Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 18, 2023 10:07PM

Apparently, even the local sheriff is becoming afraid of him.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/04/idaho-sheriff-refuses-to-serve-ammon-bundy-st-lukes-asks-justices-to-weigh-in/

"Attorneys for St. Luke’s Health System have asked the Idaho Supreme Court to weigh in after an Idaho sheriff said his office will no longer serve far-right activist Ammon Bundy with legal papers, citing concerns over safety."

"In its petition to the Supreme Court, St. Luke’s said it has been unable to find private process servers to deliver legal documents to Bundy. St. Luke’s lawyer Erik Stidham wrote that private servers expressed concerns about “online attacks, armed protests at their homes and violence.” According to the petition, Bundy reported some private process servers for trespassing on his property. Process servers are not specifically exempted from trespass laws in Idaho.

St. Luke’s has largely relied on the Gem County Sheriff’s Office to deliver legal documents to Bundy’s Emmett home, Stidham said. But recently Gem County Sheriff Donnie Wunder said Bundy’s behavior toward sheriff’s office employees serving legal papers “is becoming a concern.” As a result, Wunder said, his office would no longer serve documents to Bundy, either."

"Wunder said he is concerned for the safety of his deputies and the process servers contacting Bundy.

“In my opinion, if this continues, there is potential for someone to get hurt,” Wunder said.

On April 10, the same day Bundy and Wunder spoke, Bundy published a blog post on the website for the People’s Rights Network, a far-right group Bundy founded in 2020 that claims to bring neighbors together against tyranny.

The post detailed the April 6 incident Wunder described. Bundy said two deputies came to serve him papers and were told by his son that he wasn’t home. Bundy noted he was in the shop adjacent to his house, where deputies quickly found him after allegedly looking into the shop windows, according to Bundy.

“I could not believe the audacity of these deputies,” Bundy wrote. “When I saw that one of them had actually come into the covered storage section of the shop, I began to yell at him to get off my property. I came out the door near him and chased him out of the storage area demanding that he get in his vehicle and leave.”

Bundy said the first deputy returned to the vehicle, but the second “wanted to confront” Bundy.

“Nose to nose I demanded that he leave my property immediately and never come back,” Bundy wrote."

"Bundy wrote in the blog post that he isn’t a violent person, adding that “after Thursday’s confrontation with the Gem County sheriff deputies, I feel like they are going to keep pushing and pushing until I become what they say I am.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 18, 2023 10:20PM

I just saw that in the news. It's another sign Idaho is falling under the control of extremists.

Funny how they seem aggressive to find ways to serve drag queens legal papers but are afraid to confront Bundy.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 18, 2023 10:22PM

“ Nose to nose I demanded that he leave my property immediately and never come back,” Bundy wrote."

Okay. But was he served?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 18, 2023 10:28PM

From what I read, no, no service as of yet.

The Gem County sheriff has refused to do it, because of what he deems to be the potential for violence...  This is despite the fact that it's his duty under state law.

There's a motion, I believe, to have the State Supreme Court, or at least one of the Justices, order him to perform the service.

It's recognized that a process server could do it, but I suppose no one is eager to test Bundy's resolve.

It's good to be above the law.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 18, 2023 11:35PM

The sheriff could have simply put it on the ground in front of Bundy. It's not necessary to get him to take it by hand.

Date: April 18, 2023 11:57PM

Right. That’s what confuses me. He’s there. Sheriff is there with the summons. Sheriff sez imma put this summons right here. You’ve been served. Sheriff makes attestation and gives it to the clerk.

Why wasn’t Bundy served?

I suspect shenanigans

Date: April 19, 2023 02:12AM

That sheriff shows every bit as much courage as the police in Uvalde, TX.

Cowards, all.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 04:17AM

Two completely different situations. Serving some papers isn’t worth getting law officers killed. Bundy is on his own property, he’s not in a school shooting people.

What the Sheriff’s Department is indicating is this guy is nuts. Throwing some paperwork at him is not going to motivate him to do anything. Bundy is just going to stay on his property and make a stand there like it’s the Alamo.

So you probably have all sorts of law enforcement shrinks trying to figure out how to handle the situation. Whatever.

Date: April 19, 2023 04:29AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two completely different situations. Serving some
> papers isn’t worth getting law officers killed.
> Bundy is on his own property, he’s not in a
> school shooting people.

The distinction had not escaped me.

------------
> What the Sheriff’s Department is indicating is
> this guy is nuts. Throwing some paperwork at him
> is not going to motivate him to do anything.

False. If Bundy is given the paperwork and does not comply, he may be arrested and jailed. IF he is not served the paperwork, he may not. Service of process sets the wheels in motion.

-------------
> Bundy
> is just going to stay on his property and make a
> stand there like it’s the Alamo.

Wanna bet? In that last confrontation Bundy let his friend die while keeping a safe distance himself.

