Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 12:44PM

Did you ever figure out what that "Fullness of the Gospel" thing was? Talking about it all the time. On and on. I thought I'd find it in the temple, but no. They claim it's in the Book of Mormon but that's just a bunch of killing and curses. Never did know what the heck that fullness thing was.

All I know now is Mormonism is full of something but it ain't gospel.

Maybe I was just too clueless to be Mormon. Was the fullness there all the time?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 12:53PM

I was hoping it was about being fully engorged and having the power of procreation firmly in hand, and I was bound and determined to get it right!

I was very passionate about it...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 01:41PM

It must have been a very small passion.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 01:12PM

I always assumed fullness of the gospel referred to all the Mormon-y specific things that other Christians rejected Mormons for. Like polygamy, god and Jesus as separate beings, "heaven" having three tiers, the "become gods of our own planets" thing, etc.

I assumed "fullness" was directly related to the restoration and all the things mainstream Christianity had lost. Like bureaucratic authority and such.

Edit: Ah! A joke thread and I completely missed it. Okay, a lil late but let me try one.

*as an erotica writer I start zeroing in on the "fullness" of Joseph Smith's gospel but get too sick to continue writing out a joke*

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2023 02:51PM by blackcoatsdaughter.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 01:41PM

“Was the fullness there all the time?”

Yes it was. They were always full of it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 04:52PM

you'd think I would have thought about it. I never did. I just thought it meant "the church." Basically. Was I just not a deep thinker!!?!? I lived it because I thought I had to. I didn't study a lot. I read the scriptures several times, but I did it as I was supposed to. Blah blah blah

It makes me weary hearing you say the fullness of the gospel. Like my "husband" says, "You were never happy as a mormon." And I didn't know it until he said that. EXACTLY.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 05:01PM

I never paid much attention to the gawspel. Full or otherwise.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 05:20PM

The Bible dictionary in the lds study
helps gives a good explanation of what the "gospel" is. It's not the Church or the temple it's about the Good News of Christ. Most Mormons don't have a clue what it really is.
I quoted the Bible dictionary when I was teaching Gospel Doctrine and people had a cow about it..Needless to say I didn't last very long.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 06:08PM

PHIL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Bible dictionary in the lds study
> helps gives a good explanation of what the
> "gospel" is. It's not the Church or the temple
> it's about the Good News of Christ. Most Mormons
> don't have a clue what it really is.

That's sounding quite evangelical!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 06:13PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought I'd find it in the temple, but no.

Me too, D&D.

That's what they kept telling me when I was asking questions. All will be revealed in the temple. Apparently.

But when it wasn't (i.e., "what the **bleep** was that?" I thought when the lengthy, strange and incomprehensible ceremony was over) then that's your fault for not being faithful enough to understand the higher truths.

Or some such strained excuse.

I would love to know how many of the Mormons I knew actually really thought the temple was amazing and sacred and informative as they promised or was it just something they were taught to think, and say, and promise, when really it's all just so not.

As my so-called Mormon friend said after the debacle of my baptism (an embarrassing and hurtful experience) "it's YOUR fault".

Yeah. OK. Whatever.

Same thing goes after a weird and disappointing coupla hours in the SL Temple where I had gone as a sort of pilgrimage. My fault I didn't find it informative, inspiring or even the least bit interesting. In fact, I spent most of the time wondering why Satan was part of the proceedings and why he was the guy with the most lines to say. He was the star of the temple production or that's how it seemed to me. Weird!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2023 06:18PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 08:38PM

It doesn't exist. It's just thrown out there to make some believe [that it is all there, in it's fool-ness] and some guess and wonder, and act like they believe.

Like all of Mormonism, it's all made up... to cause people to wonder, and believe ALL they're told, and hope for the rest. It's just a test.

Fail-Fail

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 09:59PM

Let's see if I can shed some light on the subject, O.K.? First, some context. It started way back in the early 1970s. I was baptized in 1968, just after graduating from high school. Being a convert at age 18 (you can do the math), I was at the age when the ward & stake leaders were gently pushing the M-Men and Gleaners to socialize and find spouses. I met a guy who lived on the other side of town; we're talking San Diego, CA.

