Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 12:39AM

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/bagley/2023/05/18/bagley-cartoon-thug-culture/

Clever.

A group called ‘Moms for Liberty’ is included in the 'toon. I only just heard of them yesterday. They are described as “advocates against school curriculums that mention LGBT rights, race, critical race theory, and discrimination, while multiple chapters have also campaigned to ban from school libraries books that address gender and sexuality issues.”

Ironic.

Where does the liberty come in? Or, for whom, should I say?

I do understand that, as Dylan sang, the times they are a-changin' and more quickly than some can keep up with. But it's hard to immediately associate 'liberty' with book banning or discriminatory demands.

For faith groups that don't find a way to adjust the future doesn't look that rosy.

Still so relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90WD_ats6eE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2023 12:40AM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 12:48AM

He has a newer one today that relates to the mormon church and its finances

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/bagley/2023/05/19/bagley-cartoon-elephant-room/

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 12:03PM

I love the caption on this one. It is the perfect modification of the old "Golden Questions" - What do you know about the Mormon Church, and would you like to know more?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 01:14AM

Another winner!

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 12:35PM

Nightingale wrote in part:

"I do understand that, as Dylan sang, the times they are a-changin' and more quickly than some can keep up with. But it's hard to immediately associate 'liberty' with book banning or discriminatory demands."

When you read "Moms for Liberty," think of Liberty with a capital L; that is, Liberty University, located in Lynchburg, Virginia, founded by the late Jerry Fallwell, and known for encouraging its students and supporters to get rid of evil books, among other things.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 01:44PM

Oh, good point, blindguy. I only heard of that group the other day. We don't have them up here in Canada. Yet. (That I've heard of). There's stretching or morphing the meaning of a word or phrase and then there's just pure irony.

If you just encountered their group peripherally or momentarily (like I did on the news) and knew nothing except their name you could be understood for misunderstanding their core agenda.

Maybe they do themselves a disservice though because I thought they were advocating **against** book bans. LOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.