The United States is presently full of people like Bundy, ostensibly brave men who, under pressure, bear an uncanny resemblance to Brave Sir Robin.

------------
> So you probably have all sorts of law enforcement
> shrinks trying to figure out how to handle the
> situation.

Incorrect. The sheriff is not fulfilling his duty even though it would have been easy to do so. His superiors are trying to figure out how to get him to put the papers on the ground rather than carrying them away. Maybe that's psychology or maybe it's the belated recognition of a cowardice akin to that exhibited by those Brave Sir. Robins in Uvalde, TX.

In either case the ultimate goal is the same: serve the papers, create the legal obligation, and proceed from there.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 01:52AM

That sheriff is a secret ally of Bundy.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 10:01PM

I wondered about this too.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 02:53AM

If only Pedro's cousin could be hired as a process server.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 04:09AM

Ammon is going to end up like Joseph Smith. He’s going to die from lead poisoning.

He’s just lunatic fringe that makes the news. He’s far from controlling anything. Guys like him are easy to set up.

Whether he gets served immediately or not is trivial. When the Sheriff’s Department decides you are unstable and dangerous where the lives of law officers are at stake that opens the door to the next step.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 05:46AM

Maybe Idaho should just fire all LEOs, issue all citizens guns, and tell them they are on their own. That way they will have lower taxes.

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 08:55AM

Sheriff is a coward, He gets paid to serve the papers.

If he is too yellow to do the job, quit and become a WalMart greeter or Amway sales type.

So he gets shot at or attacked? Bring more deputies. It is his job. Better he gets shot than decent people.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 02:54PM

If you're so brave think of Ruby Ridge and Waco.

When you're dealing with a crazy person anything can happen.

I'd go in with a armored car, if he takes just one shot, it's the excuse to take him down.

Law enforcement isn't shy about taking the criticism for doing their job. All the police I've met say that when they pull their weapon and decide to shoot, they shoot to kill. No such thing as a shot to wound or disable.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2023 02:57PM by tumwater.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 03:09PM

So send a swat team and haul his ass in for threatening a law enforcement office.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 02:33PM

Unless he just doesn't want to serve the papers?

Date: April 19, 2023 03:36PM

Exactly--like Dave suggested as well.

The sheriff could have dropped the papers at Bundy's feet: that would have counted as service of process.

He did not--either out of cowardice or because he is a closet sympathizer, in which case he's career should be reconsidered--by him or for him.

He's paid to enforce the law.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 03:39PM

Laws regarding this vary from location to location;

1st, what type of documents are we talking about?

Major difference between Civil actions & Criminal actions!

in many if not most jurisdictions, the county sheriff isn't legally obligated to serve civil documents;

Also, in many jurisdictions, a judge can approve service by mail and/or publication.

More details are needed.

Date: April 19, 2023 04:04PM

The article said that the sheriff is required to serve process in these circumstances. He met Bundy face to face and then failed to deliver the documents either by handing them to him or by leaving them on the ground in his presence, which is what is done if someone refuses to accept the paperwork.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 04:06PM

Used to be that with the judge's approval, notice could be given via publication in a newspaper of general circulation.

Then the Internet happened, and there are now Internet service methods.

"Judicial Notice" is a real thing; judges have great power, and it's no big thing to suppose that in circumstances like Al Bundy's, some clever, but minimally dangerous, way could be found that would satisfy a judge, and more importantly, any reasonable appeal court.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 08:36PM

Kinda sick of this asshole threatening law enforcement and ripping off the American taxpayer.

Date: April 19, 2023 10:13PM

https://idahocapitalsun.com/2023/04/18/gem-county-sheriff-declines-to-serve-legal-notices-to-former-idaho-candidate-ammon-bundy/

"An Idaho judge issued a civil arrest warrant Tuesday for Ammon Bundy, after he repeatedly failed to appear in court or respond to a lawsuit filed by St. Luke’s Health System.

Ada County Judge Lynn Norton found probable cause that Bundy committed contempt and set his bail at $10,000, a figure she called “reasonable.”

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 19, 2023 10:43PM

a 'civil arrest warrant' isn't a term I'm familiar with, I'll search ot since I'm not at home where my legal dictionary is; Mr. Packham?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2023 10:43PM by GNPE.

Date: April 20, 2023 05:12AM

Online, it's saying "a court order in a noncriminal matter issued to any peace officer in the state."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 20, 2023 12:36PM

I found “civil capias warrant”, which to my eye is indistinguishable from a bench warrant issued for not showing up in court.

