Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 13, 2023 09:35AM

Just another crazy day in lunatic fundie land...

When I was 10/11/12, my Dad got me the 2000+ ultra Lego set that I wanted, my Mom would only let me take riding lessons if they were English and not Western, and I wanted Barbie to be a rescue helicopter pilot, and I couldn't take flying lessons for another two years :p

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/another

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/politics/2023/04/12/sen-mike-moon-reiterates-support-for-12-year-olds-right-to-marry-missouri-senate/70107573007/

A Missouri state senator apparently wants to block gender-affirming care for transgender youth but is OK with 12-year-olds getting married.

Moon's support of child marriage in some instances has been long documented. In 2018 Missouri passed a law raising the marriage age in the state from 15 to 16 and requiring parental permission for older teenagers to marry. Moon opposed the bill at the time — citing the same anecdote of a couple he met in college who had married one another at age 12.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2023 01:33PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 13, 2023 10:46AM

So…he knows of a couple who did OK after marrying at age 12. Well, I know of people who made it home safe when driving while intoxicated-I guess we should oppose DUI laws.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 13, 2023 05:29PM

Good analogy.

Posted by: George of the Jungle ( )
Date: April 13, 2023 12:28PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>citing the same anecdote of a couple
> he met in college who had married one another at
> age 12.

This is how one proves they are not an intelligent life form. Then you have to consider those who voted him into office.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: April 13, 2023 12:46PM

From beyond the grave, both Joseph Smith and Brigham Young must be smiling down on Senator Moon and his efforts... I wonder if the current leadership of the LDS churrch/state of Utah will seek to relax even further that state's current minimum age marriage requirement.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: April 13, 2023 02:41PM

Older TBMs think, "The pieces are moving into place. The Lord is finally getting everything ready for the walk back to Missouri. Better read my patriarchal blessing again, then check up on that covered wagon and handcart we've hidden in the garage."

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 13, 2023 03:51PM

Child marriage supporters, the *real* groomers.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 13, 2023 04:22PM

Yes

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 09:18AM

Child marriage supporters ARE “real* groomers, but not the ONLY “real” groomers.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 06:00PM

It occurred to me since posting the above that the husband/daddy is not always an adult.

I lived in Germany for most of my adolescence, but when I was 17 my dad retired and we returned to the U.S. He took a job in the 2nd largest city in Georgia, and that's where I did my senior year of high school. It was culture shock in a LOT of ways, but one in particular was that there were 3 married girls in my homeroom, and one divorcee! There was also one guy at the school who was known to have fathered kids with two different girls, who were also both at the school. And, believe it or not, "dad" was dating a 3rd girl.

Anyway, that said, even if "dad" is also a kid--as opposed to a creepy groomer--marriage is not the best solution (IMO).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 07:33PM

And I thought that I've seen it all as an urban teacher. The south takes the cake!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 01:55AM

OK, so they get married at 12. Then what? What about education? They aren't old enough to work, so how will they support themselves? I can't believe that there are adults who are willing to support this.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 10:23AM

I think in certain circles, if a girl gets pregnant at age 12, but the couple gets married, it somehow magically makes everything okay. When in reality grandma raises her grandchild while the young couple finish middle school (maybe.)

Date: April 15, 2023 01:26PM

In some states and political parties, a woman who earns a GED at 33 and becomes a grandmother at age 36 automatically becomes a frontrunner for national political office.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 03:16PM

I'm still trying to figure out *why* someone would get married at age twelve. The only answer I can think of is creepy and another reason to oppose it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 12:30PM

If anyone wondered why one of the dominant attack talking points used by a certain party was to accuse everyone of "pedo-filly-a," the answer should be clear now. Accusations are confessions with them.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: April 20, 2023 05:25AM

But if a 12yo child wants to alter her body irreversibly, that’s supposed to be just dandy because that’s an appropriate age to make life altering decisions even without parental consent?

Posted by: Hadji Murat ( )
Date: April 20, 2023 05:42AM

Date: April 20, 2023 06:16AM

Hadji Murat? You have nowhere near that character's courage and masculinity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.