Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 22, 2023 08:36PM

Growing up in the 1950s was the best growing up I ever did!

My first formal lesson regarding dancing came in grammar school, probably in 7th or 8th grade.  No explanation was given WHY we were being taught to dance; it was forced upon us in gym class. Instead of 'dressing for gym,' we were told to keep our clothes on and to gather in the gym with the girls, something that had never happened before in gym class.

And they proceeded to teach us the box step.  (I wonder what the teachers gossiped/speculated regarding their immature charges?)

First, we did it by ourselves, just standing there, then taking a right step forward, left foot forward, left foot sideways, right foot sideways towards the left foot...

The rest has faded from memory, but I recall that changing directions was also taught!!  It boggles the mind!

I cannot conceive of how the girls were expected to keep pace with the male's spastic herky-jerkings! But they did!  It probably has something to do with brassieres.  Someday maybe Gladys can explain it to me.

Learning the box step served me well all the way through high school, and Gold & Green balls until it was time to go on a mission.  The two-year no-dancing rule was no hardship for me.

After that, 99% of my dancing was 'fast dancing.' I was noted for stellar renditions of the Twist, the Mashed Potatoes, and the Bristol Stomp.  But boogie-woogie was totally beyond my abilities, though there were attempts to teach me.

None of my marriages involved a reception, much less a First Dance. I don't recall ever dancing with my first wife.  My second wife was an enthusiastic partier.  We had many a gathering at our house where I tried to combine dancing and molestation, which wasn't that hard given that "the bump" (and "the dirty bump"!) was (were) popular.

Here's a quick humiliating video of kids doing the bump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHqdZSNZ01k

The partiers were much more mature but surely a lot more salacious.

My most socially outgoing period followed my second divorce and lasted seven years.  A lot of socializing was done, but not much dancing.

There was only one dance event during the third marriage, a wedding extravaganza involving a relative of my wife's.  I had a lot of warning, so I had time to train for it and I got a lot of polite exclamations of awe and wonderment, but there were reports back to me that many thought me crude and vulgar.  So, success!

That last dance would have been around 1999, so I have not danced this century.

What stirs these ruminations is the word I've received of a granddaughter's upcoming wedding in Orem in July of this year.  Another granddaughter reported to me that it's going to be a really big deal, meaning a reception AND dancing!

I'm nervous...

When was the last time you danced?  Any stories to share?  No one will make fun of you!!  Well, I won't unless your first name is Gladys, and then it will likely only be to get even!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 22, 2023 08:39PM

I’m the old lady at raves!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 22, 2023 08:48PM

a "dancer." The last time I danced was at my boyfriend's son's wedding. My brother told me to make sure I had a few drinks under my belt and I'd feel a lot more comfortable, but I only had one drink under my belt, so I was self conscious.

We learned to dance in 6th grade. Our principal was a good dancer and he taught every 6th grade while he was the principal. I think we did some dancing in P.E. in either jr. high or high school.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2023 08:49PM by cl2.

Date: March 22, 2023 09:03PM

DANCE LIKE NO ONE’S WATCHING! Because they really aren’t. They’re too stressed about people making fun of them.

Date: March 23, 2023 11:09AM

where I'm not thinking that someone is watching, but you are correct. I'd never imagine anyone in my family would be good dancers, but my younger sister and brother are and they go dancing a lot--not together.

My parents danced a lot when they were young. My dad also sang solos or with his sister. You never think of your parents when they were young and what they did.

Date: March 24, 2023 01:15AM

I will dance with you!

Date: March 22, 2023 09:06PM

Man! I wish I were young enough to duck walk.

https://youtu.be/525MYwfMJnY

Date: March 22, 2023 09:08PM

Ballroom for you, eod!

https://youtu.be/zcf9Z9Ndlac

Date: March 22, 2023 09:29PM

Happy person dancing divinely to Mexican music!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc519cxPTqs

Date: March 22, 2023 11:08PM

That’s worse than a rick roll.

Imma find you some Leiomy Maldonado.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 22, 2023 11:25PM

The stylistic similarities are unmistakable, Jesus, but I find myself wondering whether you were the student or the teacher.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: March 22, 2023 09:35PM

When I last put on my pants.
It could have been the ants!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 22, 2023 09:48PM

Q: Do you know why Baptists are against sex?
A: It might lead to dancing!

https://i.imgflip.com/17il7o.jpg

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 01:12AM

Dancing hasn’t ever been my North Star, but about a year ago I was dating a gal ( didn’t go far) who appreciated going to dances so that was part of our social life.

It made me feel good to help her be happy - happier in life…

Posted by: Mad Alice ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 02:01AM

Last October in Amsterdam.
I was on a river boat cruise. A lot of widows on that boat.

Afterdinner I went to the lounge for a cocktail and some music.
There was a group of about 10 women traveling together. I could tell some of them wanted to dance, but there were no men. NOT to worry!!!
I asked them to all please dance with my. I was on vacation. We were on a beautiful boat under the stars and had a great piano and flute player.

It took some convincing, but eventually we all danced the night away. It was so much fun, Great memories, great friends. It was my 69th birthday.
For my 70th birthday I'm going to a Pink concert in Vegas. You can bet your ass I'll be dancing that night. I'll dance until I can't. It's a one time event for me, and I'm going to dance, and sing, and love every minute of it.

Date: March 23, 2023 02:25AM

You kids! You're all so wild!!

