Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 10:51AM

For those who are too young to recall, years ago, Bruce R McConkie was idolized by Mormons. I learned this while at BYU in the late 1970's. His book, "Mormon Doctrine" was essential reading for every Mormon I knew; literally everyone had a copy of it. His work was frequently consulted and taken as the final word (as much as any "standard work") on issues of doctrine. If Bruce said it, it was settled. Ironic but true that the more TBM one was, the more you liked McConkie. As a non-Mormon, I disdained his arrogance.

Here's his take on Palm Sunday:

>Sectarians traditionally celebrate the Sunday before Easter as Palm Sunday in commemoration of our Lord's triumphal entry into Jerusalem. On that occasion, as Jesus rode upon "a colt the foal of an ass, ... a very great multitude spread their garments in the way" (Matt. 21:1-11), and "Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord." (John 12:12-16; Mark 11:1-11; Luke 19:28-40.) Among the Latter-day Saints it is the accepted practice to hail Christ as Lord, King, and Messiah, and to shout hosannas to his holy name, on all days and at all times. But it is not the common practice to single out Palm Sunday for any special commemorative worship. Rather the Latter-day Saints memorialize the transcendent events of their era, such things as the coming of John the Baptist, the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood, the conferral of the sealing keys by Elijah, and the organization of the Church again on earth.<

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 10:57AM

The great one on the subject:

>To the fulness of the everlasting gospel, revealed anew in this final dispensation, the world has given the nickname Mormonism. This name - conferred upon the beliefs and doctrines of the saints and used by its original coiners as an opprobrious epithet - is in no sense offensive to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In all probability, the term Christianity (a synonym for Mormonism) had a similar beginning in the meridian of time Since the Latter-day Saints believe the Book of Mormon - a volume which contains the fulness of the gospel, the same gospel which is in the Bible - they do not recoil from the designation of their views as Mormonism. Rather they take every honorable opportunity to herald these views to the world, for they are the pure, unadulterated Christianity of old. Mormonism is Christianity; Christianity is Mormonism; they are one and the same, and they are not to be distinguished from each other in the minutest detail. "Mormonism is . . . a revelation from the heavens to man, introducing a new dispensation to the human family," President John Taylor says. "It is the religion that Adam, Enoch, Noah, Melchizedek, Abraham, Lot, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Jesus, and the apostles had, . . . and that Lehi, Nephi, Alma, Moroni, Mormon, and a host of others had. . . . It had its origin from God. . . . It is the philosophy of the heavens and the earth, of God, and angels, and saints." (Gospel Kingdom, pp. 1-10.)<

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 11:46AM

I'm sure they wish all the Mormon Doctrine books would disappear by now. Uhhh, he was just speaking as a man. We have a latter day prophet who knows what Holy Simon Says now. LOL. Time for the prophet's Revelatory Pink Eraser to fade out good old Bruce.

Posted by: fischfrei ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 03:02PM

A new ward assignment will be vacuuming up pink eraser crumbs or the crumbles from gummy erasers.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 12:04PM

Had is son Joseph as a BYU bishop. Just as arrogant as his dad.

And yes to Dagny about the ‘speaking as a man’ thing. McConkie was highly revered, and Mormon Doctrine was oft quoted as scripture.

TG

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 12:27PM

Right. What a pompous windbag he was.

What puzzles me is that if they (the members) can figure out Bruce turned out to be wrong, with so many people including GAs accepting his stuff at the time, why can't they realize the ones blabbing today are not to be taken seriously either?

Lots of people spent their lives believing this stuff and later it turns out they were wrong and wasted precious time on it. The pattern repeats with every generation of church "authorities" telling everyone what to do.

Posted by: fischfrei ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 03:06PM

Love the word "sectarians." It sounds like a Brahmin referring to lower castes - which is, of course, exactly what he meant. Too funny.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 20, 2023 11:09AM

Joseph would use the phrase "that is an old sectarian notion and is false"

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 20, 2023 10:56AM

"Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord."

I add what a completely ridiculous and embarrassing thing to do.

A better and more sophisticated way to act would involve waving a white handkerchiefs while loudly whispering Hosanna 3 times. <sarcasm>

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: April 20, 2023 05:28PM

I enjoy how he always referred to Christians as an outside group. Now they are trying so hard to be Christian like everybody else

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 10:32AM

Northern_Lights Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I enjoy how he always referred to Christians as an
> outside group. Now they are trying so hard to be
> Christian like everybody else

Exactly!

He would not recognize the church if he was still alive. He and others couldn't have imagined how many of their policies have put the church in an incredibly defensive position.

Just yesterday I was thinking of how I could set up a food stand to sell popcorn and pickles in the foyer during the church's 2nd hour. I don't think they would run me off as they have Brother Goop attending and don't want me to feel offended.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 03:58PM

Popcorn and pickles? My favorite movie theater treat.

Yum!

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 10:51AM

When I worked in the historical department in the church office building, Bruce R McConkie's son came to work with us.

He was very nice and laid back: the total opposite of his dad.

Our group was small, but we all got along well.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 02:28PM

Sounds like Mark McConkie. I had some classes with him at BYU. He seemed pretty decent to me.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: April 23, 2023 03:14AM

Funny thing is that 'Mormon Doctrine' was being published while McConkie was an Apostle. The version published at the time was the third version, which had been reviewed by then Apostle Spencer W. Kimball, and approved for publication by President David O'Mackay. While the book was published by a non-church owned source, McConkie at the time was a member of the first quorum of the seventy, and essentially needed approval of the first presidency to have books published in order to retain GA status. Furthermore, the church signaled its approval on McConkie's well known work by promoting him to Apostle. Such a promotion surely would not occur if his well known book was not accepted by church leadership. Lastly, for the last ten years of its printing, "Mormon Doctrine" was officially published by the church as Deseret Books had purchased Bookcraft in the late 1990s.

Posted by: OZDoc ( )
Date: April 24, 2023 02:58PM

I have posted before that Bruce R was the Mission President over our small district when I was a small child. He terrified me. He disapproved of everything. He forbade services on Christmas Day if it didn’t fall on a Sunday. This was the one day of the year when many non- member spouses accompanied their families. His missionaries were completely cowed by him. We were told he was such a spiritual and intellectual giant and Mormon
Doctrine was second only to the 4 standard works.

We had a truly gifted professional musician in charge of our choir. He had composed several beautiful pieces and I can still recall BRM’s disapproving face when one was sung at conference. Then the ukase came banning anything not in the hymn book.

A mean, joyless man whose ego was as big as he was.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.