Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 07, 2023 06:18PM

We are experiencing the fallout from the Canadian wildfires in the mid-Atlantic. Today was especially bad. When I went outside early this morning, the air was grey-brown and hazy, with a distinct smell of smoke in the air. Central Maryland is "Code Red" for air quality. We haven't had a code red since about 2008. People with breathing problems are urged to stay inside.

It reminds me of Mexico City when I used to travel there in the 1980s (wonderful city, but with nasty, foul, brown air from the smog.)

But seriously to our eastern Canadian friends, I feel for you. I hope that the situation resolves as quickly as possible. If you need help, you know that your government only has to reach out to the U.S. We have some great back-country firefighters here. Sending best wishes from your friends on the southern border.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: June 07, 2023 06:39PM

I just saw on the news that NYC is recommending people wear masks when outdoors. My cousin posted a picture from NJ and the sky was awful.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 07, 2023 06:42PM

California and parts of the West have been experiencing air quality problems from fires with unsettling frequency the past few years.

Canada, I am sad for the destruction and losses you are experiencing. It breaks my heart for the animals too.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 07, 2023 06:48PM

Thanks, summer. Very kind of you to think of us. I was going to post to say Sorry New York City! Worst. Air. Quality. In. The. World. today. Blame it on Canada. :(

Here are a few excerpts from CTV News (June 1) and things are even more grave now, in multiple locations:

"A massive amount of land has already been scorched by wildfires in Canada this year, and federal fire officials warn the hot, dry weather fuelling the burns is nowhere near over.

"The unusually severe start to fire season is prompting warnings to Canadians to know their risk and concerns about a shortage of firefighters as many jurisdictions are now in competition with each other for the number of trained workers available."

"These conditions this early in the season are unprecedented," said federal Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair.

"The situation in Canada today is very dangerous."

"He said the amount of land already burned is more than 10 times the average amount of land burned by June 1 over the last 10 years.

"It's equivalent to five million football fields, or almost five times the size of Prince Edward Island.

"As the situation in Alberta grew quickly out of control in early May, the Canadian military moved in to help, and the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre also helped commission firefighters from other provinces and other countries.

"But federal officials said in a briefing to reporters Thursday that the fire situation is troublesome almost everywhere now, and those provinces need their staff back at home.

"Canada has agreements to share firefighters with six other countries -- the United States, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Mexico and Costa Rica.

"To date, the centre said 566 firefighters have travelled between provinces this year to help other jurisdictions, and another 443 firefighters and other trained experts have come to Canada from the U.S., Australia and New Zealand.

"Most of them to date have gone to Alberta, where more than a million hectares burned in May.

"Currently, the biggest threats are in Atlantic Canada, particularly in Nova Scotia."

As I said, those comments were made on June 1 - things have shifted but the issues are similar.

We have just welcomed firefighters from France who are deployed to Quebec.

News reporters are saying the air is acrid. I've been thinking the past few days that something doesn't smell very good and I have to keep the windows closed in the middle of our heat wave. I'm down near the coast but still the air is affected.

Shows you how interconnected we all are on this globe, in countless and crucial ways.

I'm deathly afraid of fire. I could not possibly work as a firefighter or stay put in any area under advisory cautions due to fire risk. I admire their courage and the resolve and calm of all those residents most badly affected to date.

I've been looking around my place to see what I would grab first and fastest if I had to leave in an instant. It's heartbreaking to contemplate the major losses of so many people.

It also hurts to think of so much destruction, of land, property, lives and the beauty of our place.

I saw on a graph that lightning is listed as the most common cause of these fires so far, followed numerous times by "person". All the experts are repeatedly stressing to Be Careful Out There.

Cannot take our planet for granted.

My thoughts are with countless folks who have respiratory and other conditions that make them even more susceptible to ill effects from poor air quality. I feel like choking just watching the TV coverage. I saw a time lapse display of the air in NYC where it started out looking clear and rapidly became dirty yellow. Imagine that going into your lungs and ending up in your bloodstream. Scary.

