Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Missourirockslide ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 09:18PM

Byu claims the wow is a cure for diabetes. I feel like ing a hot dog after reading that report.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 09:39PM

BYU does that? Do you have a reference?

What is the report you mention?

What does ceramide have to do with it?

Posted by: ExmoDaveinTX ( )
Date: February 02, 2023 05:28PM

Ceramides are used in skincare products. And as Nightingale said, what the hell has the WOW got to do with diabetes and skincare???

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: February 02, 2023 06:16PM

Well I don't know, but........

If you take a dose of visionary stories, combine a heathy measure of gold plates, and write an epic yarn.

You can find a way to interconnect ceramide, diabetes, and skincare into a visionary faith promoting epic yarn using a wow theme to keep things mixed together.

People will believe it, and Walla, consistent streams of money flowing into your bank account.

Date: February 02, 2023 06:21PM

Silence is Golden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...consistent
> streams of money flowing into your bank account.

I would hope the relevant authorities would swoop in PDQ if anybody's hawking quack cures for serious medical conditions such as diabetes.

People need their daily checks, prescribed meds and other regular measures as per instructions received from qualified MDs to be as healthy as possible while living with diabetes.

Even one day of messing around with Rx's, such as skipping them or adding non-prescribed products, could be catastrophic for some people who have diabetes.

I cannot believe BYU would be involved in this, unless we're given some concrete proof from a trustworthy source.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: February 02, 2023 06:43PM

I was being sarcastic in implying that if people will believe the yarn that JS put together, then they will believe stories like this Ceramide one.

Date: February 02, 2023 06:17PM

Yeah, it's screaming scam to me. I can't believe BYU would get involved in fake cures for chronic illness. (Is that naïve of me?)

I'm laughing at myself for the unintentional cadence in my first post above. It sounds like the temple ceremony:

Who goes there?
What is it?
Has it a name?

(Or whatever they say - I've forgotten now, thankfully).

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 02, 2023 06:21PM

OPie didn't provide any evidence. We're discussing stuff with absolutely no foundation.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 02, 2023 06:37PM

So, it's a new religion?

Date: February 02, 2023 06:51PM

It might be a new troll.

Or an old one.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 02, 2023 06:53PM

Elevated ceramide levels appear to play a role in insulin resistance and lipid metabolism increasing risk of Type 2 DM.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7564167/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1056872720305122

https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/postings/2022/04/diabetes-ceramides.php

The only connection my brief search can find to BYU is this brief youtube video which doesn't really add much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvNNOpMKclo

Date: February 02, 2023 06:51PM

Missourirockslide Wrote:
> Byu claims the wow is a cure for diabetes. I feel
> like ing a hot dog after reading that report.

OK, so I figured it out - I think. But that was a lot of work to try and comprehend one brief post.

The connection of ceramide and "the wow" wasn't clear. And from a few quick Mormon sources I've skimmed nobody is saying that ceramide is a treatment for diabetes or is connected with the Mormon Word of Wisdom.

It's a stretch, iow.

Ceramide is a lipid (fat) in the skin cells of the human body. It's also an ingredient in some skin care products, apparently. I hadn't heard of that. Why would I - just so not interested, unless it's a product I'm interested in using.

Here's a brief write-up and video about BYU research into the "obesity epidemic in the Western World":

https://lifesciences.byu.edu/research-shows-how-poor-diet-slows-down-metabolism

"BYU biologist Benjamin Bikman says a tiny lipid called ceramide is at the root of this pathway that disrupts our metabolism and leads to obesity."

A church site outlines the WoW, saying, in part:

"Prophets have taught that we should also follow healthy practices such as nutritious eating, regular exercise, proper hygiene, and getting sufficient rest."

Wow - what a revelation! Except that most doctors and other allied practitioners also recommend these measures to patients and clients. So it's not exclusively a Mormon thing. More like just plain common sense.

The only connection I can see between the OP sub line, "the wow" and the sparse content of the post is that some of the measures mentioned in the WoW can possibly aid in preventing or delaying development of Type 2 diabetes. For people with Type 1 diabetes that train has left the station already.

Plus, one biologist (that I see so far and I'm not continuing to look) mentions ceramide as a substance that leads to obesity. Obesity is known to be a contributor to development and/or worsening of diabetes.

That's a lot of moving pieces to try and put together to comprehend the OP. Now my head hurts. Literally.

That was too much work to puzzle out.

But - to say that BYU is claiming that the WoW is a "cure for diabetes" - still there is no obvious source for that statement.

Date: February 02, 2023 07:10PM

"Prophets have taught that we should also follow healthy practices such as nutritious eating, regular exercise, proper hygiene, and getting sufficient rest."

I'd love to see that documented, having personally never heard any LDS prophet advocate regular exercise, proper hygiene or--irony--getting sufficient rest. Nor have I ever heard an LDS leader speak about nutrition.

And in any case, none of those principles is an enforced part of the WoW. Can you imagine a bishop saying, "never mind the wine, are you getting enough exercise? Do you regularly brush your teeth?"

Date: February 02, 2023 07:25PM

Fortunately for me, my life and my mental health, I haven't heard all that many speeches by prophets.

What I can attest to, though, is that bishops or other local leaders or regular folks from the ward who gave talks of one description or another, never mentioned exercise or nutrition or ever taking a Sunday off to enjoy 'a day of rest'.

So maybe these guys at BYU and on random web sites and videos here and there live in an alternate universe.

Which is what I thought when members praised the wonderful Conference talks etc because I've heard more inspiring words spoken in nearly every possible venue in life, including supermarket openings. Sorry, Mormons.

Date: February 02, 2023 07:10PM

*curses*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2023 07:10PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: February 02, 2023 07:20PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> *curses*

Not mentioned in the WoW either. :P

Date: February 02, 2023 07:22PM

I know, dammit!

(I would have used the "f" word but that would be encroaching upon summer's terrain."

Date: February 02, 2023 07:26PM

Yes, for sure. summer owns it now.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 02, 2023 08:20PM

The thing about Summer is that you know that she's going to get you into a bar fight ... but she's also going to get you out of that bar fight!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 03, 2023 10:54PM

I feel like it should rhyme with Jeremiad.

Date: February 03, 2023 11:28PM

I lament that it does not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.