Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 11:48AM

Hi, so I have been thinking why is the lds church still collecting tithing money when they don’t need to money anymore?
Tithing in the New Testament Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42, Luke 18:12 and Hebrews 7:2-9.

Tithing was implemented in the lds church on July 8th 1838.
What is tithing for D&C 119

“For the building of mine house”
“The laying of the foundation of Zion”
“The priesthood”
“The debts of the presidency of my church”

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 17, 2023 11:57AM

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR7XYESk/

She explains is so well.

Date: March 17, 2023 12:48PM

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR7Xr4Po/

I have read somewhere that the apostles don’t even need to pay tithing. Sad about 10 years ago or so I thought that the lds church donates more money to charity than any other religion lol yes I truly believed that the lds church was the biggest charity in the entire world. Lol

Posted by: Out and about ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 01:01PM

It's a very simple answer: Insatiable Greed.

Adilt convert here..I only tithed to the poor directly. I cant imagine how hard it is to look back realizing you had so much taken for a mall to be built.

People's "testimony" of tithing is either:
A. A reflection of self fulfilling prophecy -believing at their core they deserve good for doing "good".

B. A natural outcome of having to be organized with your money because some aristocrats in ivory towers are bathing in gold with 10% of it.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 01:22PM

LDS Inc. doesn't need the money but understand that the members need to show obedience/loyalty to feel like they're receiving blessings from their sacrifice. How else will they develop a testimony? If a church member pays tithing and gets a job promotion, the church is true!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 04:30PM

I agree. I don't think it's about the money either. Tithing is the most significant way that the church controls its members. Tithing requires obedience and devotion like nothing else can.

Tithing also provides valuable information to leaders as to who is the most obedient and devoted. How will they know who to put in high callings if they can't see who faithfully pays and has the most money? Their inspiration and revelation needs a little help.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 01:41PM

>I have read somewhere that the apostles don’t even need to pay tithing.

You probably read that here. That does not mean that it is true.

However, it is irrelevant. They set their own salaries, so they could give themselves a 10% raise and then pay tithing on it,

Whether or not they pay tithing is not what determines how much money they have to live on. How much they pay themselves determines that.

If they decide that their salaries are set at a level that reflects tithing already being taken from their salaries [and I have no idea if they actually do that] then we really have no basis to argue with them. We have no way to decide what salary they "deserve" nor do we have any control over what salary they receive.

We do have some minor knowledge of how much they are paid, and it doesn't seem to be all that much for executives or board members of a multi-billion dollar corporation, which LDS Inc obviously is.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 02:02PM

"Whether or not they pay tithing is not what determines how much money they have to live on. How much they pay themselves determines that."

Even that doesn't do it. My understanding is that they essentially have an unlimited expense account where the church pays all of their bills. In a situation like that, they don't even need a salary, and the amount they pay themselves borders on irrelevant.

Date: March 17, 2023 05:30PM

My thinking is "same rules for everyone". But that is not the case two people can have sex one gets excommunicated for it and the other might not be allowed to take the sacrament for 6 weeks.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 02:34PM

http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/2010/12/lds-history-summary.html

This really is an interesting read, and I encourage all to partake.

And then following up via the footnoted citations creates a labyrinth of rabbit holes!

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 05:11PM

It just shows that over the history of the church, tithing has been a onerous requirement of the members. And the majority of them have not agreed through action.

I still to this day cannot understand how any kind of supreme being that created the Universe, just cannot get along without money. Its Robin Hood in reverse.

At least society as a whole is beginning to climb out of the hole of religious superstitions and it burdensome rules.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 08:07PM

The church will never give up the tithing requirement. It could, but it won't. The constant flow of funds is just too seductive.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 09:13PM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 18, 2023 11:43AM

If you're paying 10%, you're getting screwed.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: March 18, 2023 03:53AM

i once heard gordon hinckley in person say this to a group of us:

hinckley: "do you think jesus needs your money?"

me: **thinking** no, of course not. he can make money appear out of thin air if he wants to

hinckley: "let me ask you again. do you think jesus needs your money?"
hinckley: "yes, he does! he needs your money!"

there you go. case closed. the lds cult collects tithing because jesus needs your money

Date: March 18, 2023 10:14AM

The Roman Catholic church, and most mainstream Protestant churches have a different attitude about it. The Mormons seem to view tithing as what is owed to God. They see it as a measure of faith. But the other traditions see their donations as how you keep the church mortgage paid, and the lights and heat on, and how you pay your pastor, etc., and how you provide for missionary work.

Even with paying their priests, pastors, and other church workers (which takes up about half of any church's budget,) average members still pay far less than the Mormon 10%. They generally pay in a range of 1-3%.

Date: March 18, 2023 01:39PM

My dad was baptized catholic as a baby. In Germany there is something called “Kirchensteuer” and the Catholic Church takes a small amount of money out before you get your paycheck. So to prevent that from happening again my dad resigned from the Catholic Church to save Kirchensteuer. My mom is a TBM and pays tithing of course my dad does not believe in giving 10% to Mormonism. A little of topic.
https://www.dw.com/en/germanys-famed-church-tax-income-plummets-during-pandemic/a-55607327

Date: March 18, 2023 06:15PM

Right, I forgot about that -- a church tax. I think Sweden does that as well.

Date: March 20, 2023 03:29PM

Another tithing story. The "fire insurance" sometimes is not working.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR7wgsMo/

Date: March 21, 2023 02:10PM

https://youtu.be/qJKDkykXr8k

Nemo who is an active member once again made an amazing video.

"Paying tithing or eating" they should pay tithing. Their bishop can help them with food. Elder Bednar is one of my least favorite "general authorities".

Date: March 21, 2023 09:28PM

Double your tithing double your income.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRvds9gf/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.