Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cafeteria Mormon ( )
Date: June 07, 2023 03:25PM

Forestpal brought this up in reply to a message I posted previously.

Yes, there is no scouts (and I understand the justification why), ministering is much more spotty and accomplished mostly on an as needed/requested basis, there's no talent shows, less ward functions. To my knowledge nobody goes from house to house collecting fast offerings. Our church has a nice basketball court but nobody uses it for that purpose, although these days the game is now a little bit too rugged for most baby boomers, and most young people are addicted to their cell phones and/or video games. Actually, if it weren't for the 10% tithing hanging over your head, the ward has almost evolved into your run of the mill show up on Sunday for a couple hours church. It's good in some ways, but also kind of strange.

Somewhat related, from what I could see the gigantic General Conference center was not close to capacity at any of the last couple years post COVID sessions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 07, 2023 03:52PM

My brother’s ward still does potlucks and pancake breakfasts and those sorts of things now and then. He was in a fairly upscale Utah County ward. So at least there there was some socializing.

As for GC, I know I am still leery of going to event where I am going to be trapped in a seat surrounded by other people for two hours. If any of them have covid, that is the perfect way to have you exposed to enough virus particles for long enough time to get infected.

I still go to events where I can sit off in the unfilled parts of the auditorium, and there always seem to be unfilled seating.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 07, 2023 08:29PM

So you are one of those guys slumped in the back of the theater?

Sorry. Too easy.

;-)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 02:32PM

I'm like BoJ in that respect. I do not like crowded places because I consider them to be superspreader events waiting to happen.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 03:35PM

COVID changed many things.

ETA: And I was suggesting, however ineptly, that BoJ was a pervert!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2023 03:37PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: June 08, 2023 12:32AM

Just thinking about the wonderful new future in the Church of new service opportunities just causes my keyboard to become like the bottom of a waterfall as my tears of joy flood the keyboard below while I type this. In addition to all the chapel cleaning assignments, temple cleaning assignments, and other activities we do in the Church (like harass all my neighbors that they need to get themselves assimilated into our wondrous Church) the day is coming when we'll be doing cleaning assignments at the offices, retail outlets, and other locations of the various companies that are sacred investments of Ensign Peak Advisors. When I scrub the toilets at these offices so they can have better profits & growth in share prices of the Ensign Peak Advisors stakes I will feel the Holy Ghost. So, this idea that our activities are going to be reduced is fetching nonsense.

Posted by: devoted ( )
Date: June 08, 2023 06:14AM

I feel your spirit, Honest. The only problem is the work at home situation for most companies post covid. Perhaps I can find out who the CEO's are and show up to their home with a heart felt offer to scrub their toilets and such like?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 08, 2023 09:32AM

My mom's ward is already planning their 4th of July ward breakfast. This is one of two social events that people get excited.

Of course this means bringing your own folding tables and chairs as church furniture is NOT allowed to go outside, EVER! The whole gathering is done from the parking lot.

And this may sound tacky because it is, but they serve everything from pancakes, bacon, sausage and eggs from crock pots and griddles from the inside of their trunks of their vehicles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2023 09:34AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 04:22PM

Basically ward kitchens can only be used to reheat already cooked food. To cook from raw, the kitchen would have to meet restaurant standards, which is quite expensive - double sink, commercial grade appliances like refrigerators with a built-in thermometer and and over-temp alarm, etc.

If you cook outdoors, those rules don’t apply. Hence the ward breakfasts in the parking lot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.