Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kestis ( )
Date: January 05, 2023 06:36PM

We stayed in the BYU dorms for youth camp. I was denied entrance to the cafeteria on day one because they claimed my pants were sagging (they really weren't). I had to go change but I was too embarrassed to come back. I was 14. Ridiculous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 05, 2023 06:40PM

That is completely ridiculous. I teach impoverished youth, and my first question to them each morning is, "Do you need breakfast? -- if so, go to the cafeteria and get some." I don't require them to do any school work until they've had a reasonable chance to eat. What adult in charge of youth denies them food?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 05, 2023 06:49PM

That's disgusting, Kestis. I'm sorry they humiliated you like that.
When I went to BYU, they were always on the lookout for skirts not being long enough. Girls were not allowed to wear jeans. A roommate gave me a pair but I was afraid I'd get caught wearing them.

They were controlling over the dumbest things.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: January 05, 2023 07:26PM

I went to BYU for a short period of time before I could not take it anymore.

I would be walking on campus and if a girl was to close to me, someone would scream PDA at the top of their lungs and point at me with a stern look of distain.

The religion professors were the worst, lecture you about how you were under the control of Satan. Then there was the call from the Bishop about what someone saw you doing, or you said "Hell" or something stupid like that.

I had surgery while there on my knee, and some girl sat next to me in the meeting area of the dorm rooms, and the house mother went nuts.

BYU does not like independent thought!

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: January 05, 2023 08:04PM

I feel your pain.

LDS Inc. and their ridiculous rules.

When I was at Ricks College painter pants were all the rage where I came from, which wasn't Idaho or Utah. Painter pants were just regular modest cotton pants that came in a variety of colors and had a little loop on the side for the paint brush. No one actually put a paint brush in the loop, but the loop in the pants distinguished it from just regular pants. It was a silly fad but fun.

Of course the clothing police at Ricks thought that little loop on the side must be for something evil, exactly what I can't imagine. I was told I couldn't wear the pants because of the loop.

Another time the elderly woman in the gym whose job it was to make sure we all followed the rules tried to kick me out because I was wearing personal sweats and not the Ricks uniform. I told her that I was on the track team and because I was on a school sports team the school policy was that I could wear my personal sweats. She didn't believe me and took me to the track coach's office, thinking she would catch me in a lie. The coach verified that I was on the team and therefor could wear my own sweats. Seeing the look on the woman's face was the best thing that happened to me at Ricks!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 05, 2023 08:07PM

LOL. That's just loopy!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 05, 2023 10:09PM

When I went to Ricks 1966-67, there was a ban on wearing jeans to class. So I had to head down to thr menswear store for slacks. Hated them and the rules and the Nazis that enforced them.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: January 05, 2023 08:27PM

Be glad you aren't at Bob Jones or Oral Roberts universities.
They are even worse.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 07, 2023 06:10AM

Or Pensacola Christian College.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 05, 2023 09:12PM

The title gives away that I'm much older than you. It was horrible, a boring and lonely time. The last day, the buses had some problem. I don't know what. We had no water. The only thing we had to drink was from the pop machine and I got some crappy drink.

But I was begged by 2 other girls that I ran around with most of the time to go. Then they shared a room and left me out. I was alone most of the time.

I was such a TBM little girl, but I couldn't bear the thought of going to BYU or any school college. I hated even being in Provo when I'd visit my sister at BYU. I stayed away from things like the Manti pageant and dance festivals, that I had to go to as my sister was in it. She was very reserved, but she did all this kind of thing like dance club. I can't believe it. I hated stuff like that.

I'm sorry they did this to you. I really hated people who were older who bulled kids. The old ladies in the temple were extremely bad and were nagging me about my lace sleeves and they weren't nice. They were on my wedding dress, but they had caps on the sleeves and you couldn't see anything. The ladies at ZCMI told me what had to be changed on the dress. My mom showed up, who wasn't a very assertive individual, and just the fact someone their age showed up, they backed down and quit treating me so poorly. It happened very time I went to the temple, some old lady would bully me.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: January 06, 2023 01:17AM

Knit pickers!

Attempting to point out a mote in your eye
While ignoring the beams in their own

(the implication is that someone is ignoring a glaring fault of their own while criticizing a smaller one in someone else)

Not nice people
Acting like themselves

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 06, 2023 07:22AM

I remember smoking pot in a ground level dorm room at a Rick’s College youth camp. We were blowing the smoke out the window and some girl’s smelled it and came over. I thought we were fucked because they would rat us out but they thought we were cool and they started talking to us. They were cute so life was good. I learned not all Mormon girls are prudes.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: January 06, 2023 04:33PM

I was at Ricks College for ESY and we were outside playing football. I had on a t-shirt that read "Where the hell is Lake Isabella California." I was told to turn the t-shirt inside out, or go back to the dorms. I did, but I didn't feel guilty about it. I was 17 I think. One of the girls there saw me take the shirt off and turn it inside out. We made out on the bus the whole way home.

I loved ESY.

HH =)

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: January 06, 2023 04:34PM

EFY not ESY.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.