Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 11:00AM

Sorry, I meant this as a separate topic.

>To the fulness of the everlasting gospel, revealed anew in this final dispensation, the world has given the nickname Mormonism. This name - conferred upon the beliefs and doctrines of the saints and used by its original coiners as an opprobrious epithet - is in no sense offensive to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In all probability, the term Christianity (a synonym for Mormonism) had a similar beginning in the meridian of time Since the Latter-day Saints believe the Book of Mormon - a volume which contains the fulness of the gospel, the same gospel which is in the Bible - they do not recoil from the designation of their views as Mormonism. Rather they take every honorable opportunity to herald these views to the world, for they are the pure, unadulterated Christianity of old. Mormonism is Christianity; Christianity is Mormonism; they are one and the same, and they are not to be distinguished from each other in the minutest detail. "Mormonism is . . . a revelation from the heavens to man, introducing a new dispensation to the human family," President John Taylor says. "It is the religion that Adam, Enoch, Noah, Melchizedek, Abraham, Lot, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Jesus, and the apostles had, . . . and that Lehi, Nephi, Alma, Moroni, Mormon, and a host of others had. . . . It had its origin from God. . . . It is the philosophy of the heavens and the earth, of God, and angels, and saints." (Gospel Kingdom, pp. 1-10.)<

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 12:18PM

Welp, all this needs to go down the memory hole now. Know-it-all Bruce's work is going to fade away like the medieval Malleus Maleficarum.

I do think we need to keep using the "opprobrious epithet" here.

I'm sure other Christians are thrilled to know Christianity and Mormonism are synonyms. LOL

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 01:31PM

Hey, Nephites were Christian before Christ was even born. Or should that be "before even Christ was born"? Mormonese grammar can be so complicated.

Top that, gentile sukkahs. Mormons are the real Christians.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 01:58PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 18, 2023 11:07PM

By George, I think he’s got it.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 15, 2023 06:30PM

Hehehe

I noticed the exact same anachronism!

And when I first started reading it, I don't know why it didn't click imediately that "Bruce R" was "McConckie" and that this was so dated.

I was thinking that this was someone contemporary, and trying to align Mormonism further with mainstream Christianity. But, yeah, ultimately he gets some digs in about Mormons being the real Christians too.

As a nevermo looking in (for most of my life), I always pick up on the not-so-subtle we're/I'm better than everyone else, whether it's the above, or someone claiming to have put Mick Jagger in his place, to the clown at BYU who's unwilling to speak to the Black students he offended (and whose meaningless name escapes me at the moment).

I like what one critique of the last guy said: that he's always the "hero" in all his anecdotes. But that attitude--or a more subtle variant (we're better than everyone else)--seems pervasive in the Mormons I know.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: April 16, 2023 01:43PM

Due to my very limited research, and the burning in my bosom that I have when I think about this topic, I've come to a perfect understanding. Even is a 17th century translation error that has survived.

I'm thinking that even would be better translated into level, synonymous with square. Because mason mormon VIP heaven. Or, hear me out, fair and just. (lol)

Silly mormons.

Now all I need is me and some buddies make up separate "scholarly" entities and sit back and pat ourselves, and each other on the back. That is how those mormon apologists do it.

/s Mostly, except for the apologist section.

(this post contains three victories for satan)

Date: April 16, 2023 02:02PM

You may have a future as LDS conference talk writer!

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: April 16, 2023 04:37PM

I don't know whether to feel offended or flattered.

Either way, I feel like Gen Con ghost writing is below the expectations I have for myself.

Date: April 16, 2023 06:30PM

LOL Point taken. Well, maybe you could just do it for a hobby. I hear they can get anything with money. ;D

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 18, 2023 08:59PM

Yep, down the memory hole.
I caused a MAJOR rift between me and my oldest Sister, who is TBM as they come, by reading what Bruce had to say about Catholics in MorDoc to her Catholic atheist husband, my BIL.
He was shocked and showed it to my Sis who banned me from her house after that. And it was HER book! She inherited the original edition of it, which got completely editorialized after he caught a ton of hell for calling the Catholic Church the Great Whore of the Earth God warned us about in Revelations.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.