Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 03:31AM

Russ likes to swing for the fences so I think he will announce 21 temples this conference. I think they will announce a temple to be built in Florida since it's such a go to place right now. Another Middle East temple will be announced. Possibly several African temples.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 04:46AM

Real estate prices are dropping, interest rates rising.

Maybe 12 temples announced but none come to fruition.

Date: March 08, 2023 08:15AM

I thought about that but Russ likes big announcements. Announcing doesn’t mean building.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 06:43AM

I predict:

Taylorsville East
East and West Wendover
Winnemucca

Or maybe they could put them in places rich Mormons go on vacation. Rome was a grand coup. How about Jackson Hole, Puerto Vallarta, or Bali?

Date: March 08, 2023 06:48AM

I think they would run into a lot of opposition in Jackson Hole. It’s where I live. Teton County is a Democrat County and we are a tax dodge for the rich. People are very anal about not spoiling the natural beauty here that a Mormon temple would not be very welcome.

Posted by: dwindler ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 09:24AM

MY money is on Rusty announcing 13 new shell companies

Date: March 08, 2023 09:46AM

Ha! Ha!

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 11:21AM

Rubicon, you are so lucky to live in Jackson Hole! My favorite place on the planet.

I'm betting that they will announce 12 more temples to be built and at least 1/2 of them will be in the Salt Lake Valley, cause we just don't have enough of them here in Mordor.

Date: March 08, 2023 01:34PM

We like it. Enough people live here you no longer have to run to Idaho Falls for stuff. Driving those passes in the wintertime can be scary.

I think Jackson would rival Aspen if we had a better airport. Landing here in bad weather is white knuckling. Aspen has a better approach to the runway, a ton of tarmac and the resort is right there at the airport.

It' been great skiing this year.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 11:36AM

I'm still rooting for Bakersfield, Barstow, and Oxnard. :-) :-) :-)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 12:03PM

I'm still grumbling about the temple scammery going on.

It's probably a relief to the church that they already established entrance is not for the public. That way, no one has a clue that the temples mostly sit empty as an excuse for the church to be meddling in town economics and development.

I'm beginning to wonder if the stock investments and shell company piece of the church wealth pales in comparison to their influence and wealth from real estate development. I'm pissed that religion gets away with that level of influence over directing and hoarding investment property development. They give business to their tithe payers like some kind of money loop.

I remember having a conversation with some people in Pocatello a while back. We were discussing why Idaho Falls was getting all the businesses and growing faster when Pocatello had a university. I was told it is related to Mormon temple development. I see how that works now that Pocatello got a new temple.

It used to be that a church or preacher would move to a town, struggling to get even a smallest building. With the Mormons, it is the opposite. They decide where to move and everyone has to accommodate them or get squeezed out.

Date: March 11, 2023 10:14AM

Pocatello’s economy was the Union Pacific railroad. It was in its hey day a fairly sophisticated place. That’s why the university is there. When the railroad jobs and passenger traffic disappeared nothing really replaced it. The biggest employer in Pocatello is the university.

Idaho Falls is more tied to the Department of Energy and US Navy. There’s more high paying jobs there. It’s also tied in with the Jackson Hole economy and the huge Yellowstone and Grand Teton tourist draw.

As much as the church members would like to think it does, having a temple in your city has little affect on the economy. It might bring some people to town who will eat out and maybe spoon some shopping but the more temples the less the draw.

Date: March 11, 2023 12:57PM

True, but the development of the area around the Pocatello temple and new big chain restaurants don't seem to be all coincidence. We were losing big restaurants (even before the pandemic) but now they are coming with no other big employers added. Those are the more Mormonish areas in Pocatello.

I do agree with you though. The railroad area seems busy and there are a lot of DOE people here. It definitely has a blue collar feel which seems in contrast with the more liberal university area. I have a house in both Idaho Falls and Pocatello so I spend considerable time in both places. IF is much nicer but feels more Mormonish, at least in the foothills where I raised my kids as heathens. I don't think Poc will ever catch up economically to IF at this point, but the temple has created a desirable Mormon development area.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 12:13PM

is there a temple or McTemple in Palm Springs Cali? perhaps being close to where Bob Hope & other celebs hang out would add some luster..

