Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 08:13PM

It never ends.

This is in the national news tonight. Apparently the abusers were moved around so the congregations and public were not made aware.

I'm so disgusted to hear this over and over and over. This is just ONE state. I am SICK of religion getting away with this crap and the fake statements of concern.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/05/23/nearly-2000-children-sexually-abused-by-catholic-leaders-in-illinois/70247971007/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 10:52PM

The abusive Doomsday CULT of Joseph’s Myth has just as many abusers, they’re just better at protecting pedophiles than they are at protecting kids.

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 03:45AM

Whatever happened with that gal who was suing chruchco. for being rapped by the prez of the MTC way back in the 80's?

Burden of proof is harsh after so much time has passed.

You would think the dumb ass catholics would realize that the sexual repression might have something to do with fondling children? Hello, McFly anybody home?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 11:04AM

Being a born-and-raised Catholic, I've given the matter a great deal of thought. I think it's more a matter of the abusers knowing that they have a safe place to hide and official cover for their activities. They do it because they know that the RC church lets them get away with it.

If the Catholic church put the simple protections in place that U.S. public schools do as a matter of course, IMO there would be a drastic reduction in abuse cases.

Date: May 24, 2023 11:54AM

Agree.
I also think the male Catholic priesthood has attracted a lot of types who didn't fit in to the sexual norms for centuries.

If you were gay, for example, what better place to be where you could publicly loathe homosexuality but find the perfect environment for it?
If you were asexual, and felt pressured to marry, what a perfect place to get respect for celibacy?
If you like children, what better place than being the trusted religious leader using God to get access? (With instant forgiveness even!)
If you like hearing about sexual issues, what better place to be than sitting in a (dark, private) confessional?
If you have been in trouble for sexual issues, what better place to be than in the priesthood where they protect you and simply move you to another place if you get caught?
If you don't fit into social norms and normal jobs, the priesthood has a place for you! Grand costumes provided!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 25, 2023 07:50PM

I agree. They have great cover.

I have a longstanding theory that RC religious communities of priests, brothers, or nuns have historically provided a safe harbor for those who are asexual or homosexual. It gave those religious protection and status within the community. Nothing wrong with that.

But for too long, the RC church has also given safe harbor to child abusers. That must stop. And I am appalled that RC higher ups have not taken sufficient action to reign in the abhorrent behavior.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 25, 2023 08:06PM

Well said.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 25, 2023 06:17PM

Celibacy and vows make them more special than other people.

Date: May 25, 2023 08:37PM

So. The Pope was a story on some network news tonight because he was getting out of a hospital and looking better. I'm not sure why that was news. Anyway, the person interviewing him didn't say jack about the abused kids (what a surprise).

The interviewer did ask the Pope if the land taken from Ukraine should be given back. The Pope shrugged it off and said that was a political issue. I don't know if he is a slow learner or just trying to protect his church's history. They have repeatedly had to apologize for what they have done to native peoples all over the world. Their attempts to "bring Christianity" have not exactly been benevolent. He has the nerve not to stand up for people who have been invaded and their land taken. I have zero respect for that guy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.