Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: May 29, 2023 02:32PM

I haven’t seen any stories or news reports of memorial day weekend. Is it just a free holiday now. I don’t own a tv so I don’t know about that.

Memorial Day should not be forgotten!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 29, 2023 02:47PM

It isn't. There are lots of parades and memorials. One Memorial Day long ago, I went to see President Clinton speak at the "The Wall" -- the Vietnam Veterans memorial. The crowd of veterans was more respectful of him than I might have otherwise expected. The various memorials in Washington, D.C. can be quite moving. A particular favorite of mine is the memorial for the Korean war veterans.

This past week I visited the US Naval Academy to see the Blue Angels perform, and to witness the graduation week activities, which are impressive. I would recommend a tour of the Academy to anyone who is visiting the area -- it is fascinating. Some family members will soon be attending the change of command for a submarine for a former Midshipman that they hosted and mentored -- he will be its new skipper. There are plenty of patriotic activities going on.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2023 03:03PM

Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: May 29, 2023 06:20PM

Yesterday I enjoyed attending the wedding of a recently discharged Marine sergeant. He assigned me to a reception table with a few of his squad mates. Our wives and dates graciously sat by as my son, the Marines, and I indulged in endless Jarhead shop talk. (We ranged from E-2 [me] to 0-3 [my son]).
I have Old Glory and thr Globe and Anchor waving in the breeze out front. Alas, the only such display in the neighborhood.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: May 29, 2023 06:15PM

The National Memorial Day concert broadcast last night on PBS was excellent.

Our news has been covering events all over our state.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 29, 2023 08:00PM

I’ve always been a little puzzled by Memorial Day. The US observes Veterans Day on Nov 11, as do all the Commonwealth countries, which call it Remembrance Day. Most European countries have similar holidays, though they are not all on Nov 11.

So why does the US have two holidays? To me, November 11 feels like the real one, and the May one is schizophrenic about its purpose. Honor war dead? Mark start of summer? Leave flowers at graves of family members, completely irrespective of military service? Car and mattress sales? Sell leftover Mothers Day flowers?

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: May 29, 2023 08:15PM

Memorial Day started as Decoration Day after the Civil War to honor the dead of that war. Before Monday holidays became a thing it was on May 30.

Veterans Day started as Armistice Day after WWI and is on 11/11 to commemorate the signing of the armistice.

Same idea, two different wars.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 29, 2023 09:00PM

I know the origin stories. I don’t think Memorial Day in particular is really about that anymore. I drove by a cemetery today. Covered with flowers, tons of cars and people there. If the day is a memorial to anyone, it is to “anyone who has died”.

Nothing wrong with that, but it is not the official narrative. And having two official holidays about veterans muddies the water, and neither holiday gets its due in the US, or so it seems to me. When I saw my first Remembrance Day when I lived in Canada, I was astonished at how much more seriously the Canadians observed the holiday.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 30, 2023 12:40AM

I think you are right. It is my experience having grown up in the UK, lived in Canada, and now the US, that Britain and Commonwealth countries offer more respect and remembrance of those who died in service to their country than does the US. That includes not only Memorial Day but Veterans Day, too. Not sure about Canada but Remembrance Day in the UK is not seen as a holiday and thus, I think, has a more serious focus.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 29, 2023 09:56PM

60 plus years ago I remember Decoration Day as a day to decorate all graves, not just veterans.

Only in the last few years have I heard people say it's not a day to decorate all graves. Might be a Utah thing.

There were three holidays I worked each year for 23 years as an Air Force member.

Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veterans day. We did fly bys for various parades and ceremonies.

Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: May 29, 2023 08:35PM

Freedom to a lot of people means a home in the suburbs, a big truck, and some ATVs.

Doesn’t sit well with me, but hey, it’s what seems to make them happy.

The freedom to be superficial.

Not sure they truly grasp what Memorial Day is about.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 29, 2023 10:26PM

Doesn't get much attention, of course.
November 10 is the Marine Corps birthday...OF COURSE!

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 30, 2023 01:59PM

If you are keeping track of thing marine the first marines were founded in Spain in 1537. The Netherlands has the second oldest marine unit founded in 1665. The UK marines were founded a year earlier in 1664 under King Charles 2 but were not officially called marines intil 1802. They were originally called the Maritime Regiment of Foot. November will mark the 148th birthday of the US Marine Corps.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: May 30, 2023 04:20PM

My wife went to Wal-Mart for a prescription. She said it was
packed with Memorial Day revellers. I do think its purpose has been pushed to the side.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.