Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 02:49PM

The sun has finally arrived and temperatures are going up. Its the time for cleaning up the yard from a hard winter.

I was walking along the fence line killing out the weeds that get prolific this time of year, and the neighbor wife came over and we talked for awhile. It was great, until the conversation began to wind down and she said to me, "Since my oldest kid has moved back in and the younger ones are teenagers, they can only stay if they go to church, so I can force them to learn the truth." Saying it in way that it appeared to me to be a badge of honor to force them to salute and obey.

I did not say anything, but I knew she had just sealed her future. My mother did things like that, and the only time any of her kids (keep in mind I grew up in a "Large" family) returned home, was for her funeral. Otherwise unless she traveled to see several of them, then they never darkened her door once they moved out. For me I had one moment at the age of 18, when she realized that she could not guilt, threaten, or order me around. None of my other siblings did that, so most just moved far away.

As I stood there listening to this neighbor, and having been away from the culture for many years. I suddenly understood the arrogance of the tone and statement. No wonder mormonism turns people off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 03:03PM

How many of these people tell themselves the kids stay away because "The Truth" makes them uncomfortable?

Edited, because when you're in too much of a hurry your fingers can't keep up with what passes for a brain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2023 03:38PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 03:09PM

Those kids might learn a little more "truth" than she realizes.

(It's hard to find neighbors who don't make me cringe nowadays. I'm pretty sure I must be the neighborhood weirdo.)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 05:28PM

> (I'm pretty sure I must be the neighborhood weirdo.)

Well this is awkward. . .

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 05:28PM

> I did not say anything, but I knew she had just
> sealed her future.

That sentence is lapidary.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 06:26PM

any time and we were not required to attend church. It seemed my parents always had at least one or two of us living with them. When I'd move out, they'd tell me now you can come back any time. Always remember.

My parents were far from perfect, but they weren't your typical mormons.

I have all mormon neighbors with ex bishops (and they were bishops while I have lived here) on all sides. One neighbor keeps trying to get me to go to church. I am nice and tell her no thank you. Although per my daughter the ward members are confused by my ex, myself, our son, and the boyfriends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2023 06:28PM by cl2.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: April 29, 2023 11:14PM

Like most Mormons, I’m sure this woman would also insist that the LDS church is a church of agency.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 01:21AM

Sounds like my parents. They got really upset when in high school I started to wean off the church. My father said to me, "If you live under my roof, you are required to attend church."

I moved out at 18. I'll give them some credit, though. They did take me back in a few years later when I was between places and could not find an available apartment for nearly 6 months. I hated every minute of it, though, and vowed to never live under their roof again.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 30, 2023 01:10PM

The truth will set them free... Of her.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 02, 2023 01:29AM

I wasn't at church because I wanted to be there. That's what gets me. If the church is lovely and wonderful, then why does the church gleefully encourage threats of intimidation?

Look at the temple. Supposed to be this heavenly place on Earth and the church lobs all kinds of threats at temple attendees: If you don't keep all the covenants and live up to all the promises then you are under my power- says Stan.

The temple was no different than weekly church meetings. If you didn't attend, you were put on a "must contact list". A phone call would be placed to remind you that you didn't attend church. If the phone call went unanswered, then people would come to your house.

Members never came to my house to get to know me or my family. They came to find out why church was skipped and that such behavior was not tolerated.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 02, 2023 11:31AM

church. I didn't like either, but the temple. OMH! I went to church because I thought I had to. It was such a relief when I knew it wasn't what it claimed to be. Only made it to the temple a few times.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 03, 2023 05:14AM

I was SOOOO disillusioned by the temple! After getting baptized as an adult convert, I behaved myself for a year - no tea or alcohol and I don't like coffee anyway. I did maintain my habit of reading Diana Gabaldon-type books, rich and racy. NOBODY tells me what I can read.

I lived in Louisiana at the time and the Baton Rouge temple had not been built. I wasn't married then either, so I just left a huge tin baking pan with dry food for the cats plus a big bowl of water. We took a bus to Atlanta.

After more than a year of temple hype, I was really hoping for a seriously enriching spiritual experience. No, Virginia, there isn't a Santa Claus.I was less than impressed.

After moving to New Mexico, a co-worker knew that my interest in the church was fading rapidly, but I still had a temple recommend. When we got our brand-new temple here, she invited me to visit it with her. Fortunately, this community prepared me for the old guy at the curtain with bad breath.

That was my last visit. Not long after that, I sent in my "farewell" letter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.