Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fischfrei ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 01:38PM

I read with interest the posts about Palm Sunday and the new emphasis on same in the Mormon Church.

Like all things they co-opt, they will make a crafty hash of it instead of bothering to learn from those who have long practiced the ritual. So, next year will they add Ash Wednesday to the list?

In denominations that observe Palm Sunday, the palms are burned and the ashes saved for the following year's Holy Week services. The ashes are used by the priest/pastor for the imposition of an ash cross on the forehead of the observant faithful.

Holy Week starts with Palm Sunday, then proceeds to Shrove Tuesday (palms are burned on that day), Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, The Great Vigil, and Easter.

I can see Mormons getting behind the pancakes served on Shrove Tuesday, but being clueless about the rest. Ash cross on your forehead, eew, that's just weird.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 02:00PM

but Ash Wednesday is not part of Holy Week.
Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent and Shrove Tuesday is the last day before the start of Lent (hence Mardi Gras celebrations).

Date: April 21, 2023 03:44PM

You are absolutely right! My bad. I was thinking about the palms and the burning of the palms and jumped from Holy Season to Holy Week. Thanks for catching that.

The palms are an important part of the season, not just for the Sunday, and I was thinking that Ash Wednesday and Palm Sunday are inextricably connected.

I did have a Mormon once tell me that they didn't need the Lenten Season because Fast Sunday meant they "lented" all the time. I chose not to answer.

Thanks again for catching my goof.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 02:06PM

?
I thought Ash Wednesday was the first day of Lent, five weeks before Easter.

Fun fact: in ND, Good Friday is an official state holiday. It could probably be challenged on 1st Amendment grounds, but who is going to go to court to cancel a holiday?

Bars in ND are required to close at midnight the evening before Good Friday, rather than the regular 1 am closing time, because Jesus.

Date: April 21, 2023 03:46PM

You are right - see my correcting comment above. I am guessing the large Catholic and Lutheran populations of ND are the reason for the holiday designation.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 02:12PM

The RS will come up with cutesy ways to decorate the ash blob on their foreheads like drawing a flower around it or gluing a rhinestone in the middle of it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 02:17PM

Maybe they will draw a little smiley face with the ash. Of cours Elohim is not big on smiling.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 05:30PM

My family used to observe Ash Wednesday when I was growing up. Even as a child, I remember it as being one of the more memorable church observances. There is something about having ashes rubbed on your forehead while the priest intones, "Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return," which is evocative of the traditional "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust" of burial services. It's good to be reminded at times that our Earthly life has limits, and our bodies will one day be no more.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 05:30PM

What about naked Thursday? It's a real thing. I saw on the TV series "Friends", Joey mentioned it so it must be real, right?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 21, 2023 11:02PM

Ash Wednesday is really quite moving.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 22, 2023 12:52AM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 22, 2023 05:24AM

“You got a little something on your forehead. Let me get that for you.”

Then I lick my thumb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2023 05:28AM by Beth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.