Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 11:56AM

How did I not know this? Brigham Young had a son, Brigham Morris Young, who served as a missionary in Hawaii. He was also a founding leader of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association, later known as Young Men. He married one of Lorenzo Snow's daughters, Armeda Snow. BMY later performed across Utah in drag.

"In 1885, Young, his wife, and their children returned from serving his second mission in the Hawaiian Islands. Shortly after returning to Utah, Young began publicly performing as a cross-dressing singer under the pseudonym Madam Pattirini.[1][2][3] Young performed as Pattirini in north and central Utah venues from 1885 to the 1900s. He could produce a convincing falsetto, and many in the audience did not realize that Pattirini was Young. One of his performances as Madam Pattirini was for the last birthday celebration of LDS Church president Lorenzo Snow in April 1901.[4] He also once portrayed a "fine Irish girl" named Bridget McCarthy at a Christmas ball at the Salt Lake Theatre in 1886."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Morris_Young

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 12:07PM

LOL.

You'd think the people who are looking for "others" to demonize would check their own house first. But no. They fall into the hypocrite trap every time.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 12:32PM

Amazing what is happening in TN, yet not unexpected:

"NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WSMV) – A Republican lawmaker is calling for the resignation of Tennessee Lt. Gov. Randy McNally after the 79-year-old’s social media activity has come under scrutiny.

State Rep. Todd Warner has accused McNally of “sexually grooming” a 17-year-old minor by commenting “relentlessly” on “nude photos” from his official social media account, sending private messages, calling the victim multiple occasions, and even offering him a job in Gov. Bill Lee’s office, according to a statement obtained by WSMV4."

McNally has voiced strong anti-LGBTQ rhetoric and has voted on anti-LGBTQ legislation consistently. Then a enterprising reporter discovered this idiot having an online gay relationship. This seems to be a consistent pattern from the most vocal religious and political leaders - those who speak out the most are the most repressed.

Date: March 19, 2023 12:46PM

>This seems to be a consistent pattern from the most vocal religious and political leaders - those who speak out the most are the most repressed.

That rings true. The first thing I think now when someone "doth protest too much" is that they have some kind of self loathing or secret life. I hope more reporters are hip to this to expose the hypocrisy.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 12:59PM

While religious repression is always a big deal, and harmful, I don't think we need it to explain this particular case.

BY had 55 wives who produced 46 children who reached adulthood. That means that 4-10 of his kids would mathematically have been gay. Perhaps BMY was just uniquely willing to go public.

Perhaps he should be remembered as one of the strongest, most courageous of the lot.

Date: March 19, 2023 02:23PM

B Morris Y himself didn't seem to be of the group criticizing drag queens. I don't see him as the hypocrite, just the culture that condemns them now.

He obviously was talented.

It seems like people were somewhat indifferent back then. That was before anything about the LGBTQ community was turned into a culture war for political purposes.

Date: March 19, 2023 03:43PM

Different indeed. More tolerant of some things.

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 03:18PM

Ah yes, this brings to mind the 2007 case of bi-curious Senator Larry "Wide Stance" Craig of Idaho.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Craig_scandal

[Also, I have to add that Ron DeSantis looked simply fabulous in those white Nancy Sinatra go-go boots.]

Date: March 19, 2023 04:44PM

Larry Craig was one of my favorite hypocrites! I think of him every time I walk past an airport bathroom.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 01:43PM

I wonder what his wife & children thought about this.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 01:47PM

And you had to know this would happen:

https://www.madampattirinigin.com/

Date: March 19, 2023 02:25PM

It made me confirm I am over 21 just to read that mini wiki-type article. Eye roll.

Date: March 19, 2023 03:43PM

Well? Are you?

Date: March 19, 2023 04:42PM

Of course I don't look it. I can understand the confusion.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 05:09PM

I nearly posted the link to the page after the age confirmation, but I was afraid the Utah alcohol police might install ransomware on your computers.

Seriously, I thought you should see how our legislature, which prides itself on being libertarian, goes complete nanny-state when alcohol is involved.

Remember the Zion Curtain that restaurants had to install at considerable expense, so that minor children in a restaurant would not be corrupted by being able to see drinks being poured?

Date: March 19, 2023 05:11PM

> Seriously, I thought you should see how our
> legislature, which prides itself on being
> libertarian, goes complete nanny-state when
> alcohol is involved.

It's not limited to alcohol, nor to Mormons. You've just described the modern conservative right.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 05:03PM

It occurred to me the other day that I don't recall people denying transgenderism back in the heyday of conservative thought. I grew up in the 80s, and being Mormon I was obviously surrounded by stalwart defenders of God's morality who spared no derogatory insults toward those who were different. It seems easy to acknowledge someone's existence as long as you can use it to make yourself feel smuggly superior. However, these days it's distasteful to be so overtly rude, so what can a child of God do? Deny reality, of course, and claim that transgenderism is made up. Because they're good at deceiving themselves in order to feel better.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 05:07PM

and thus, the first drag show was founded in the year of our lord 1885.

he lured kids by innocently reading books to them at the local library. and of course, the parents had to agree otherwise they were considered anti-mormon and thrown into the danites list. he consistently groomed kids to accompany him on his shows. by 1900 he had coined the word "groomer"

lovely

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.