Date: March 24, 2023 01:17AM

I am afraid of being stuck on a bigass boat with strangers, but if you were there, I’d be honored to dance with you. When all else fails, I pogo really well.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 06:04AM

I was taught square dancing as a part of my elementary school P.E. class, and enjoyed it very much. I took ballroom dancing as an after school activity in middle school, where I learned the waltz, the foxtrot, and the polka. I can still hear that cheesy polka music in my head! I don't dance now because I broke my lower leg and ankle years ago, and it just doesn't feel stable enough to be hopping around.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 10:36AM

At the height of the disco era Studio One in West Hollywood was my haunt. But, the last time I danced was 1980ish at the Stardust Ballroom on Sunset. There was a live big band. A group of friends from work used to go there to dance ballroom. We were the only young ones. Orrin Tucker Orchestra I think. There was always a group of elegant women in their very late in life phase who were dressed to the nines sitting on tall chairs at pedestal tables with a cocktail and would dance with the few sharp gentlemen there--also in their late in life phase. It was a sight to drink in. I can't remember seeing that much class since. Long legs from slits in velvet at angles that no longer required any thought to end up that way.

We tried to match them and supposed were were, but looking back we were a bit too energetic and lacked the polish, the artistry that only comes with who they were.

But the Stardust was only like that for a few years and mostly ended up rented to roller skating parties and then caught on as a venue for Punk bands. Our little group wasn't ready to end it so that was sad. I still miss that ballroom.

Dancing--all kinds--has been one of the best parts of my life since I used to play dress ups with my cousin and she would hang around my neck while I spun around until we were both dizzy.

Sock Hops and Stomps at the courthouse. Folk Dance team at BYU which got me to Europe. First time at the Sun tavern with a guy. Whoa! And all the dances EOD mentioned. Those were the days.

I miss it all. A lot. Not enough to go to a Mormon Wedding, but still . . .

Please bring footage, EOD. We need to see the cutting of the rug.

Date: March 23, 2023 11:07AM

I've never been to one where they did and we certainly didn't dance at my wedding. P.S. My "husband" is a really bad dancer.

I danced at a Jewish wedding--the one I talk about above. Boy, they put on a great wedding. Three days of celebrations and grea food and an open bar.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 11:30AM

I still can't dance.

Date: March 24, 2023 01:20AM

Pfft. I can’t keep the beat when I’m dancing, so I bring my own drummer. You’re welcome to join.

Posted by: devoted ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 01:01PM

It's been too many years, but I learned formal dancing: foxtrot, waltz, etc. I used to dance every Saturday night at the Top Of The Mark in San Francisco. I miss that!

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 01:49PM

I bought the last seat - "partial view." There was a railing right in front of me and I was able to hold onto it while standing and shaking my ample booty. Helpful.

The audience never sat down for the whole 5 HOURS he played. Best concert I ever went to. 4 dedicated bass singers. 4 percussionists. You had to dance. Everyone on stage was dancing.

Saw Los Lobos recently and they were fabulous. Rhythms so much more sophisticated than in their early years. Would have danced, but currently handicapped. Also, it was a first date. Didn't want to scare him off.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 02:12PM

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 08:10PM

His wife is from another country and the wedding festivities lasted about 14 hrs. After drinking all day there was a traditional communal dance and no one cared or noticed we didn't know what we were doing. I remember people being so happy and free, so much different than kneeling in the celestial room with some old guy that smelled of farts lecturing on keeping covenants. The next day we all gathered at the brides house for singing as a new joined family. Very different than Mormon experience.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 08:29PM

At a dear friend's wedding. She asked me to dance so me and my cane hobbled around the dance floor with the beautiful bride. I had danced with my wife before she got sick.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 08:51PM

Well, I was doing the pee pee dance a few minutes ago but I went to the bathroom and no longer feel the need to dance.

Other than that, probably a couple months ago at home with my wife. We had Neil Young's "Harvest Moon" CD playing and when the song "Harvest Moon" came on, I grabbed her and we slow danced to it.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 11:31PM

I used to dance ballroom. I was pretty good at swing, but wanted to learn to tango.

I don't usually dance in public, unless you count the "small kitchen ballet" I sometimes perform when a cook comes in early. In private, it's usually small movements, ideally with my girlfriend.

Date: March 23, 2023 11:46PM

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share one of my favorite videos!

https://youtu.be/G5QG1GRDBZg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2023 11:48PM by Beth.

Date: March 23, 2023 11:42PM

This is a wonderful thread

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 24, 2023 03:09AM

I've never been a fan of dancing if you don't count square dance in the fourth grade.

I was chubby and shy until my sophomore year at university. I'd had a few dates with a socially impaired guy who wanted to marry me in my freshman year. Also, the Spanish department was absolutely nothing to brag about, and that was my major. A years-long friend had gone directly to UCLA, and she sent me application papers after I sent her a letter bitching bitterly about the misery of living with my alcoholic mother and the mediocre quality of the Spanish department at my school in San Diego.

I was accepted at UCLA and moved to the dorms, with my buddy. We took classes together and always competed for top rank in our Spanish classes.

I went to a few dances, because some of them were more or less mandatory in our social circle, and I even made a long, slinky formal dress (I'd lost weight) to attend a very special dance. The guy I was dating at the time had two left feet like I did, so we just laughed with our friends and had a good time.

Neither of my husbands cared for dancing,so DH and I are perfectly happy staying off the dance floor.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.