I hadn't even thought of the animals until I read dagny's comments above. Yes, indeed. Poor babies. No escape, likely.

Thanks everybody.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2023 06:50PM by Nightingale.

Date: June 07, 2023 07:23PM

I emailed President Biden asking him to offer any and all needed assistance to your PM in this matter.

Many, many years ago I worked for a mountain parks division, and was trained to assist in fighting wildfires. Those who do it as a full-time job have my utmost respect. It's a complicated business.

Date: June 07, 2023 07:52PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I emailed President Biden asking him to offer any
> and all needed assistance to your PM in this
> matter.

That is very nice of you, summer. I laughed at first, thought you were kidding. But, thanks!

Date: June 07, 2023 11:52PM

Well, it's one little voice, but hopefully, one little voice among many. :)

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 07, 2023 07:30PM

The number of trained firefighters number in the hundreds and the burned acres number in the millions? I don't think I like those numbers.

Canada, or the US for that matter, should have a large volunteer pool for tough years. Shouldn't the National Guard (or whatever it is in Canada) be called in? Tens of thousands of young guys should be out there doing the grunt work. Where are they?

Date: June 07, 2023 07:49PM

Canada has already called in their military along with established foreign partners, including the U.S. I do think that the U.S. needs to offer additional help.

As for a volunteer pool -- yes, volunteers can and do step up. But firefighting for wildfires is quite properly the domain of trained professionals. It is a more complicated (and dangerous) business than you think. Untrained people can get into life-threatening difficulty very, very quickly.

Date: June 07, 2023 07:51PM

bradley Wrote:
> Canada, or the US for that matter, should have a
> large volunteer pool for tough years.

Apparently, there are about 100,000 volunteer firefighters in Canada. I'm not sure if they are all deployed to wildfires as needed. But yeah, I've read of some being pulled away from one location to rush to another this year as there are so many wildfires in multiple provinces.

> Shouldn't
> the National Guard (or whatever it is in Canada)
> be called in?

I think the equivalent is the Canadian Armed Forces. Some of them are deployed too, depending on need.

> Tens of thousands of young guys
> should be out there doing the grunt work. Where
> are they?

Many are. I guess it's not for everybody. Tough job. Up there with the toughest, no doubt.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 07, 2023 08:41PM

I have not heard yet about anyone from the US or AU going up to help. The three of us have an agreement. Maybe they will call on them soon. It is nice that AU has opposite seasons, it means we are available during the others summers.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 07, 2023 09:03PM

US firefighters have been in Canada since last month

https://calgary.citynews.ca/2023/05/14/united-states-firefighters-alberta-wildfire/

"Two hundred wildland firefighters from the United States have arrived in Alberta to help battle wildfires as challenging conditions are expected for the next few days.

Firefighters from Oregon, Montano, Idaho, Washington, South Dakota and Colorado are being deployed in central and northern Alberta."

Date: June 08, 2023 03:48AM

That is good to hear. Most of the time they tell us when our guys go up. They are already worried that we will have a bad year down here too :(

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 07, 2023 10:24PM

I only know one former forest fire fighter personally. She did it for two years between undergrad and medical school. Triathlete, varsity lacrosse - one of those people. She's now an MD in SLC, specializes in trauma cases - gunshots, car accidents and the like. Tough as nails.

I've heard stories about the forest fire fighters in the boreal forest region of Canada - Thunder Bay, on the north shore of Lake Superior. They fly planes that scoop up water and a few very surprised fish that are about to meet an untimely end, and drive huge trucks with tires 6 to 8 feet in diameter, or are foot soldiers. They are considered the biggest bravest toughest people going.

