Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 12, 2023 09:01PM

Went to lunch and found out my coworker was baptized 4 years ago because he wanted to know what Mormonism is like. He was a dedicated member, did his callings very well, likes members a lot, feeds the missionaries and thinks Mormonism is great except it isn't true so he had to quit.

The flip flop on the gay kids showed him the prophet isn't a prophet. He thinks Mormonism with eventually accept gay people like they did Black people.

Interesting conversation. He thought Brigham stopped polygamy to get Utah into the union. I learned him about that and Mormon polygamy.

But it is possible to be an exmo with zero baggage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2023 09:04PM

> But it is possible to be an
> exmo with zero baggage.

I've met a couple of people who claim to have attained this level of separation, and I don't argue the matter, but I don't believe them.

Date: April 13, 2023 10:33AM

Maybe not zero baggage but he is sad he can't believe it. He would be active if prophecy were truer for Mormons.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 13, 2023 01:48AM

Polygamy was “stopped” to get Utah admitted to the US. Just not by BY, who was quite dead by 1890.

And of course we still have nutcases running around who think polygamy is the only way to get into Real Heaven. So yeah, you can fool some of the people all of the time.

Date: April 13, 2023 10:31AM

I went into a lengthy explanation about how my sister is a polygamist and the history. He didn't know that too and didn't know what to say which was odd for him as he had a comment for everything.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 13, 2023 04:34AM

I was approached by a very attractive young lady at the bar of my local pub.

Apparently she was, like me, an exmo. She went on to say that I had been her favourite Primary teacher. Which was nice. In a way. ;o))

Date: April 13, 2023 10:32AM

Nice story.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 18, 2023 12:20PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice story.

Except I was going to ask her out, then realised the age difference was a little too much!

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: April 18, 2023 02:40PM

Chicken tender mercies.

Date: April 16, 2023 05:04PM

A four year convert will have less baggage than someone BIC and raised in it. Especially if the conversion happened after formative years.

Each BIC person will be affected differently by the orthodoxy of their family too.

I enjoyed my time working with exmos and nevermo's that grew up in Utah. They understand how stupid it all is. I could even make some of the nevermo's go wide eyed with tales of the inside.

Date: April 17, 2023 07:38PM

Contrasting me and him, I have a semi truck full of baggage. He has a collapsed shelf of items.

Date: April 18, 2023 03:04PM

As long as you don't feel inferior due the comparison. It's completely out of your control. But I understand where you are coming from.

I know having a spouse still in makes the baggage harder to unpack. It also makes it feel much heavier. Soul crushingly heavy some days.

Keeping with the baggage metaphor. In addition to the semi trailer there is a shed out back at our parents place that has more of our baggage that we didn't take with us when we moved out on our own.

Date: April 18, 2023 07:43PM

Thank you. Love your analogy. I am jealous of my coworker. But I think Mormonism is a good fit for him. He has nothing again except his dignity at not being bamboozled anymore.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 16, 2023 09:21PM

Did you take him out for a beer ?

Date: April 17, 2023 07:37PM

We both don't drink.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.