Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 11:30AM

From the Mormon perspective you do all the church stuff to become a God. That’s the whole point. If you just want to have an enjoyable afterlife in a place way better than here then it’s pretty much just being born and coasting through life. If you want a better afterlife then you are going to have to be a better person but you need no church to get there.

If you want to be a God you then need the LDS Church and you need to do all the stuff they tell you to do. That’s the gig. Of course the majority of people on earth don’t want this gig.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 01:35PM

Yea, I have always wondered about the God bit. I mean in this life if you get caught beating your kids or worse yet, just killing them. You go to prison, and people gasp and point fingers and say "how could you". Plus your kids don't like you.

But as a god you get to say you love and care about your kids. But at the same you time beat them and torment them by testing their faith (Job as an example). And if they really tick you off you can just strike them dead, have a whale swallow them, or just have your other kids stone them. Also as a god, if I like you more than your brother, you get to spiritually marry your brothers wife. And of course if you are a daughter, you have little value to me unless you bow down to the whim of your brothers. And in the end you get the praise of all your kids for this behavior.

To me its the controlling\punitive\angry type person who wants to be a god. Because any rational person would know there is something wrong with this picture.

So maybe its more of a "I want to be a high achiever jerk type religion".

Date: March 16, 2023 06:13AM

Yeah but remember God placed Adam in a paradise. It was when Adam fell that the world became a harsh place. Life is a bitch because Adam and Eve disobeyed God.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 16, 2023 11:34PM

Then they have the nerve to say man will not be punished for Adam's transgression.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 02:07PM

The term higher achiever rings of "over achiever" which is generally a negative slur. However, at it's core---the higher achiever who could become a god is not such a bad thing. Well, my own personal interpretation anyway.

As a kid when this idea was rampant in Mormonism I never took it to mean that if you "killed it" in this life, that you would immediately upon entering the CK have a "Presto! Chang-O!" moment and instantly become the latest God.

But I was enthralled with the idea of Eternal Progression and the idea that you never stopped learning, exploring, expanding until you reached a level of Godliness at least, and, could perhaps contribute to the next Creation.

I used to hold clear colored marbles up to beams coming in through the basement window of my room and imagine all kinds of things I would do in other worlds. Mostly I designed flowers and animals.

Because of all of this Mormonism sparked much in my imagination and fed my creativity. Which means that much of all of this is what each individual brings to the party. You get out of it what you put in. Even with Mormonism.

All these years later I don't want to be a God. I don't want a CK. But I do like the idea of perpetual knowledge if we must live on. Eternally never knowing anything for sure seems like the ultimate way to be a God.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 03:10PM

One of the tropes in Sci/Fi is the AI, who somehow bonds with the story's main character and then helps the main character triumph in the end.

The AI may be overmatched in conflict due to a lack of resources but is never overmatched in terms of pure knowledge.

It's a possibility that mormons see Holy McGhost in that role, which along with the belief that "...ghawd will never tempt you beyond your ability to resist..." may create the notion that listening to your 'still, small voice' makes you 'invulnerable' so any action taken under this guidance is always justified.

So if I, a 40-year-old bishop, want to cut the balls off the young man loved by the young woman on whom I am fixated, I am perfectly justified in doing so.  ...Not to mention cutting you off in traffic...

High achievers need to prove their status; humility and meekness are not how that is done.

(I've always admired this→)  Or so it seems to me.

Date: March 16, 2023 06:17AM

One sure way to shut Mormons up is tell them you don’t want to be a God. That’s the big goal in their world. No need running on their program if you don’t want the big reward.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 16, 2023 11:11PM

We are all God's Little Urban Achievers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VecinjfP8Bk

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.