On the Canadian route (US route - Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto) Winnipeg to Toronto, there are only 3 cities in the vicinity of 100K residents, for a distance of 1,300 miles. Thunder Bay, Sault Ste Marie, and Sudbury. And a whole lot of rock, water and trees in between. Forest fires are tough to fight and tough to get to up there, but they do it. My hat is off to them. Like I said, I've heard stories.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 08, 2023 05:57AM

Fittingly, they are called "Canadairs". Thanks and good luck, Canada!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 07, 2023 11:59PM

The bond between Canadians & the U.S. citizens is a prime model for other nation’s & individuals.

The example of Canadians hosting others due to 9-11 will be not forgotten or overlooked soon.

Date: June 08, 2023 12:53AM

The other thread mentioning the Salem witch trials makes me wonder about witches living in the woods. Is all of this about God burning witches?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 08, 2023 12:57AM

I was in Westchester County just north of NYC a few days ago and everything was clear. I guess you can’t see across the Hudson now.

Date: June 08, 2023 08:19AM

Today is even worse in the mid-Atlantic -- brown, soupy air and a strong smell of burning. Supposedly we will get some air movement this afternoon.

Date: June 08, 2023 09:16AM

One thing that does help a TINY bit, if you have any Endust in the house spray your air filter with it and circulate the air already in the house.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 08:19PM

Our neighbouring town, 86 km (53 miles) to the east of us has just been evacuated for the second time in a month due to a wildfire. This is in Alberta, where thousands of hectares of land have been burnt and continue to burn.

The last time the town was evacuated, most of the residents came to our town. This time, the threatening fire is between our towns so the community has been evacuated to the east.

We have had an unusually hot and dry spring, and have had very little rain. I've kept our important documents and other important things half packed so that if need be we can leave in a heartbeat. I've always loved the forests that surround our community, but at times like this I could do with fewer trees.

There are many firefighters here from across Canada and other places - the US, South Africa and Australia. Beyond grateful for their help.

Date: June 10, 2023 08:50PM

It's raining here today in B.C., looking in. Pleasant relief from the hot weather (for me anyway, who's happiest in the snow). I hope things settle soon for everybody affected by the devastating fires this year. It must be beyond nerve-wracking. Even being in a city, where there are plenty of resources, I also keep a bag packed with all the essentials and absolute irreplaceables. I feel for those who get little to no notice and just have to flee. Devastating. I wouldn't be able to think fast if word came to get out right now.

Thinking of all my fellow Canucks in this scary time as well as our southern neighbours who have been adversely affected by all the smoke. Sorry 'bout that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2023 08:51PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Scooby Doo ( )
Date: June 11, 2023 01:34PM

Do you think there is any chance the smoke (particulate matter) seeded the clouds for the rain to happen? Or was it already expected?

Date: June 11, 2023 02:45PM

Scooby Doo Wrote:
> Do you think there is any chance the smoke
> (particulate matter) seeded the clouds for the
> rain to happen? Or was it already expected?

I don't know anything about meteorology, Scooby. I can verify that rain is very common in my little corner of B.C. Fortunately, I enjoy cool days and rain doesn't bother me at all. I love the sounds it makes as it descends from on high. Some would even call it music, depending on what it hits as it lands. :)

Date: June 11, 2023 09:36PM

I love the smell of rain and petrichor :) When I open the window in the morning and smell rain on the wind I know it will be a good day.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 11, 2023 08:09PM

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/08/210812092731.htm

"A new study finds tiny particles in wildfire smoke affect the way droplets form in clouds, potentially resulting in less rain and exacerbating dry conditions that fuel fires.

When wildfires send smoke up into the atmosphere, tiny particles fly up with it. Water droplets can condense on the particles in clouds.

The study's authors expected an increase in the number of water droplets forming in clouds as a result of wildfires, because more particles create more droplets. But the difference between smoky and clean clouds was bigger than expected, with smoky clouds hosting about five times the number of droplets than their clean counterparts. Smoky droplets were also half the size of pristine droplets.

