Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 12:31PM

I travel a lot and when I travel I visit different places for Sacrament meeting and maybe Priesthood class. I have found that only 2 places where I have visited have the members really reached out and embraced me and welcomed me. Most of the time they just walk by, give me a glance and walk by. That includes the local Bishoprics. And I wear a suit and tie. For a Church that teaches people to be Christ like they seem to be failing.

The populations of the wards I attend seem to be getting older. These members when they talk in classes are presenting view points from earlier church days and they are not up to date on the latest changes and teachings the church is sort of hiding today. If I do comment, they look at me as if I am from Mars and what you are saying can't be.

Talks all seem to be from conference talks. Very few people give talks from the heart and the soul. I seldom hear the following like I used to up until about 15 years ago. "I know the Church is true." "I know JS was a prophet, etc." "I know the BoM is true." What I hear is "President N is a true prophet." "Going to the temple helps me in my life to get answers." Very few members incorporate scriptures in their talks, its all quotes from GA's.

As I observe members and their interactions its numbing. As I have said before the membership seems to have lost their way, lost their soul. People just go through motions. 10 minutes when Church is over the place is cleared.

When I attend my home ward its like ice. And the Bishop seems distance. A year ago I wanted to get sealed to my deceased wife. (please no lecture on that) So I went and saw the Bishop and had to fill out some sort of application. It took me four months as they wanted to know every sin I had committed with my previous wives. (I was sealed to first wife but divorced for over 45 years, so that is why I needed this clearance). Then he interviewed me and so did Stake President. Form sent to SLC and letter comes back from top three saying I can be sealed to my deceased wife. It says I have to get a special recommend signed by Bishop and Stake President. Anyways I stopped at this point because when I told Bishop I got letter back and needed to see him he said, "yes we need to talk. There is something on your Church record we need to talk about." (I was disfellowshipped for 16 years and have only been back in for past 9 years.) What has been interesting is the Bishop who is a medical doctor has been ice cold to me since then. I think its more than that. I think the Church did some research on me when the application was sent in and they discovered that the church has a file on me. They reported that to the Bishop. I knew they had a file on me. Thanks to the "secret lets keep the Church safe committee!!" I think they have found out I post on this board. Hence lets have a chat moment.
In summary my spirituality, etc. is enhanced every day by mediation, mindfulness and my interactions with real people. This is my report.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 12:49PM

The Mormon church, inventing problems where there are none. I'm sorry that they won't let you get sealed to your dear wife. I know that on an emotional and spiritual level that must be very important to you to get that accomplished.

I would schedule the meeting with the bishop anyway. Let him spell it out. If you've been back for nine years, that's a very long time, long enough to let go of any grudges. At least you will know where you stand. If they won't let you get sealed to your wife, then you might want to re-evaluate whatever the church wants from you in terms of money and time. Why give, give, give, with never anything in return?

From your description, the church sounds moribund at the ward level.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 03:03PM

thx 4 your report OPie ~

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 03:10PM

Thanks, SEP. Both parts of your "report" are interesting.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 03:47PM

they were cracking down on what I could teach in R.S. It didn't matter what I did or said, they would tell me I was to stick to the manual. What, 2 pages? Should I read it right from the book? Make that last how long?

So I would think that they have made everyone feel like they can't say anything that might be their opinion or anything close to it.

Personally, I do understand why you would want to be sealed to your deceased wife. I thought that once you repented of whatever, that it was forgiven and FORGOTTEN. Obviously not. Oddly enough, my husband did talk to the leaders about being gay in the singles ward, but it didn't seem to follow him to this ward. We both found that odd. They did seem to decided to come after him when the guy who we used to get our insurance from asked him why our son was having problems back in middle school, and the husband told him about him being gay and him leaving us. And what do you know, I got a letter in the mail from the church looking for him within a week or so. We knew this insurance guy in the singles ward.

I'm sorry they have treated you like they have. Nothing like getting grilled by the bishop and other leaders. I had done nothing, but I wasn't telling my bishop cousin why I was all stressed out when I got my recommend to get married. He found out later and has tried for years to make it up to me and I can't stand him. His mother considered me her favorite niece.

It must be really tough to deal with the mormons. Mormons are not friendly to outsiders. I tried it a few times in my single years when I took my nonmember friends to wards. They all just found mormons strange.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 03:49PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 05:01PM

Same here -- it's nice to have a first-hand report.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 04:43PM

Such a contrast to the church I grew up in.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 04:52PM

+Yep.

The Mormon "experience" is radically different.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 05:55PM

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 06:55PM

Perhaps we could have a zoom meeting and seal you to your dead wife. Since tscc isn’t real per se we could help seal you to your wife. I would think a true God would accept our sealing over a false church. Just a thought. I am not trying to hurt you or make fun. I am serious.

If you believe you are sealed to her you are. If you need witnesses to that I think there are many on this board that would back you.

But the God you believe in would accept your words over those so called leaders teaching false doctrine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.