Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: April 16, 2023 03:52AM

I'm listening to Zulema Pastenes' court testimony. And it seems bat shit crazy. But apparently kind of mainstream enough to openly have conferences all over the West.

How were these people not ex'd for apostasy, or other such craziness?

I last went to church in 2008. But it seems that people coming around claiming to have had many past lives in the past couple of thousand years, and giving each other blessings telling them what they did in those past lives, would have gotten you ex'd.

How was this all done so openly, and without push back?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 16, 2023 04:01AM

The reason is that as the church moved towards the Christian mainstream, a gulf opened up between the bulk of the church and a very large group (30% of the total?) who were still wedded to the apocalyptic, visionary Mormonism of the past. Excommunicating too many of the leaders would cause the Preparing a People cadre to defect, fracturing the LDS church. That's why Bundy, too, is still a member.

Put simply, the church knows it must tread very lightly when dealing with those people.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: April 22, 2023 04:55AM

If so, sounds like things will be getting a lot crazier now. They used to keep a pretty tight lid on public claims that goes against teachings. But maybe the level of crazy will be getting even worse.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 16, 2023 07:34AM

Maybe it's good for business.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 22, 2023 06:14AM

I think this is the real answer. The church leaders are part of this wacko segment. They like it that way.

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: April 23, 2023 01:40PM

Yup, all those seventies have lots of kids that need an income source.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 22, 2023 04:51PM

How many people were in attendance at these conferences around the west? How much money was Daybell making? The money had to be a big attraction for Lori. Did anyone here follow them? I asked a friend if he was following the "court case". I guess I hit a raw nerve and he got angry with me. He claimed he read all the books and he thinks Daybell is Nuts and Evil but why did he get so angry with me? I wonder if he was starting to buy into it. The prepping part interested him, I mean didn't we the mormons have a two year storage plan? I still prep a bit, like extra food and water.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 22, 2023 04:56PM

Is the trial televised anywhere?

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 22, 2023 05:11PM

No the judge would not allow it. But the audio can be followed.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: April 22, 2023 08:29PM

Chad Daybell was not rich. His books did not sell very well and his company went bankrupt.

Chad's brother, who also lived in Rexburg, was very well off. The two families did not get along. The three part interview on youtube by Hidden True Crime of Daybell's sister in law is very enlightening when it comes to family dynamics. Chad's SIL is articulate, and forthcoming, and she ended up leaving the church, but not over Chad.

Tammy came to church in worn out shoes and old clothes, but she had been forbidden by Chad to talk to her SIL. Could her SIL have saved the day before it was too late for Tammy? Who knows?

Chad comes across as a real loser, whose life would be redeemed if ONLY his prophecies would come true. This is a subject I am an expert on, because my father's life mirrors Chad's except my father didn't kill anyone. Joblessness, loser-dom, prophecies that just wouldn't come true, lots of children, wife that is a thousand times better than what he deserved, and books that were self-published, because it was that or nothing. That describes my father and that describes Chad.

Nope, Chad had no money, but if he insured Tammy for 400,000 and then Tammy died, then he WOULD be rich. If he could get the money and lose the wife, then he could get the girl.

So that might console him for his prophecies not coming true unless he, Chad, MADE them come true. He could get the money. He could get the girl. Life would be swell.

I guess if you are facing the death penalty, Life would be swell, even if you ended up losing the girl.

Oh, by the way, I just finished reading the Book of Revelation. That is Revelation, not Revelations. No "S."

I learned that the 144,000 are all descendants of the 12 tribes of Israel. So if that is not you, you can forget it. Also it is 144,000 MEN. So if you are female you can forget it. Also the men must be VIrGINS. So if you have ever had sex, you can forget it. even if you are a male descendant of the twelve tribes. I guess it would be hard to find 144,000 such souls. I wonder if the JWs know about this.

How come all those people infatuated with the idea of the 144,000 never mention those salient facts?

Do you think Chad or Lori or the two Melanis or any of the rest of the gang ever even read the Book of Revelation?????

I think not. Too bad. It's only 22 chapters.

Posted by: fed up with the lies ( )
Date: April 25, 2023 09:59PM

i heard the mormon church had something to do with it not being televised. someone knew there would be less people exposed if they had to listen and more would be more people exposed to what the cult is really like. maybe there is some truth to seeing is believing. for me it's sometimes hard to just listen to this horrible trial when i can't put a face with who is speaking.

Posted by: fed up with the lies ( )
Date: April 25, 2023 10:02PM

i got my words jumbled. i meant more people would be exposed to the cult lies if they could actually see the trial and not just have to listen.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: April 26, 2023 12:01AM

I agree. One must exert energy to listen to the audio. Many won't have the patience.

The church seems to avoid courtrooms at all costs - and fortunately (NOT!) they have the means to prevent the public from seeing.

Example: BSA settlement, Mark Hofmann, many other out of court settlements.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.