That size difference is what could stop the drops from falling. Because small droplets are less likely to grow and eventually fall out as rain, wildfires in the western U.S. could mean less rain during wildfire season, according to the new study published in the AGU journal Geophysical Research Letters, which publishes high-impact, short-format reports with immediate implications spanning all Earth and space sciences."

Date: June 10, 2023 10:30PM

I'm sorry for your troubles! I know that the U.S. sent 600 firefighters. I hope that the situation improves for you.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: June 11, 2023 01:10PM

Thank you for the good wishes. There's so much goodwill demonstrated when countries of the world step up to help one another. We really appreciate the help we are receiving, and you know that it will be always be reciprocated.

My husband and I went out for breakfast this morning. There were 5 Australian guys at the table adjacent to us, and I figured they must be firefighters. When we were done and went to pay, they were ahead of us in line. I asked, and they confirmed they were firefighters.

They are working on a fire a couple of hours NE of us, and have a couple of days break, so they came to see the Rockies. My son in law works on an oil rig near that fire, and coincidentally these guys are housed in the same work camp he stays in. Small world.

I was so pleased to have the opportunity to thank in person a few of the many "outside" firefighters we have here now. And I really hope they aren't called on to make a return trip to my little town in a "professional capacity"!

Date: June 11, 2023 02:48PM

That was a lovely interaction, looking in. Yes, the assistance from other countries is absolutely very much appreciated. True dedication is helping out strangers. Some travel a long way to render aid. I know they are paid but it's a brutal job and obviously dangerous as well. I appreciate anyone with such fortitude and aptitude. I would buy them breakfast any time!

Date: June 11, 2023 09:39PM

I second what NG said :) They are very grateful when we go their way too.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: June 11, 2023 01:03AM

summer Wrote:
> Central Maryland is "Code Red" for air quality. We haven't had a code red since about 2008. People with breathing problems are urged to stay inside.
>

The western united states has been seeing this year after year. It's gotten really bad the last few years. Canada has just really been burning hotter, faster, and sooner than ever this year. The warning of a warming Earth-

> It reminds me of Mexico City when I used to travel
> there in the 1980s (wonderful city, but with
> nasty, foul, brown air from the smog.)
>

Yeah but smog isn't an accident... Not a good comparison

The northeast is clearer early this weekend... Yay!

°CANADA°

Date: June 11, 2023 01:13PM

Yes, it's much better now -- shifting air patterns, I guess.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 11, 2023 08:00PM

I think it's Burning Up...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 11, 2023 08:12PM

Canada is sending us their best smoke.

Date: June 19, 2023 03:41PM

I'm making Canadian Bacon by draping ham on a clothesline.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 19, 2023 12:53PM

Just an update on the aid the US is sending to help with the fires in Canada.

This was posted in today's Situation Report (https://www.nifc.gov/nicc/sitreprt.pdf)from the National Incident Fire Center (NIFC) in Boise, Idaho

"Seventeen fire suppression crews, three incident management teams, fifteen smokejumpers and twenty-five
overhead personnel are assigned to support large fires in Canada."

A suppression crew is made up of 20 fire fighter, an incident management team is a group of 40-50 personnel that manages and supports the crews, equipment, supplies, etc. of the ones actually fighting the fires.

From the Canadian national fire situation repot,
https://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/report (June 14th)

"At the time of this report, aircraft, personnel, and equipment have been mobilized to Alberta, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Northwest Territories, and CIFFC from across Canada. There are American, Australian, New Zealand, South African, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chilean, and Costa Rican personnel active in Canada, with additional personnel from Australia, and New Zealand, and South Africa anticipated. "

Date: June 29, 2023 01:41PM

The mid-Atlantic is in a strong haze of smoke once again today. Going outside doesn't feel good. I understand that the Midwest is in even worse shape than we are.

I will be spending the holiday on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay, and I'm hoping that the breeze off of the water helps to clear the air. There will be a lot of disappointed people if that is not the case.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.