, Elixirs and Vibrational Remedies
Tesla Book
Lindsay's Technical Books
L5 News
The Flyingsaucer - Vol.10 p.2
IONS - Institute of Noetic Sciences
Unclassified-Commerical Mind Control Technology [Resonance]
The Energy Machine of Joseph Newman
FRENETTE furnace fuelless
energy21 free energy website based on material from The Encyclopedia of free energy
CENTRAL PREMONITIONS REGISTRY
The Flat-Earth Bible.
http--www.textfiles.com-bbs-KEELYNET-ENERGY-frenette.asc
frenette fuelless furnace

Posted by: Doctor Acula ( )
Date: December 30, 2022 08:21AM

The good news is that Satanists are very few in number. The bad news is that they do exist and they aren't all cuddly.

The idea that Satanists are atheist is a comparatively recent one. Traditional Satanists do not seek publicity like Anton LaVey or the Temple of Satan folk do, although there is a lot of soft-peddling of Satanism in pop culture and not just for shock value.

But when it comes to something like child abuse, you are statistically more likely to have been abused by a government run institution, such as a children's home or school, rather than a Satanist or even a member of some other religion's clergy.

Date: December 31, 2022 06:51AM

If you like black masses and bare titties The Church of Satan is for you!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 02:58PM

Doctor Acula Wrote:
> . . . a lot of
> soft-peddling of Satanism in pop culture and not
> just for shock value.

Evidence? What "pop culture" artists or influencers are satan worshipers? What are their "pop culture" satanic acts?

------------------
> But when it comes to something like child abuse,
> you are statistically more likely to have been
> abused by a government run institution, such as a
> children's home or school, rather than a Satanist
> or even a member of some other religion's clergy.

Can you show us those "statistics?" I don't think you can.

Posted by: No Cope No Seethe ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 05:31PM

>Can you show us those "statistics?" I don't think you can.

You've just said there that you think more kids are being abused by Satanists than public school teachers and social workers etc.

Date: December 31, 2022 05:35PM

Really? Asking for evidence of a proposition equals endorsement of the opposite proposition?

Sure, that's logical.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 30, 2022 10:29AM

I remember decades ago when Satanic cult chatter was popular, I was on a grand jury that involved a murder. One of the "defense" strategies used was claiming a Satanic cult was the killer. Apparently the murderer planted a few candles and thought that would fly.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 02:50PM

I do remember the “Satanic Panic” from the 70s, and the book Go Ask Alice. I did not realize at the time that it was written by a Utah Mormon woman. Or that it was basically fiction but presented as real. Kind of like the BoM.

I heard an hour long radio documentary about her last summer. I’ll look around and see if I can find a podcast version.

In the meantime, this gives a pretty good idea of what she did:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_Sparks

Posted by: No Cope No Seethe ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 05:25PM

It's sad to see board regulars both rationalizing and enabling this.

Date: December 31, 2022 05:33PM

Well, that gets the award for silliest post of the day.

Demanding evidence is not "rationalizing" except in the sense of requiring rationality. Questioning the lack of evidence is not "enabling" anything; to the contrary, it is "disabling" credulousness of the sort that often leads to witch hunts.

Enjoy your prize roll of tin foil.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 05:39PM

Rationalizing and enabling what? Something fundies made up to justify their own greed and lust for power?

And, let me guess, you're going to claim Satanists have put their imagery in metal album covers and Rorschach blots.

Date: December 31, 2022 05:44PM

He said precisely that--"pop culture"--above when he was posting as Doctor Acula.

In this thread he has posted as

1) Doctor Acula,

2) No Cope No Seethe,

3) Lackadaisical Saint, and

4) –/\–

He apparently thinks that his position grows stronger if he makes it appear multiple people agree with him.

Date: December 31, 2022 06:13PM

I never understood the obsession with claiming metal and horror are "satanic." I thought horror stories were descended from morality tales, some of the death imagery in metal can be traced to art from the Bubonic Plague and Hieronymus Bosch, and the idea of backwards masking was wacky nonsense*. Plus, there isn't a single metal song I can think of that inspires as much horror and despair as "The Christmas Shoes."

And, while I do like it when people agree with me, I think posting under aliases to do so is unbelievably pathetic.

*I honestly thought this was something Hollywood made up for movies, but people seriously thought there were backwards messages on records. The sound would be terrible, it would damage the needle, and why would a band want their paying fans to commit suicide? The only good portrayal of this I've seen was on an episode of "Eerie, Indiana." Seriously, one of the few smart responses to this panic was in a kids show?