Not having much, if any, knowledge of history or culture of Mormonism, I listened to all the lessons, rumors, and speculations in classes and hallways spoken amongst long-time Moes.

The guy's dad and mom were stereotypical deeply-steeped TBMs. "Dad" had been a bishop and really wanted to climb the Mo Ladder of Authority to reach the ultimate of getting his Calling and Election Made Sure. He spoke of it often, including name-dropping his acquaintance with Pres. Harold B. Lee. There may have been a little "Mormon Royalty" envy.

Yes, there were Family Home Evenings and other family get-togethers where "Dad" would explain the Preparedness Gospel versus the Fullness Gospel.

This was Fifty Years Ago and clouded by the mists of memory, but the Fullness Gospel had something to do with that coveted Second Anointing. Everything!, including Temple Endowments, were preparatory to the Fullness Gospel. The Fullness Gospel also had to do with being able to receive direct revelation. I think he believed it included revelation for other people, too. He was confident in his belief and used this "insight" to lord over the members of his family. His wife and son treated him somewhat like a god. I guess he was using the Preparatory Gospel to practice the Fullness Gospel before he got it. I don't think he ever got the Second Anointing.

P.S. I made the mistake of marrying "Dad's" son (family of narcissists!), but all is not lost. I wouldn't have met the hot guy I'm now with had I not gone through all the ups and downs of that marriage and life afterward.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 08, 2023 10:37PM

You are right about the Fullness of the Gospel. It is having one's calling and election made sure, which is the Second Anointing.

Like the New & Everlasting Covenant, which means polygamy, the church has spent the better part of a century trying to persuade people that the names have some other, lesser meaning.

The Fullness of the Gospel is exactly what you say it is.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 17, 2023 02:59PM

Every cult, religious or not, has buzzwords and phrases to make adherents feel closer and more together.

Gay people in the Gay Rights movement in the UK were chastised for not being sufficiently right on. Greens were warned for not being green enough, etc

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: April 17, 2023 06:41PM

One other fullness made the trifecta...united order...let’s unite and I’ll order...seems the money always made it into certain pockets...and those who offered it went to bed hungry...what could go wrong...Brugge said no one was better able to manage his money than himself...if a vote were taken who would disagree but then Briggs would have had way less money to manage...poor mormon dupes...seems honesty in leadership is rare indeed

Date: April 20, 2023 04:47AM

The fullness only comes with learning the truthfulness - and the uselessness - of mormonism itself!

Date: April 20, 2023 10:39AM

IOW it's only available to realized members/ formons (former Mormons)/ ex-mormons/ non-members.

Mormons aren't eligible because they're blindly following.

The fullness comes with the truth, not available to followers, but to leaders... who lead themselves out of TSCC to freedom, liberty/ free-agency/ happiness. Full of happiness!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 20, 2023 11:56PM

Nope. Did not care.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 12:52PM

The "fullness of the gospel" refers to polygamy.

It is traditionally spelled with one "L."

If you do not live the "fulness of the gospel" you are not getting into the highest level of heaven. Those evil gentiles are promoting the evils of monogamy. Monogamy is bad. Polygamy is good. Polygamy is godly.

Another code name for polygamy is "the new and everlasting covenant." When you hear those words, you know what they are REALLY referring to.

You can see why the idea and the practice of polygamy kept right on keeping on after the manifesto. It was the core of Mormonism. It is what made us different. It is what made us special. It is what made us the one true church.

So a certain group of Mormons were set aside to keep the practice going even after the manifesto. They were told to keep it going even if they got ex'd for it. The Exing wouldn't be real. It was all for show to impress the godless monogamists. This group of elite Mormons was to carry on in Mexico and Canada, and even, secretly, in the USA.

So they did.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 03:11PM

When I was young I didn't really give it much thought. I just knew that whatever the Fullness of the Gospel was--we were the only ones who had it! That was the important part.

I'd say that mindset is true of a lot of Mormons.

Funny now to read the definitions and realize that the devil really is in the details.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.