I don't forsee one across the street from Mar a Lago however...

eta: I see they’ve announced a temple for Tacoma, WA., which is a distance of 59 km. from the ‘Seattle’ temple (which is actually in Bellevue)says ~ 49 minutes away;

Sheesh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2023 12:48PM by GNPE.

Date: March 11, 2023 10:19AM

What’s across the street from Mara Largo is the Mara Largo beach club. I went to a car show at Mara Largo once. Saw some very nice cars.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 11, 2023 12:35AM

Maybe Wendy will finally get one for Raymond, Alberta to be built on wherelse..TEMPLE HILL
.. She would be referred to as Saint Wendy thereafter!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2023 12:36AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 11, 2023 01:05AM

From the LDS church growth blog:

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Spanish Fork, Utah
Charlotte, North Carolina
Angeles or Olongapo, Philippines
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Kampala, Uganda
Iquitos, Peru
São José, Brazil
Viña del Mar, Chile
João Pessoa, Brazil

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 12, 2023 06:42PM

> Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Help me here. I'm trying to envision a statue of Moroni atop a yurt.

Date: March 12, 2023 07:06PM

They've designed a special statue of Moroni sitting on a yak for the yurts.

Date: March 12, 2023 07:21PM

Mongolia is an unforgettable place. There are fish in Lake Baikal that swim so deep that when fisherman and netters bring them to the surface, the external pressure is inadequate to hold their bodies together and they disintegrate into puddles of oil with which you can fill your lantern on cold winter nights.

Not far away is the holy mountain (really a bunch of big hills, but on the steppe everything's a mountain) at which God told Chinggis Khan to conquer the whole world. Thanks, God. Anyway the local Mongol and Turkic tribes write their prayers on strips of paper or cloth that they roll up and then tie to trees where they're accessible to the heavenly spirits. The same thing happens at Shinto temples in Japan--always paper there--although the Japanese take the prayers down before the weather turns them into muddy clumps as happens in Mongolia.

Fun times. But when it comes to the kumis (fermented mare's milk), I'd recommend a hard pass.

Date: March 12, 2023 08:28PM

Fascinating!

I recently had Mongolia on my mind listening to a podcast about Marco Polo. What an interesting place with quite the history involving your pal Chinggis Khan! I'm sure JS will become just as famous there with statues side by side.

Maybe the external pressure will be inadequate to hold temple yurts together.

Date: March 12, 2023 08:32PM

My pal Chinggis Khan had a change of heart years ago and presently calls himself Jesus.

You'll be glad to know that he rarely kills people nowadays.

Date: March 13, 2023 11:15PM

My former family doctor and his nurse wife did a medical mission there providing health care to mishies.

Date: March 14, 2023 01:03AM

It’s hard to imagine a place more different from Mormonism. I hope the church sent a dentist too.

Date: March 15, 2023 09:48PM

Possibly...hehe

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: March 11, 2023 02:02AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... I think they will announce a temple to be built in Florida since it's such a go to place right now. >

Florida is where Mormonism Goes To Die

Date: March 11, 2023 12:19PM

many if not most people familiar with Mormonism are Bored Stupid bc it's the same rubbish arriving at their doorstep but in different color packages weekly, monthly, every year like clockwork...

if they were in the least bit wise they'd make significant changes to put some pep into the formula

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: March 11, 2023 12:44PM

It’s April Fools day all announcements can be considered a joke.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 11, 2023 12:57PM

Providence, Utah
River Heights, Utah
Nibley, Utah
College Ward, Utah
Young Ward, Utah
Mendon, Utah
Wellsville, Utah
Hyrum, Utah

They build them so close together now, why not? Then Perry, Utah, Willard, Utah, and every community from Idaho to Arizona?

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: March 12, 2023 03:07PM

cl2 Wrote:
> Providence, Utah
> River Heights, Utah
> Nibley, Utah
> College Ward, Utah
> Young Ward, Utah
> Mendon, Utah
> Wellsville, Utah
> Hyrum, Utah
>
> They build them so close together now, why not?
> Then Perry, Utah, Willard, Utah, and every
> community from Idaho to Arizona?

