Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 02:29PM

The Church video was about a family whose teenage daughter had "gone wild" and the dad had been "blessed" with a thriving business and lots of money. The man was talking about leaving the daughter out of his will. The mother was emotional and blamed herself. The father was a bully and very critical of the daughter.A daughter was not shown in the video.

I watched it several times but I wasn't sure how to download it. I did post it here.

In a week or so the video had been completely changed in message by the church. It was the same family talking about family trusts and giving to the church. But it had been significantly edited. In this 2nd version the daughter had been made a key figure in the family trust organization. Daughter had not been disinherited and she was shown with the family walking by a stream.

(Someone commented this was an actual LDS family they knew)..

I am looking for the 1st video where the daughter gets tossed out of the family will and there is NO photo of her with the family.

If you can remember this please help me find it. It was an offensive video to all women. The "blame" for the daughter seemed placed on the mother.

Somebody out there knows about the video and how it was quickly changed. By just changing the message it makes it difficult to find. Maybe the church was successful in making it all go away.
But I doubt it.........

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 05:16PM

Yes, I remember that video. I'm sure that the original is still floating around somewhere. You might try posting on r/exmo to see if anyone there knows.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 05:46PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 06:49PM

Yeah, that's the one I had in mind too. It's right up there with the anti-masturbation clip with soldiers.

This stuff is truly f'ed up.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 07:14PM

This one I am not familiar with? As a young preteen who had no idea what they were talking about, I was handed a pamphlet on the subject and told it was a no, no.

So did they make an actual film for soldiers, if that is true....what a new low. Thought I had heard and seen it all, when it comes to Mormon guilt trips.

Date: May 31, 2023 07:38PM

Here's the clip. It's reproduced by some moron who wants to ridicule it, which is entirely unnecessary, so you only need to see 0.30 to 3:55.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ueuz0-Rnd5c

I think the church has tried to bury it, understandably if belatedly.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 07:45PM

You really need to post this on the BYU vs. BYU-I thread to demonstrate what BYU-I is like.

Date: May 31, 2023 07:56PM

Will do.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 03, 2023 01:19AM

If you're going to shoot, aim toward the enemy.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 03, 2023 03:49AM

From the video (the Mellor family) I just picked up on a theme that I never paid attention to. Helping people who can never repay you. What type of church teaching is that?

I always heard about serving others, treating others as you would want to be treated and love one another.

I guess that is the underlying philosophy that the parents use to cut off their wayward daughter.

Of course as an individual who reached out to church leaders for help after a house fire, I realize now that I could never repay the church and thus was undeserving of help (neither monetary or emotional).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.