Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 02:42PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/12dk0c2/psa_want_to_quit_your_calling_dont_ask_to_be/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Back in the day when I was an active member it was near impossible to get out of a church calling. I had 3 small children and was stuck in the nursery for years. My husband was a Scoutmaster for over 5 years. I was so happy when I received my LDS resignation letter in the mail no more church callings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 02:47PM

https://youtu.be/gj2iGAifSNI

Take this calling and shove it.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 03:19PM

I always thought that if you didn't show up or do it then you would get the boot.

Or can you get a calling these days without attending church?

Heck, I might be the current bishop in my area :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 04:09PM

If you get fired, does it stay on your permanent record?

Well, I mean other than getting fired from the mission field...

Date: April 07, 2023 04:48PM

"If you get fired, does it stay on your permanent record?"

I am a female who never had important callings in the church that being said I have heard there is the "straightening member committee" and people can get annotations on their membership record.
My guess is there might be a bishop who would put it in a permanent record if someone gets fired from a calling.
Does anyone know? There are former bishops on this board who would know.

Date: April 07, 2023 05:03PM

The Strengthening Church Members Committee is a committee of general authorities of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) who monitor the publications of its members for possible criticism of general and local church leaders. If criticism is found, the committee may forward information to local church leaders, who may bring charges of apostasy, which can result in ex-communication.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strengthening_Church_Members_Committee

It is surmised among exmo brethren that those who do the actual monitoring are likely to be volunteer tattletales who have moved on from volunteering to stand up for the church in online debate. (debaterry? ☺)

I am impressed by the spirit to know, with all my being, that I have a steadfast and faithful member who volunteered to surveil my online activity, and I swear, I think I've heard him groaning.

Date: April 08, 2023 02:43PM

This committee is comprised of faithful Laurels.

Or at least it was, back in the day...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 09:18PM

It took you a while to come up with that, didn't it!

Date: April 08, 2023 09:34PM

I can't believe I missed the easy-sleazy response and initially took the high road!

It has me concerned~~

Date: April 08, 2023 09:46PM

Yes, I expected you to pick that low hanging fruit yesterday.

When you failed to do so, I surmised that you were out on the town or looking for your teeth, something like that.

Anyway, you’re back in good form—which is what really matters.

Date: April 08, 2023 10:12PM

Not gonna lie (too much) Gladys, but I'm really gonna be pissed if I'm starting to mature...

Date: April 08, 2023 10:30PM

You raise a fascinating question. Can the congenitally immature ever mature or are they destined to eternal life?

I trust you'll let me know when you get there.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 04:33PM

Years ago they called me to the Stake Genealogy Library. I was told that I would get a call from the head stake guy, and he would train me on the computers, and how to use the programs. I was given a key, told it was open for 3 hours on two nights a week. I was to be there to help people with their genealogy.

So the phone call never came, for about six weeks, twice a week I sat in this small closet type room with 3 or 4 computer towers, and racks of disks.

Nobody ever came. I played around with the programs, put in disks to see what was on them, and other stuff. Then one day I thought to myself, "screw this". I was also going to school at the time, and was giving up study hours.

So I locked the door and went home. Six months later I get called in by the bishop. He explains that recently someone complained that the library was not open. So I looked at him and told him that I had waited weeks for the call that never came, and weeks for the people that never came....so I just went home.

He did not have an answer, and then said he would correct those things and I could restart again. I just looked at him and said "no". I had homework to do and was working two jobs, my life was to busy to babysit people who may or may not show up. I then got up and excused myself. They released me that Sunday.

Never give them a choice!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 05:36PM

in b 4 ~

OPie should ever remember ~

that when the going gets tough ~

the tough quit ~

Posted by: Trailsend ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 12:45PM

No is a complete sentence...amazing how controlled members can become with the threat of losing mysterious blessings and not having your family in hebben...oh. The horrors...the look on the bishoprics face was priceless...you have to cuz we prayed about it...answer is still no...you found your way out here so find your way back...I should mention saying no was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done but so empowering to finally do...people only have the power over you that you give them

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 02:16PM

After one year as Gospel Essentials teacher - a calling I hated and that made me sick with stress every week, I finally told the bishop to find someone else to do it. I was done. I remember the disappointed look on his face. He was disappointed because I dared to ask to be released from a calling. I soon stopped going to church. I think finally saying "no" to a calling somehow empowered me.

After years of inactivity I was asked by the bishop to be a primary teacher. I told him I no longer believed. It didn't seem to matter to him. It made me realize that callings are really a way to keep members active, which is why there are so many callings in LDS Inc and no paid clergy.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 09:13PM

In the old days, the man of the house just told the bishop they needed to release a member of their household.

You needed the head of household's permission to make s calling as well.

I remember my Father telling the bishop to release my mother from several callings as well as outright refusing to let her hold s calling.

Date: April 09, 2023 11:30AM

When the bishop ask my husband to be the Scoutmaster he came to our house the extend the calling. Bishop said that it was a calling from God. Laying it on thick. At the time we had one baby maybe 3 months old or so. Why didn't God want the dad's of the Scouts to go camping with their sons? At the time my baby had a difficult time breastfeeding and I was up several times per night. Husband was working full time and going to college full time getting his master's degree. I hardly saw my husband at all but God wanted him gone 5 days for summer camp every year. God wanted him gone every Wednesday and monthly camp outs. Monthly Scout Committee meetings. We had our own flag route putting up 40 flags on 6 different holidays per year that was one of their Boyscout fund raisers. Why did I go along with it? Well after all it was a calling from God.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: April 09, 2023 11:42AM

My ex-TBM wife's calling was the nursery for 6 months. She would complain every Sunday even when I said, just quit. She never quit and never stopped complaining.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 09, 2023 01:19PM

Just stop doing the so-called "calling". You are a volunteer. Take back your power ! No explanations to anyone are needed.

Date: April 09, 2023 03:25PM

> No explanations
> to anyone are needed.

That is exactly right. We owe them nothing.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 12, 2023 01:05AM

The only 'calling' I ever had was that of primary pianist. I bounced out of the cult at 18. Once I knew I wouldn't be coming back ever again, I simply told the chorister that I was moving and wouldn't be back next week or ever (which was true...moving out of my parent's prison). I didn't ask to be released. I only told her out of courtesy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.