Close together, except in poverty stricken countries. Why you ask? Lack of faith, lack of cash? No! If more temples are built in 3rd World lands, we won't hear faith promoting stories. Juan Valdez worked his life away for Folgers picking coffee beans. Saving every 10th silver coin, above and beyond tithing, to attend his assigned temple which was a two week bus ride away.

The day after Juan retired he took his savings, which he could have invested in Folgers, or Coca Cola and had a real retirement, his lovely wife Esparanza (wives are always lovely), and six children, plus the children's spouses, went on a spiritual building excursion of a lifetime. Too many temples make those stories cheap!

Date: March 12, 2023 05:23PM

Brazil is getting pretty heavily populated with temples. I continue to be surprised how well Mormonism is doing there. It's probably because I was such a spiritual giant, creating a firm foundation, back in the day.

:)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 11, 2023 01:48PM

East Bench Temple?

I bet it would be impressive and it would have a cover charge.

Date: March 11, 2023 01:58PM

temples serve these purposes

Provide contractors, suppliers, & employees something to stay busy

Relieve tedium of day-to-day operations of their religious franchise

Give the donors - sheeple visual proof/ evidence of their claimed benevolence

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2023 02:15PM by GNPE.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 12, 2023 02:36PM

Since the Salt Lake temple is under renovation I think they will announce a temple close to Salt Lake. My guess is Murray, UT.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: March 12, 2023 02:54PM

Rexburg will have two. Number two will be directly across the street from Super Wal-Mart. What a missionary opportunity. So much a for a candle on a hill.

Date: March 12, 2023 05:39PM

I think it's obvious that ID, UT, & AZ are pretty well saturated, So is Washington.

If it's accurate that California is loosing population ???

I know next to nothing about the other Western states, OR, WY, CO, MT.HI or AK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2023 05:40PM by GNPE.

Date: March 12, 2023 06:57PM

California lost 0.9 percent in 2021 and 0.29 percent in 2022, and those are the only two years in which California lost population.

So yes, it has been losing population, but just barely. I expect it will break even in 2023.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: March 14, 2023 12:22AM

Mount St. Helens (crater)
Salt Lake (in the lake)
In the Nevada desert
In hell or high water
Temple on the high sea
Drive Through temple
Temples through the trees
Temple life
Nudist temples
Temple ton

Date: March 14, 2023 12:54AM

Has anyone printed & sold Temple trading Cards?

Shhh! Apparently I though of it First!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2023 12:55AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 03:16PM

I still like Robert Kirby's idea of temple shot glasses. If someone starts making them, let us know. I'll get my wife one for each temple she has attended.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 04:02PM

Posted by: I ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 10:24PM

elderolddog Wrote:
>   
>   

I second that! I'll have a drink ;)

How about tokens? I'll have a toke :)

ADD: the twelve numbers on the dice can correspond to the twelve apostates.

Extra points for the 3 sides pyramid dice for the three oldest bald minute men and the wheel.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 07:07PM

From the business perspective have temples become the Mormon loss leader?

Date: March 15, 2023 09:45PM

I don't think so. I think they see it as their main tool for keeping sheeple in the church. I find that hard to believe, but I am confident they have some top notch demographers on the payroll who have convinced them that a neighborhood temple keeps more members committed to participating in the Mormon Church.

They have also been peppering the countryside with temples long enough to have data to support or refute their belief that temples are a net positive for keeping members involved.

Temples are also a billboard advertising the church to whatever community they are in but I see that as a secondary benefit. A temple in Payson, UT, is not going to make anyone curious about investigating Mormonism. Everybody there is well aware of Mormonism, and most of them already are Mormons. A Payson temple is there to keep the Mormons committed.

Date: March 15, 2023 10:34PM

I suspect you are right about research showing how to slow the exodus. It would be interesting to see if the line is strictly linear or changes slope as you increase the number of temples indefinitely.

There's also the real estate hedge. If you hold an asset for several decades, the value of the buildings goes to zero and you are left with what is essentially a bet on the regional economy. And if you have such properties spread out across a country, you have a more or less pure bet on the national economy and its future GDP growth.

It's not a bad financial strategy: paying a hedged price to prolong the cash flow.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.