Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: May 16, 2023 05:08PM

A new study out by the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) shows Gen Z Americans are shunning religion faster than others. Authors conclude it is expected to continue.

I believe the "60 Minutes" financial revelation will only speed the process in the World of Mormon. Shelves will break.

https://www.axios.com/2023/05/16/rising-number-americans-switch-religions

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: May 16, 2023 07:03PM

Especially since the younger generation seems much more conscious and suspicious of the intent behind why/how those with means spend their money. Like, there have been so many controversies in recent years about big time influencers like the Paul brothers or Mr. Beast buying things or doing outreach work but also doing o on video. Like it doesn't matter who/how many you help sometimes. They're so very cynical about what the rich get out of being generous. If it's anything less than a critical sacrifice, then its viewed as pure exploitation to further their own gains.

I can only imagine how it'll hit these wealth critical young people to hear about not just the hidden funds and the lying but that there wasn't an adequate enough amount of spending on who it was promised for. Who is the kingdom of god anyway?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 16, 2023 07:51PM

What does the public think of the Mormon church?
Has the church PR department been unable to control the church image lately?

It seems to me, until lately, the Mormon church was able to control or influence the media so every little thing about them was spun to make them look good.

I've been thinking about the things that could influence the overall public opinion of the church. What outstanding honorable things has the church done to get admiration lately?
The Mormon weirdos in the news seem to be outshining anything good I can think of.

Here are the negative things I can think of that people have heard about Mormons:

Lori Vallow murders
Guy that killed his family
Ammon Bundy the crazy man
Mike Lee the insurrectionist supporter
Canada BYU tuition issue
Shell companies
60 minutes exposure of wealth accumulation and manipulation
Demands to quit using the word Mormon (and now cult)
Book of Mormon musical is still making people laugh at the church
Utah seems to be embracing some unfavorable extreme policies (anti ERA, etc.)
Mormons are trying to pretend they are mainstream Christians and other Christians are smelling the dishonesty and doctrine revision (downplaying the BoM)
Missionaries are viewed as little brainwashed dorks riding around on their bikes in white shirts.

Here are the good things I can think of:

Mitt Romney comes off as having some iota of integrity
Ken Jennings seems to give a good impression of Mormons

I honestly can't think of any other positive news about the LDS church in the news, culture or media. What good are they doing with all their wealth in the eyes of the world?

Building temples is only admirable to Mormons. They are definitely not viewed as a major charitable force in the world.

What can they do to influence the media and improve their reputation? I think transparency and actual charity might help. Why should Gen Z want anything to do with them?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 16, 2023 11:43PM

I don't think there is anything they can do. Transparency would be a disaster because it would bring, well, transparency.

Posted by: Tick Tock ( )
Date: May 17, 2023 05:33PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here are the negative things I can think of that
> people have heard about Mormons:
>
> Lori Vallow murders
> Guy that killed his family
> Ammon Bundy the crazy man
> Mike Lee the insurrectionist supporter
> Canada BYU tuition issue
> Shell companies
> 60 minutes exposure of wealth accumulation and
> manipulation
> Demands to quit using the word Mormon (and now
> cult)
> Book of Mormon musical is still making people
> laugh at the church
> Utah seems to be embracing some unfavorable
> extreme policies (anti ERA, etc.)
> Mormons are trying to pretend they are mainstream
> Christians and other Christians are smelling the
> dishonesty and doctrine revision (downplaying the
> BoM)
> Missionaries are viewed as little brainwashed
> dorks riding around on their bikes in white
> shirts.
>
> Here are the good things I can think of:
>
> Mitt Romney comes off as having some iota of
> integrity
> Ken Jennings seems to give a good impression of
> Mormons
>
> I honestly can't think of any other positive news
> about the LDS church in the news, culture or
> media. What good are they doing with all their
> wealth in the eyes of the world?

Lindsey Stirling and Gladys Knight are both decent ambassadors for it. Maybe even Donnie Osmond.

Look at the other bad stuff:
* Mitt Romney is a mixed blessing. He is seen as a RINO by many on his side of the fence.
* Mormonism is associated with Freemasonry in some people's minds. That turns some people off.
* Robotic, authoritarian thinking.
* "No Time To Die" features an American traitor Logan Ash nicknamed "the Book of Mormon'. The character grins all the time and is seen as the wrong sort of all American boy, too perfect.

https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/Logan_Ash

* "Big Love" - still in recent memory.
* Conflicting statements about gays which annoy both sides.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 17, 2023 06:14PM

Agree. Good additions.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 18, 2023 05:24AM

I had to look up Lindsey Stirling, as the name rung a bell, but I couldn't immediately place her. I remember seeing her on Dancing With the Stars. I agree, she is a good ambassador for the church. But I don't think she is all that well known among the general public.