Date: December 31, 2022 06:29PM

Hieronymus Bosch is indeed disturbing; so too the original Grimms' Fairy Tales and Hans Christian Anderson, in which Satan and devils are very real presences. There is nothing in modern "pop culture" that compares to such "classical" material.

As for backtracking music, a friend with a reversible turntable once played an ELO tune (about the only time I ever listened to ELO) that did indeed have audible comments. I recall it as "the music goes backwards but time does not. Turn back, turn back, turn back."

Looking it up now, I messed up the lyrics a bit but it is indeed there. See from 1:00 in the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSq_OfENFMo

I have no idea how such goofing around by scruffy musicians and sound engineers encourages satanism. In fact, I've never seen any evidence that backtracks influence human behavior in any way.

I'm sure our multinominal friend will perceive what I just wrote as "enabling" satanism. I think that's nonsense, but just in case I promise to confess to Jesus when he returns--although the only penance he'll likely require is performance of a few mariachi numbers and he won't care if I am off tune.

Date: December 31, 2022 06:36PM

If I ever did backwards masking in a recording, the message would be, "Don't go looking for messages where there aren't any. *Beat* Why are you still playing this backwards?!"

Posted by: Stryper ( )
Date: January 02, 2023 07:15AM

ookami Wrote:
> I never understood the obsession with claiming
> metal and horror are "satanic."

Why would you "never understand" it? You don't sound like you've been round metalheads much.

Heavy metal's been using Satanic imagery since the 1970s. Metal bands have an obsession with the Devil, Hell and inverted crosses and pentagrams. This includes successful ones like AC/DC, Slayer, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and even Anthrax. You can argue to your heart's content about whether this is just posing or not. In some cases like King Diamond or that guy who burned churches in Norway, it's not.

This is AC/DC lyrics. Again, you can argue about whether it's just being edgy but it's certainly using Satanic imagery:
"If you're into evil, you're a friend of mine/ See the white light flashing as I split the night/ Cos if good's on the left then I'm sticking to the right/ I won't take no prisoners, won't spare me no lives/ Nobody's puttin' up a fight/ I got my bell,/I'm gonna take you to hell
I'm gonna get ya, Satan get ya"

It's crappy poetry but it's still about Satan. Here's a group called Satanic Warmaster. If you can't get it from this...

"Malignant Winds carry out the wicked hymn/ Song by a thousand tortured Christians/ Telling of the coming of the New Age of Satan
The New, Black Aeon/
From beyond the stars carried by Black Wings/
He arrives, to claim what is His to take/
A horned shadow rises and shadows the sun/
The Earth is blackened

"In the dead of the Satanic Winter/
Lord Sathanas returns/ The sun is eclipsed/ By the black leather wings"

Still don't understand?

Date: January 02, 2023 11:46AM

You're not fooling anyone Doctor Acula/No Cope, No Seethe/Lackadasical Saint/Stryper.

And if mentioning Satan is a sign of evil, your head is a more wicked place than any record store.

P.S.

Metal doesn't make people hate Christians. Preachy, judgmental tossers make people hate Christians.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2023 01:05PM by ookami.

Date: January 01, 2023 01:02AM

The fundies REALLY built up publicizing Aleister Crowley in the early '70s. Watch the videos, HELLS BELLS and HELLS BELLS 2 by Eric Holmberg, and THEY SOLD THEIR SOULS FOR ROCK 'N ROLL by Pastor Joe Schimmel. They really, really pump up the books by Aleister Crowley, running picture after picture of his titles and saying "Don't Read This! And Don't Read This! And Don't Read This! Whatever You Do, Look at This and never, ever, buy these books and read them! Look at this book and do not read this book, and this book, and this book...." Each of the videos spend something like 45 minutes or an hour pumping one book photo after another in the presentation.

Crowley's photo stand up cutout first appeared in a Lp cover shot on the Beatles' SGT PEPPER album; David Bowie started referencing him in the early '70s.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2023 01:09AM by snagglepuss.

Date: January 01, 2023 02:38PM

I'm still trying to figure out just WTF a satanist is.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: January 02, 2023 01:02PM

Satanist is Puddy on Seinfeld.
https://youtu.be/hGmU-noX2g4?t=20

Date: January 02, 2023 02:21PM

David Puddy was a great character.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.