Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 12, 2023 10:31AM

LOL. Good one.

Seriously, they planned a Fireside during the Super Bowl? You can't make this stuff up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 12, 2023 03:34PM

I wrote this six years ago about Mormons and the Super Bowl. My dad was a big football fan and always watched TV on Sundays.

-And this was considered to be the grandest idea; Get the VCRs warmed up to record it. This is what was preached from the pulpit and most appeared to comply with it. Some of my friends wouldn't watch the Super Bowl until Tuesday night! Well, Monday was a no go due to FHE.

My folks had no problems with TV on Sundays. Dad usually fell asleep with the Ensign in hand in the afternoon, but would wake up in time for kick-off. We had some ultra-pious HT show up one year during Super Bowl and Dad told him at the door that he could offer a prayer, but wasn't coming inside to mess with his game!

I always thought that it was very cool for Dad telling that guy off.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 12, 2023 03:53PM

My dad loved to watch football on Sundays as well. This was in the days of black-and-white TVs with 13 channels (not all of them functional,) and rabbit ears. He would very patiently explain the basics of the game to me.

What he didn't mention is that, as a young man, he had played semi-pro football in the days before the NFL was formed. My brother has his team picture. They were all wearing leather helmets.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 12, 2023 04:03PM

Wow, summer, that's history. Too bad you don't have his helmet!

Those times with parents are precious, even more so when they're gone and it's all just a memory. I often think of things my parents taught me or said or did with us kids and wonder what they'd think about the details that are strongest in our memories. One special comment they made or gesture or kind and/or wise word. I bet they'd be surprised what we recall with the most fondness. Usually a small detail that likely they didn't plan and wouldn't think would become a lasting memory.

My parents were into English football more so than the North American kind so that's what we watched together. Bonding times.

Date: February 12, 2023 04:48PM

I love the English Premier League. I watch the games on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and sometimes on weekday afternoons when I come home from work. One thing I like about the games is that they only last for two hours. Perfect!

Tonight my first priority will be to watch PBS (public television.) They are showing the last episode for the season of "Miss Scarlett and the Duke" along with "All Creatures Great and Small." After that, I may tune into the Super Bowl for a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2023 04:48PM by summer.

Date: February 13, 2023 06:56PM

I watch All Creatures too. Love the books.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 12, 2023 04:48PM

And five (count them) five experts to explain what we can expect or saw in the less than 15 minutes of actual ball movement, And what's with the pretentious LV11? The really big game is tomorrow. Liverpool versus Everton. lol

Date: February 12, 2023 04:51PM

Oh, yeah -- the Merseyside Derby is a big one. I am shocked that Everton is currently sitting in the bottom three. The entire results table this season is bonkers. And then there is Arsenal vs. Man City on Wednesday.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 12:46AM

Liverpool are having their struggles right now. As I see it an inability to score goals. Expected with so many goal scorers out injured. MC will beat Arsenal and go too I think.

Date: February 13, 2023 06:56PM

M.Salah seemed in fine form today. I loved the warmth of the Liverpool fans. They cheered on *every* possession and were audibly horrified whenever Everton got the ball. Just great reactions, and so supportive of their side. The players had to have loved it.

MC seems to be on a roll of late. I think it's fun that Arsenal has been on top, but it may not last.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2023 06:57PM by summer.

Date: February 13, 2023 06:57PM

Kentish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> an inability to score goals

A definite handicap when it comes to winning games. :P

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 03:55PM

Mormonism's product is trials of faith. Like those warrior races but more expensive and soul crushing.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 06:40PM

Elder Joseph Wirthlin was a hard hitting running back for the University of Utah Run'n (Lamanites) Utes back in his day.

I can't find the exact quote but it seems to me that his grandson told of how his famous grandfather loved to watch football on TV so I'm wondering how the apostle handled the conflict of Sunday NFL Football? More fun details here on Mormon Stories Podcast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVsJfvlCSF4

The following story about Wirthlin on the two inch line just short of a game winning touchdown has me tossing my helmet onto the ground of credibility?

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/new-era/2013/07/honesty-and-integrity?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2023 06:58PM by cricket.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 06:50PM

TV was NEVER banned at our house while I was growing up. My dad worked hard teaching Ag. Mechanics in high school and farming. When he got home, he watched TV and on Sundays, he and my brothers watched football. He'd skip church to watch TV all the time. I remember him lying on the couch watching Bonanza when we'd leave for church when it was at 7 p.m.

I learned to like football because my parents argued about him watching football all the time and I decided I'd learn to like football so if my husband liked it, then I'd watch it with him. Guess what? He could care less about sports of any kind and my boyfriend didn't really like it much either. I love football. I didn't watch the superbowl though.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 07:10PM

This is nothing new. In Winter of 1990 I had just graduated from BYU the previous August. Super Bowl Sunday comes along: 49ers vs Denver. So we are sitting in AM church, I think we were having a combined Relief Society/Elders Quorum meeting. This guy in the ward stands up, and he was a pompous ass, and announced that evening, Super Bowl Sunday evening, the 49ers playing evening, there would be a fireside that evening. And then he sputters crap like, "We will know who loves the Lord." Well I did what everyone else did, I watched the 49ers drub Denver. For one Sabbath evening, all was right in the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2023 07:11PM by tensolator.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.