Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cakeordeath ( )
Date: May 22, 2023 08:14PM

In the late 1970's I served a mission to Chicago. During the course of many visits to the mission home, the Commisarian would sell us our usual stock of BOM's and pamphlets, nothing high tech here except for a film strip projector that I carried in a rucksack (this is before backpacks came out of the camping closet). Anyway, every now and then there would be talks or hymns overheard on a single speaker radio in the office. I got to see it once or twice and it was a radio which was tuned to an unknown frequency and would not play anything else but talks and hymns.

It was rumored the MP Keith Barber would have it set up to listen to BYU sports, which I doubt is true. It was a gorgeous set with oak veneer cabinetry, machined metal knobs, and several connectors in back (i.e., RCA-type, bare metal wire spring-loaded plugs, and a headphone jack. Even if you never saw this radio, is there anyone else who might know who or why TSCC had these made and kept on church properties? I was told that some branches had them for church broadcasts over the years.

Cake

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 22, 2023 08:36PM

I have nothing to contribute to your quest, but I did want to give you a shout-out!  Your S/N is one of my favorites, as I am a die-hard EI (now SEI) fan.

Posted by: cakeordeath ( )
Date: August 06, 2023 05:50PM

Thanks, EOD! My handle, as you so aptly have pointed out is uniquely EI's bit from 'Dressed To Kill'. Can I threadjack my own thread?

Sure.

I love history, especially served with irreverence and topped with cheeky monkeys. Recently, Ms. Cake and I were watching a series called 'Bits of Her'. To our surprise, EI plays a heroin addict/lawyer in the series. Ms. Cake asked me if I thought EI's character was going to employ the cunning use of flags in the series.

Thanks, again.

Cake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2023 05:52PM by cakeordeath.

Posted by: Arkay ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 02:39AM

I'd have no way of knowing, but my first thought was that they got their broadcasts on a FM station using a sub carrier. Back in the day it was how background music services, reading for the blind, a doctor's news network and other narrowcasts were distributed.

Way back in my days of messing around with electronics, I built one just to see what was available in my area. Most of the receivers were built by McMartin and have been replaced by satellite services today.

Posted by: BettyG ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 04:36PM

A Few years ago I was investigating the Mormon Church. One time when I was in the lobby I kept hearing what sounded to be a radio coming from above me. I kept looking to see where or how it was coming and couldn't find any stairs or anything else.

I asked about it and someone mentioned that LDS chapels have a shortwave radio (or something like that) in case of emergencies. They have someone who is assigned to take care of it and have to do regular (monthly?) checks to ensure it is working.

Could it be that this is something regularly found in LDS chapels and it also could be a way that they passed music and other things over the channels.

I also saw that they had an old rusted Satellite Dish by the building. I was told that they used to broadcast things on a specific LDS satellite. Could it also be connected to that?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 05:18PM

cakeordeath Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> During the course of many visits to the mission
> home, the Commisarian would sell us our usual
> stock of BOM's and pamphlets,

OK, wait. Hold up here a sec.

"Sell us"???????????

Mishies have to BUY the literature?

On another note: I see the phrase "served a mission" here frequently. I thought that was church-speak. Do exmos use it mockingly or is it a deeply ingrained habit most don't even notice I wonder?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 05:25PM

> On another note: I see the
> phrase "served a mission"
> here frequently. I thought
> that was church-speak. Do
> exmos use it mockingly or
> is it a deeply ingrained
> habit most don't even
> notice, I wonder?

To me, it's a common cultural phrase.  It's a measuring stick, kinda like, "Did you vote?"

Would you like to serve "a mission"?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.