Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Drjoe ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 02:28AM

It is cruel to children and biological parents to seal to step parents.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 04:55AM

Sometimes the biological ones are worse. IMO it's cruel to "seal" anybody to anybody.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 04:58AM

Agreed.

Mormon doctrine and practice resembles forced marriages in traditional societies: the wishes of the weaker parties in the arrangement are not considered important.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 10:19AM

I honestly didn't know step children could be sealed. The whole sealing process is ridiculous but with step children, the process has been taken to a whole new level of insanity.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 12:51PM

Lucky for all of us that "sealings" are just nonsense.

HH =)

Posted by: drjoe ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 01:55PM

If a biological father divorces and gets custody of the children then remarries he can have the children sealed to him and his new wife. Even if a woman gets custody of the children they would probably be sealed to the biological fathers new wife. Probably mostly women lose in most situations.

Posted by: drjoe ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 02:00PM

If the biological father is a nonmormon and divorces the wife will have the children sealed to the new mormon father.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 11:50PM

drjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If a biological father divorces and gets custody
> of the children then remarries he can have the
> children sealed to him and his new wife. Even if a
> woman gets custody of the children they would
> probably be sealed to the biological fathers new
> wife. Probably mostly women lose in most
> situations.

What happens if the woman has the children baptised in the Catholic Church?

Does the sealing get negated, or is this one of those situations that will be resolved in the next life?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 02:36PM

What happens if either party to a sealing wants out of the sealing?  How is that handled in the Hereafter?  What if I go deaf in the "hearafter"?

Given that there are not likely to be any attorneys in the Celestial Kingdom, how will complicated matters of the heart (and wallet) be adjudicated?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 03:35PM

The Bible says there is no divorce in heaven, which means there's a veritable harem awaiting you there.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: June 11, 2023 11:39AM

The step children should "lawyer up" in the hereafter.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 05:07PM

Mormon temple sealings are like eternal bondage.

Why is it necessary to be sealed to anyone in the next life? Does it mean that if we are not sealed we can't pair up with anyone? What will prevent it? Will we be zapped if we get too close to anyone we're not sealed to?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 05:28PM

I think out of kindness that should not be allowed until the children are adults.

But who has ever accused the Mormon church of behaving (overall) in a kind manner? Individual Mormons, sure. But the church authorities, no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2023 05:29PM by summer.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 11, 2023 11:23AM

Lets expand this.

180 or so years ago three of my ancestors were sealed to Joseph as plural wives. Two of them had living husbands at the time.

Two of these ladies went so far as to state in their journals that now their descendants were children of Joseph.

In mormon mythology, that means not only did these women turn from their husbands, but cut off their husbands not only from their children, but from their grandchildren, great grandchildren etc etc.

Of course in the same mythology, these abandoned husbands would get new wives assuming they were faithful, but still the irony if a family based church ripping apart families is never lost on me.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 11:55AM

My husband’s ex wife tried to get his daughters sealed to her third husband. Church officials said no. They also refused to give her a temple divorce, because neither she nor #3 were temple worthy. And, she was told that even if they did give them a cancellation of sealing, my husband’s daughters and former stepson (who was also sealed to him) would NOT be sealed to #3 under any circumstances. The one daughter who is now finally speaking to my husband said she was delighted, because in spite of Ex’s assurances to the contrary, she never saw #3 as her dad, even if Ex forced her to call him that.

I stopped being so bitter toward the church when I heard this story. ;) My husband, by the way, resigned from the church in 2006. The church folks said he could come back someday. He won’t, but I love that Ex’s decision to convert everyone blew up in her face.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2023 12:00PM by knotheadusc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.