Posted by: Baste ( )
Date: May 17, 2023 06:44AM

The main reason Gen Z is turning atheist is not science, but because most of them can't conceive of any beings greater than themselves.

Date: May 17, 2023 07:24AM

I see it in part as being a byproduct of a society that is well-educated and reasonably affluent. First world countries are generally moving away from religion. It's not just the U.S.

Science education also helps. You realize that your area experienced a hurricane, tornado, or flood due to forces of nature, and not because some deity was unhappy with you.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 17, 2023 10:20AM

summer Wrote:
> I see it in part as being a byproduct of a society
> that is well-educated and reasonably affluent.
> First world countries are generally moving away
> from religion. It's not just the U.S.
>
> Science education also helps. You realize that
> your area experienced a hurricane, tornado, or
> flood due to forces of nature, and not because
> some deity was unhappy with you.

I left secondary school with qualifications in three sciences (physics, chemistry and biology), or four if you count geography (which included some geology/soil science). I spent my adolescence reading about cosmology/astrophysics, psychology and quantum physics. Back then mainstream TV here carried proper science programmes, unlike now when it tends to be watered down or to push agendas.

I still believe in God, and more so than half of the junk the authorities tell me. My belief in God is not tied to those in power in the church or in the government. Always ask "who benefits?" (cui bono?) when you're asked to put up with something. It's not usually the general public. If someone tells me I need to lower my living standards who flies around in a private jet, I don't buy it... I don't care whether it's Kenneth Copeland or Bill Gates, it's the same skin in the game.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 17, 2023 01:04PM

I think the "flies around in a private jet" a bit of self-righteous nonsense. Yes, it may be somewhat hypocritical, but then, the exact same charge can be leveled at anyone who owns a personal vehicle, especially if it is an SUV or larger. Most people in the world do not own a personal vehicle.

And how many of us own a vehicle? Probably all or nearly all of us. Enough with whataboutism.

BTW, the argument for transitioning to non-carbon energy sources is that global climate changes will lower our living standards more than not transitioning. Putting Miami underwater or making large swaths of the earth too hot to live in is a serious lowering of living standards for those involved.

In yesterday's news, Seattle and Vancouver BC have set record highs for this early in the spring, and northern Alberta is already having serious fire problems, in May, for crying out loud.

Date: May 17, 2023 06:11PM

IMO it's about optics. If you have more money than God, then you should understand that it doesn't look good to evince interest in global warming while flying around on a private jet.

I've always said that for some people, they will need the water from the melting ice caps lapping at their doorsteps before they will want to do something about it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 17, 2023 11:06PM

Yes, but optics are, er, in the eye of the beholder. To much of the world, the entire US of A are a bunch of rich wastrels using far more energy than they have any right to, and the poor countries will end up paying the price.

That is not an entirely unreasonable point of view.

OTOH, it is probably the rich countries that are going to get the world out of this mess, assuming we do get out of it.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 18, 2023 07:54PM

Don't forget that Nelson is driven around in a factory armoured Audi A8 L Security. They cost some $800,000 with no options. The church's Audi has expensive options, such as bulletproof windows that can actually be lowered, a rare thing in armored vehicles. I think that's just a bit over the top, even by Mormon standards.

Date: May 17, 2023 06:19PM

Baste Wrote:
> The main reason Gen Z is turning atheist is not
> science, but because most of them can't conceive
> of any beings greater than themselves.

Evidence?

Do you have any evidence to support that assertion?

Your history here suggests you do not.

Posted by: Heinz Beanz ( )
Date: May 18, 2023 04:23AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Baste Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The main reason Gen Z is turning atheist is not
> > science, but because most of them can't
> conceive
> > of any beings greater than themselves.
>
> Evidence?
>
> Do you have any evidence to support that
> assertion?
>
> Your history here suggests you do not.

r/Whoosh
r/Whoosh
& thrice r/Whoosh.

Date: May 18, 2023 03:22PM

Projection, then.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 18, 2023 05:24PM

That's the real answer to this question.

A friend's mother died from COVID a couple of years ago.

She was 89.

She very involved with her hometown church, even though she no longer lived where she grew up. The church was her social focal point, and that's what her life was organised around.

Now fast forward to the 21st Century,

A young adult doesn't need to belong to a church to do anything socially, and the EV xtian far right demands hatred and rejection to join (remember, they are bound together by fear, not love), and they have nothing to offer for today's college age people other than tribalism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2023 05:25PM by anybody.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.