Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 08:57AM

Yes, I know this is a problem with no actual solution. But here's my suggestion: tell the members, in General Conference, with follow-ups in the church magazines and letters over the pulpit, that there simply AIN'T GONNA EVER BE A LAST DAY. That we are not in the LAST DAYS BECAUSE THERE AIN'T NO SUCH THING. That LIFE IS JUST GONNA GO ON AS IT ALWAYS HAS UNTIL THE SUN BURNS ITSELF OUT IN A FEW BILLION YEARS. So DEAL WITH IT.

I know this would come as quite a shock to most active LDS types, because their whole theology is built around the notion of an approaching Armageddon and all that. But It would revive the hopes of those few- many of whom have turned to places like this site- that maybe, just maybe, Mormonism could concentrate on helping our world be a better place in the here and now instead of crawling into their psychological bunkers where they work to dismantle democracy as a sign of their devotion to Jesus.

Maybe. One can dream.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 09:11AM

This fake guru told his followers it was all a sham.

They didn't react the way he expected.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumar%C3%A9

Kūmāré is a 2011 documentary film directed by and starring American filmmaker Vikram Gandhi, who poses as an Indian guru to satirize the New Age movement.

Lapsed Hindu and American filmmaker Vikram Gandhi poses as guru Sri Kumaré in a social experiment. He attracts a number of devotees, but unexpectedly finds that his followers receive genuine benefits from his deception.

Gandhi came up with the idea of a fictional guru while recording another documentary film about yogis and their followers.[2]

Gandhi transformed himself into "Sri Kumaré", an enlightened guru from a fictional village in India. He adopted a false Indian accent and grew out his hair and beard. In the documentary, Kumaré travels to Arizona to spread his made-up philosophy and gain sincere followers.[3][4]

Kumaré received fair reviews upon release. Many movie reviewers criticized Gandhi's deception as immoral, but had partial forgiveness for Gandhi for realizing that the experiment had grown out of his control. Many compared the project to Sacha Baron Cohen's Borat comedic documentary in which Cohen also posed as the title character.[6] Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times praised the film, with Ebert reporting that its message is "It doesn't matter if a religion's teachings are true. What matters is if you think they are."[7]

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 04:48PM

Actually I saw this yesterday.

I had a very nice TBM telling me that its the people and not the Gospel bit.

I then suggested he read up on real history, and other facts before he professed truth. He then said, "Well the church has put it all on its website".

I replied perhaps maybe 5% of the everything, and that it was watered down. I then recommended he think about it for a bit, and if he was not willing to go down that rabbit hole. That it was best he just stick with what he believed to keep all things even.

He then smiled and said he liked the sound of that, and said he would stick with status guo. I guess some people never want to ripple the water.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 09:17AM

It can't be saved in the end. Because... it is FALSE. Like the religions of Aphrodite, Zeus, Jupiter, Zoroaster, etc. it will eventually be shelved as a "myth" that ignorant people of the 21st century practiced 500 years from now. All of today's religions will suffer the same fates.

HH =)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 11:02AM

Love the idea, but . . .

You think that is going to make Mormons give up the idea that they are the most special people on earth and that only they out of 108 Billion of God's children are going to the CK to be gods and goddesses? I pity the fool from the Gerontocracy that tries to convince them otherwise.

The Insurrection at the COB inspired by Bednar this time-- because no way is he giving up his turn as "god" of Mormonism--- will be something to make even the Proud Boys envious.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 11:18AM

The lunatic fringe of Mormonism already think Nelson is a fallen prophet. If he tried this, even with the Q15 singing backup, the membership that was left would just go shopping for a new prophet.

I'm sure at least one of the Q15 would break ranks and try for the job. The Bender suggestion above sounds about right.

>Ebert reporting that its message is "It doesn't matter if a religion's teachings are true. What matters is if you think they are."[7]

That is basically the message of the BoM Musical, with the addition that if the bogus beliefs cause people to live better, happier lives, then that is a good thing, however weird the beliefs. That's actually a rather flattering take-away about Mormonism, and "Elder Cunnigham"ism. I think many of us would take some exception to the claim that Mormonism helps people live better, happier lives.

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 06:06PM

Recently had this conversation with my Nevermo wife.

I think Mormonism could be a sustainable movement if the corporation would relinquish its fanatical control - i.e. if the faith became decentralized. Hear me out..

What if Mormonism was more like Judaism - a "big-tent" faith built primarily on a shared history and tradition but encompassing all convictions spanning secular/atheists to the extremist fringe. What if being Mormon didn't require an electronic record in SLC, but simply a connection to the early pioneers and missionaries? A culture rooted in the early American Mountain West sounds a lot more likely to retain than one that bars its members from eat pork (sorry, drinking alcohol). People can decide what type of Mormon they want to be without the possibility of excommunication.

Yes, the events of the Book of Mormon never happened. Neither did any of the events in the Torah.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 06:51PM

The "big tent" cultural approach is one option, and the doubling-down, ultra-controlling approach is another.

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 06:57PM

The Mormon Pioneers = Israelites
Utah = Israel
SLC = Jerusalem
Lamanites = Palestinians
Abraham = JS
Moses = BY
Reformed = JackMos
Conservative = Community of Christ
Orthodox = LDS
Haradim = Fundamentalists

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2023 07:00PM by levantlurker.

Posted by: One armed bandit to the square ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 06:22PM

Except there will be last days, it's inevitable. All of the following will happen at some stage:

* The extinction of the human race.
* The end of the world.
* The end of the universe.

The first one will probably happen this century. Maybe at the same time as the second one.

>LIFE IS JUST GONNA GO ON AS IT ALWAYS HAS UNTIL THE SUN BURNS ITSELF OUT IN A FEW BILLION YEARS. So DEAL WITH IT.

You contradict yourself. Humans will be gone by then and their last days will have already happened. The end of the human race could easily occur in your lifetime. Not only have we natural disasters to watch out for but manmade ones too.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 06:56PM

My personal opinion is that when you die, and cross over to the other side, the truth is impossible to conceal. For better or worse, you know how things stood with others during your lifetime. If, knowing the truth about Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, etc., would the Mormon faithful stay the course or revolt? I think that many or most would stay the course -- due to human nature. Many people would rather follow terrible people rather than no one at all.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 11:53PM

From what?

Itself?

(Call)
Jesus

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 12:30AM

The Mormon church is dying. What made it work in the past is what is destroying it today.

Where the Mormon church is succeeding is in its money making endeavors, which is why it won't disappear for a long time. Maybe its future is in televangelism, just preaching and raising money.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 08:19PM

Same way you "save" a horse with a broken leg.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.