Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Claire Ferguson Benson ( )
Date: January 07, 2023 04:29AM

I was so pleased UK. OK., who I’d met at an Exmo meet-up in the UK, said hello on another thread and it made me think of all the lovely Exmos and fun meet-ups we had over the years.

We met up in London quite a few times, plus Birmingham, Glasgow and I’ve a feeling a couple of other places too that I’ve forgotten.

Please say hello here and share your IRL name if you feel comfortable. Please tell us where you’re based and how you are, if you’re ok doing so of course.

I left the church in 2005, having joined as a convert 30 years earlier. I was devout for the first 28 of those years and less so the last two. Served in the England Leeds Mission January 1985 to August 1986.

Born and bred in London and lived in the UK until three years ago when I came over to Arizona. We visited the UK in March last year, had to be a quick visit as we squeezed it into half term/Spring Break (which was a mistake to, we’ll come for longer next time). Hopefully we can arrange a meet-up on our next visit.

Would love to hear from you!

And thank you to the non-UK peeps for indulging this thread. Feel free to join in :)

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2023 04:39AM by Claire Ferguson Benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 07, 2023 06:43AM

I'm a nevermo from Woking, but I've lived in and around Paris (the French one ;-) since 1983. Nice to see you back with us, Claire.

Posted by: shoulderwheelie ( )
Date: January 07, 2023 09:09AM

Somerset, UK. South of Bath, north of Salisbury, east of Glastonbury and centre of the universe.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: January 07, 2023 09:52AM

Was born in Brighton but grew up in southeast London. Lived in Kent before moving to north America in 1967. Live now in Idaho.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 07, 2023 09:52AM

I am in the US but really enjoyed the news from your meet-ups. I remember one had some interesting bathrooms?

I am still not over the loss of Queen Elizabeth, I have admired her since I was a little girl. I just ordered a few commemorative things from the Royal Collection. I am glad I have been collecting things the last few years.

Date: January 07, 2023 10:09AM

Kentish, I lived in Brighton and southeast London (SE19) until a few years ago. I used to meet up with people on FLAK. I went inactive on ExMo boards

Date: January 07, 2023 10:12AM

Claire, I grew up in four corners area of the USA. Amazing how we all just shuffle around the globe filling spaces that others have vacated and leaving spaces for others to fill.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 07, 2023 11:20AM

I was born in Brighton because my father was working there but they returned to London when the invasion barriers went up on the Brighton beaches at the start of WW2. I guess they thought they were safer in blitzed London. I grew up in Forest Hill until I bought my first house near Ashford in Kent. That's where I met the Mormons.

Posted by: Peaky Blinder ( )
Date: January 07, 2023 11:44AM

Never mind that royal rubbish, here's the big UK news story. The headline is interesting.

https://www.indy100.com/viral/scarbrough-fireworks-walrus-new-year

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 08, 2023 12:05AM

"a town in the UK was forced to cancel its fireworks display because of the presence of a masturbating walrus"

Fireworks can definitely throw off your concentration.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 08, 2023 06:37PM

Thor the masturbating walrus has obviously not reported his misbehavior to his local bishop, who understandably wants to maintain a safe distance from Thor's massive tusks. lol

Date: January 07, 2023 02:42PM

Perhaps her was looking for the Carpenter.

Posted by: UK. OK. ( )
Date: January 08, 2023 09:17AM

Hi again Claire,
Glad to hear you’re doing so well.
I’m always careful about my identity (not that I’m anyone important but had contacts within the church offices)
I like most members but recognise that the mormonism is “a business disguised as a church” which milks it’s members of their money
When you’re out it’s so easy to see the lies and falsehoods but not so when you’re completely brainwashed.
I’m always pleased to hear they’re losing membership and wish the missionaries would knock my door (I’d be very nice to them) and encourage them to return home to their families but you can keep Harry.
Sorry to go rambling on.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 08, 2023 03:22PM

Not sure if this counts but I was born near London. My parents moved to Canada when I was 3 yrs old and I've lived here since, with gratitude for being in such a great country.

As the entire extended family on both sides all remained in England we've had close ties with "back home", as my parents called it, throughout our lives. In many ways I feel more English than North American. It's a bit of a challenge really.

We kept in touch with grandparents, aunts and uncles. I don't know most of my cousins well though and their children not at all.

My older sister (also born in England) and I feel a tug still as does my younger sister (born in Canada). Strangely, we are all in love with Scotland, where my mum was born, but where we've only visited infrequently for short trips and have no family or friends who live there. I love the pipes and the men in kilts. The history and scenery aren't bad either. :)

This is strange but I always wanted to marry a Scottish doctor (combining two of my major interests - Scotland and medicine). Unfortunately, to date I've never met one! LOL

Also unfortunately for me, I am a total wimp about flying so it's a bit hard to get myself over there. I'd love to go again if I can force myself to get on a plane sometime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2023 03:23PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 08, 2023 06:44PM

I feel a tug, and I'm three generations removed! My great grandpa on my father's side was born in west London. He was a mariner who settled in Maine. I believe his roots go back to Kent. His wife's family (my great-grandmother and namesake) also go back to England on a different familial line (she was a William Bradford/Mayflower descendant.) I hope to research it in more detail one day, and to visit Great Britain once again, hopefully multiple times. A good friend of mine lives and works in London.

Date: January 08, 2023 08:22PM

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired if life; for there is in London all that life can afford." Samuel Johnson

London is vast and diverse, probably more so than when I spent the first 24 years if my life there. It still gives me a sense of excitement when I visit just as it did went I went into its center on my first day of work many years ago for a wage of three pounds, seven shillings and eleven pence pert week.

Posted by: OK.UK ( )
Date: January 08, 2023 04:04PM

Hi Nightingale
I share your dislike of flying although I’ve done some in my time but no more.
Brits feel a kinship with our Commonwealth friends. All the best.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.