Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 01:41PM

From my "unceremoniously aged out of YSA" single adults branch from years back.

Translation: not enough male priesthood holders.

"We wrote to you last week that some changes would be coming to the branch on Sunday, and now that sacrament meeting has passed, we wanted to let you know what those changes were.

The XXXXXXXXXXX Single Adult Branch has been discontinued. Records for all members have been sent to their geographic wards, and everyone can attend those wards next Sunday.

In considering this change, one of the primary things on leaders’ minds were service opportunities for branch members that would help them stretch and grow. There were concerns that the branch did not offer enough of them and members were limited. The hope is that as you join your geographic wards, members will have a chance to serve in a wider variety of callings, giving you the chance to meet more people, stretch your abilities, and develop more talents through church service.

This was not an easy decision. The branch presidency has loved the time we spent with the members. We have seen your kindness, your spiritual growth, your dedication to the Savior, your care for each other, and many other attributes over the years. We will miss seeing you every week, learning from you, and hearing about your challenges and accomplishments. We look forward to staying in touch with you and seeing you at future activities, including temple service.

Thank you again for all your service as part of the branch and for the time you gave that allowed us to get to know and love you.

The Branch Presidency"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 01:55PM

LOL. Yeah, sure Jan, there weren't enough "opportunities" in the singles ward. Yeah, that's the ticket.

They must have been desperate, because this means Mormon singles won't have ready access to a pool of other Mormon singles to date. We all know what evil things happen if they mingle with single nonmembers! There are not going to be great dating choices in their home wards of grey haired majorities.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 10:23PM

As an actual Jan, I find that reference as offensive as being a Karen. Just saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2023 10:24PM by shortbobgirl.

Date: January 09, 2023 10:57PM

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. My daughter, sister and grandson also have names that have become part of the lexicon in negative ways but they joke about it.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: January 11, 2023 06:34PM

I lost my ability to find it funny watching the Brady Bunch. It was just so mean.

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 02:14PM

My heart aches a bit for those members who remained active to the end.

They will undoubtedly be made to feel that they (not the leadership) failed to sustain the branch and grow it into a proper ward. If only we had done a better job of reaching out to inactives! This is on top of the failure they've already been made to feel for not having found their eternity partners while in the YSA.

They were in a sense LDS outcasts - larger minority representation and many I believe were closeted. I hope they take this opportunity to seek out more fulfilling social structures as opposed the soul sucking pews of the family wards.

Date: January 09, 2023 02:18PM

Good points.
The people who deserve it the least will be made to feel guilty.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 09, 2023 04:35PM

the appropriate people in their new wards will reach into their garments to help these poor folk stretch and grow...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 12, 2023 12:17PM

I do morning stretches without motivation or help from ChurchCo members, but they're a lot more fun with my bed-buddy...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.