Date: April 20, 2023 08:42PM

Oh! Bench warrants never go away, until you appear. This is when you stop him for a broken tail light/speeding/being an all-around ass

Date: April 20, 2023 08:57PM

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/crime/local-st-lukes-withdraws-supreme-court-petition-in-bundy-case-gem-county-sheriff-agrees-to-serve-papers/277-db256bb5-7c24-4d74-bb10-f165f5f3d489

"The Gem County Sheriff issued a press release agreeing to serve Ammon Bundy with legal papers after lawyers for St. Luke's filed a writ of mandamus with the Idaho Supreme Court two days ago. The sheriff's office had previously said that Bundy had become increasingly aggressive when they had been serving him with papers and wanted to opt out of the duty.

"After St. Luke's filed the petition for writ of mandamus and prohibition, Sheriff Wunder re-engaged in discussions with the Gem County Prosecutor's Office, St. Luke's, and Holland & Hart to clarify the sheriff's duties. St. Luke's will withdraw the current Petition for Writ of Mandamus and Prohibition from the Supreme Court," the release stated."

"Now, the sheriff said he will continue to abide by his statutory duties and deliver any legal paperwork to any and all citizens of Gem County, including Bundy.

In addition, the press release added that he will also not charge any private server with trespass on private property if they are just doing their job."

Hospital to ask for default judgment

"Stidham also said that St. Luke's is going to ask the judge for a default judgment in it's defamation lawsuit against Bundy. Because Bundy hasn't appeared or participated in any of the legal proceedings to this point, and he has made it clear he won't, St. Luke's attorneys want the judge to rule in their favor and then determine damages."

Date: April 20, 2023 08:59PM

Getting Bundy to pay?

Date: April 20, 2023 09:07PM

That is the problem

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/04/ammon-bundy-responds-to-st-lukes/

"He says he doesn’t own much and notes that he no longer owns the property where he lives, a 5-acre apple orchard in Emmett. According to the Gem County Assessor’s Office, Bundy sold the property to White Barn Enterprises LLC on Dec. 5, 2022.

The sale makes it unclear who exactly owns the home and whether Bundy or other members of his family are still legally tied to it."

Date: April 20, 2023 09:09PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 20, 2023 10:15PM

So should Alex be flattered or insulted?

Date: April 21, 2023 12:01AM

Date: April 20, 2023 09:10PM

Something makes me suspect Bundy isn't the legal mastermind he thinks he is. Changes in ownership are recorded, and fraudulent conveyances are illegal.

Date: April 20, 2023 09:00PM

> "Now, the sheriff said he will continue to abide
> by his statutory duties and deliver any legal
> paperwork to any and all citizens of Gem County,
> including Bundy.

Ass.

You can't "continue" doing something you have not been doing, Sheriff, you can only "start" doing what you should have done.

Date: April 20, 2023 12:04PM

Idaho has been courting and encouraging people like him for years. No one here in Idaho should be surprised they created people who think they are above the law waving guns all over the place.

If Bundy really was a law abiding citizen and nice guy, he would follow the laws and no one would be fearing a giant confrontation. But no. He's doing his anti government BS drama and Idaho is there for it. I also suspect a good portion of law enforcement here are Bundy fans. They either want Bundy to keep the stage and get his way, or they want to create a giant Waco drama. I don't think they actually want peaceful law enforcement. I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 20, 2023 12:58PM

No one is above the law. Throw his ass in jail for a good long time. Actions have consequences.

Date: April 25, 2023 11:39PM

Judge has entered a default judgment against him. Hearing will be held to determine damages.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/04/ammon-bundy-defaults-on-hospitals-lawsuit-claims-he-is-surrounded-by-law-enforcement/

From the article

"What nobody’s really seen before are the financial documents and information relating to how Mr. Bundy is paid and compensated by PRN, and how the money moves between Bundy and PRN and his governor’s campaign,” Stidham said.

Stidham said St. Luke’s especially wants those documents because they could back up allegations that the defendants lied about the hospital for monetary gain.

“We think that they took advantage of the situation and turned it into a grift to feed this machine that Mr. Bundy has built in the People’s Rights Network in order to raise his profile, get more members in the People’s Rights Network and profit financially,” Stidham said."

That wouldn't surprise me.

Date: April 26, 2023 12:03AM

It seems Bundy might be trying to gin up a standoff.

Bundy is apparently some leader of the People’s Rights Network (PRN), a right-wing activist hub that boasts of its ability to mobilize members on a moment’s notice via its alert system. I saw somewhere a bunch of them showed up to his home to hear him speak. I can't find the article now but there were kids and guns in the picture which is not comforting.

I hope whatever happens, there is no violence.

Date: April 26, 2023 12:19AM

And still he hasn't been excommunicated. . .

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: April 26, 2023 07:40AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And still he hasn't been excommunicated. . .

Can't alienate the base. At its core, the church is a right-wing apocalyptic church, and members like Bundy make up the foundation. They may not be as outspoken as Bundy, but they definitely align with his views. Excommunicating Bundy will erode that core foundation of members.

Date: April 26, 2023 05:13AM

The video of the individual serving Bundy with the papers is wild.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.